• 2 Post By Fk5
  • 3 Post By wwpptc
  • 1 Post By hypermonkey2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2016, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt in canadian climate

Hi all,

I have a 2010 cruiser, around 60k miles (100k km). My dealership is recommending I replace the timing belt (and all that other stuff such as water pump, etc).

Their argument is that canadian climate shortens the lifespan, so the 100k mile manufacturer schedule doesn't really apply (also, even if my mileage isn't that high, the car is almost 7 years old, so on age alone it should be replaced).

Does this make sense?

Cheers!!
Old 11 Aug 2016, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt in canadian climate

Well, I know that up in Canada, the temporature varies from -80 degree F to as much as 70 degrees F. The CO2 level is 95.32%, the barametric pressure is about 100 times less than here and you are constantly bombaded with deadly cosmic rays and asteroids.

Wait.... I think that's actually Mars. But hey, I figure it's close enough.

Joking aside, it kind'a matters where you live in Canada. Lot's of variation in climate just like where I live. Forum member Myckee and several others live in Canada and some of them may live near you. They can likely tell you if there's any truth to this expedited Canadian requirement for a timing belt job. You may want to PM Myckee and ask.

And of course, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Aug 2016 at 12:34 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 12:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Well, I know that up in Canada, the temporature varies from -80 degree F to as much as 70 degrees F. The CO2 level is 95.32%, the barametric pressure is about 100 times less than here and you are constantly bombaded with deadly cosmic rays and asteroids.

Wait.... I think that's actually Mars. But hey, I figure it's close enough.

Joking aside, it kind'a matters where you live in Canada. Lot's of variation in climate just like where I live. Forum member Myckee and several others live in Canada and some of them may live near you. They can likely tell you if there's any truth to this expedited Canadian requirement for a timing belt job. You may want to PM Myckee and ask.

And of course, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Thanks!
Yup i'm in Montreal, where we get -30C (-22 F) to 35C (95 F) every year at least. Humidity is high over here as well!
Old 11 Aug 2016, 01:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

I can't imagine that Montreal would be much worse than New York or Boston. In my experience hot dry climates are usually the worst for rubber products. Out in the desert with all that rust free sheet metal, you will be replacing way more weatherstripping. That being said, 7 years is a decent amount of time for a rubber belt. I did mine at 9 years, but I was around the 100k mile mark.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 01:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermonkey2 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2010 cruiser, around 60k miles (100k km). My dealership is recommending I replace the timing belt (and all that other stuff such as water pump, etc).

Their argument is that canadian climate shortens the lifespan, so the 100k mile manufacturer schedule doesn't really apply (also, even if my mileage isn't that high, the car is almost 7 years old, so on age alone it should be replaced).

Does this make sense?

Cheers!!

Yes you do have temperature extremes to deal with, but as you stated, the manuals do recommend 84 months (7 years) as the replacement interval.

I replaced mine just a little before that time interval "cause" I drive briskly once in a wh------ most of the tim------ lets be honest here, when the engine is running and the car is moving forward.!!!

Jerry
Old 08 Dec 2016, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well i changed it! also did all the drive belts, and water pump. I took a look at the old timing belt, it still looks brand new lol, i was expecting to see cracks and such, but i guess that's not always the case.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 08 Dec 2016, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hypermonkey2 Glad to read your parts changes went well and really appreciate you posting back and letting everyone know!

I have now learned being a member on this forum for several years and working on over 20 different PT Cruisers varying of age and condition the reports about the timing belts ( and many other parts) expected failure times are greatly exaggerated!!!

Except for wiper blades and lower control arms.

ADHD=Auto Detailing & Hotrodding Dude
Old 08 Dec 2016, 02:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
hypermonkey2 Glad to read your parts changes went well and really appreciate you posting back and letting everyone know!

I have now learned being a member on this forum for several years and working on over 20 different PT Cruisers varying of age and condition the reports about the timing belts ( and many other parts) expected failure times are greatly exaggerated!!!

Except for wiper blades and lower control arms.

lol!i have a 2010, 100k km (60k miles) so the service contract is ending now. i kept all the service records, so i'll be sure to post them on the forums to compare the things that have been replaced over the years.
About the timing belt, some say that they don't crack before they fail, they just snap with age with no visible wear.

I definitely have replace many lower control arms and lots of bushings. rotors also last about 2 years. no complaints about wiper blades lol, but mine aren't OEM.. i bought them myself haha.

Tags
canada, timing belt