Advertisements
FS--my 2002 Rat Rod PT...flat black & full retro

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By adrenalineguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2009, 12:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default FS--my 2002 Rat Rod PT...flat black & full retro

Up for sale is my 2002 Rat Rod PT Cruiser. There isn’t another one like it out there…truly one of a kind. It has been brought back to the “retro” look that it came from.

It has a full grille and retro rear roll pan (no “bar” bumpers), and they are made from OEM quality urethane. The wheels are custom chrome steel wheels with high-quality Diamondback wide whitewalls (Not Coker) and ride perfectly. It was professionally pinstriped at the Rod & Kustom Round-Up this year, and it has satin black UV-stable paint (not primer), with flex additive at the bumpers. All of the original emblems have been removed and the rear latch has been shaved. The rear taillights are custom 1940 Ford taillights outfitted with LEDs.

It would be perfect for a business to hand-paint a logo on the side of the doors and use for a parts runner or delivery vehicle…it definitely gets attention. I get thumbs-up daily from people on the road.

I came up with this concept because I wanted to create something unique that gets great gas mileage but has the styling of the old traditional hot rods or rat rods…I guess you could say I’m not a Camry guy. I also have had plenty of old cars, and it’s a lot more enjoyable to have AC, power everything, cruise control, automatic transmission, CD player (I’m keeping the XM, though), maneuver into parking spots easily, plus not smell like gasoline every time I drive and not worry if there is going to be a fire or short in the 50-year old electrical system.

I started with a salvage PT that a UT aerospace engineering student put back on the road--- he replaced a lot of electronic items like the computer and several other things to get it road-worthy. He drove it around for more than a year, then sold it to me. I’ve had it on the road since last October and put more than 11,000 problem-free miles on it. It’s been a cool car, but I am ready for my next challenge. To be clear, it has a salvage title, but it was perfect for me to start with because I was going to tear everything down and start over anyway. I had a bunch of bodywork done, but there are imperfections here and there that I left in. It is showing 49,900 miles, but the title says “not actual mileage”, so I’m not sure what to think. I do know that it starts, runs, drives, stops, and doesn’t eat tires.

There is a lot of freedom in having a flat black car that you don’t have to worry about in a parking lot or next to a tree…a layer of dust on it won’t ruin the look, and it’s really easy to touch up if someone hits it with a shopping cart. It’s the best of both worlds---a cool, distinctive appearance with no maintenance.

I added up my receipts for the first time yesterday, and, dang I spent a bunch of money on this car. I spent over $12,500 including the purchase of the car, and over $9,300 in parts and labor (not including the paint labor), so whatever I sell it for is at a loss. I guarantee it would cost a lot more to make this happen on another car, and you would go through a huge hassle getting these parts like I did. You’d be way ahead buying mine at $9,800.

Call Chris at (512) 567-5019. I'm in Austin, TX.

buddyiramae likes this.

Last edited by adrenalineguy; 16 Jul 2009 at 12:07 pm.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 01:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: FS--my 2002 Rat Rod PT...flat black & full retro

That looks like it came straight out of PTeazer!! Nice!
Old 18 Jun 2015, 02:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: FS--my 2002 Rat Rod PT...flat black & full retro

Hallo my name is Brian. I'm from denmark and i have a pt cruiser. Is your taillight costum made or can i bye them somewher.? I hope you will anser me. Brian.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 02:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvalhan View Post
Hallo my name is Brian. I'm from denmark and i have a pt cruiser. Is your taillight costum made or can i bye them somewher.? I hope you will anser me. Brian.

Retro Tear Drop Tail Light: PTeazer
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 18 Jun 2015, 08:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The tail lamps are Not 1940 Ford which is a two bar chevron lamp, but rather are are 38-39 Ford replica teardrop lamps in a custom housing which fills the stock PT tail lamp holes.
Just for your information and clarity.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 11:35 am
Cool Cruiser

man that's sweet... my days with black cars are over tho .. with the temps to 115 here you can cook in a black car....again very beautifull car man