Is it a collectors item?

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2018, 10:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is it a collectors item?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
I think there is some merit to Pt's having some collect ability years from now but not enough to worry about or keep me from enjoying our 2 now. Fact of the matter is the Millennials really are not that into cars and they will be the ones driving the market in the future.

One of our 2 PT's is a pristine 2006 convertible with 10K miles. It is a very nice example and is probably one of the nicest now in the country but this is how I look at owning this car : I purchased it for a great price almost 5 years ago with 6500 miles from the original owner. It had the stainless dual exhaust added along with being mylar wrapped in front and new tires and battery.

It was like buying a new car for almost 25% of the original sticker price on the car which was right about $28,000.00. We have several cars so we do not drive it much but we plan on using it more when my wife's 2004 GT gets higher miles. I hope that 10 years from now I might be able to sell it for close to what we paid for the car but even if we sold it for thousands less that is still much better than the hit the original owner took on the car when they sold it to us with 6500 miles on it.

My point is buy the nicest used one you can find and enjoy it. Thank the original owner for taking the huge hit on depreciation and for taking such good care of your new to you PT. If you come close to breaking even when you go to sell it great but if you end up giving it away years from now you got to enjoy a great little car with character and style for little $$$$$$. That is a win win in my book.
That is a very nice 'vert

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 08 Apr 2018, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When the retro Mustangs(05') came out, especially the Shelby's, anyone who bought one thought they were instant classic's. You can now a buy a nice GT500 Shelby for around 22-25k. When new they were around 48-52K.
If you like a car your looking to invest in make sure that is what it is. If its a car you like because its cool or a style that makes it neat...just get it and drive into the ground. Have fun with your new toy...just there are absolutely no rules in buying a car that you plan to fix up. Make it your own and drive on.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 06:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree to a point---there is nothing wrong with keeping & making your PT GT pristine & mod it to your taste---( no need to beat it up) if it increases or somehow because collectible to somebody--(only takes two people to bid it up) that's a bonus! enjoy it for it being different a piece of automobile history along the way! Not as many nice ones around--many beat up ones which I'm sure someday will be restored,,,have fun!!