PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds: For Sale/Trade

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Suggestions for getting rid of Dream Cruiser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2013, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Suggestions for getting rid of Dream Cruiser?

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

I got rear-ended (again!) in my tangerine 2003 Dream Cruiser, so I'm getting a new car rather than spend 4K on repairs. Dealer offered me $500 and is planning to auction or scrap it...Any other ideas for getting it off my hands, since I would hate to send a Dream Cruiser to the scrap yard?

It has 177,000 miles, but runs and looks great (except rear end!).

Suggestions?
Brian
Old 06 Nov 2013, 06:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Suggestions for getting rid of Dream Cruiser?

EBAY!! start it at 500 with a reserve price 4x that. if it sells for less than the reserve, you can either accept the highest bid or go back to the drawing board.

write a good honest description and have someone that is good at taking pictures do the photography. good pictures are very important in getting good money. i get top dollar for everything i sell on there.
Old 06 Nov 2013, 07:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

post a picture so we can see if it is really that bad. If you decide to get rid of it please sell me the dash tag. I bought mine without it. Last owner must have taken it.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 06 Nov 2013, 09:18 pm
Banned

Question Re: Suggestions for getting rid of Dream Cruiser?

So did you get your new smoothie bumper like you wanted a fee months ago, go with a stock one, or not repair it????
Old 08 Nov 2013, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good idea about trying to sell it on eBay. Thanks.

Talk about BAD luck...about 6 weeks ago I get rear-ended by a college student in stop/go traffic who luckily was nice enough to then pay for a new bumper + painting ($950). All fixed! Yeah!!!

Then about 1 week later someone rear-ended me pretty hard while I was stopped at a red light, causing >$4100 in damage. Bummer. So we decided to put the $4100 into a new car since we are thinking of starting a family and want something bigger.

That brings me to the current problem...best way to get rid of 2003 Dream Cruiser with lots of miles and rear end damage. Dealers offered only $500, and might scrap it...that makes me sad.

Pics of rear end damage below...plus fun pic showing this year's new rims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.JPG (43.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg rear corner.JPG (42.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg rea.JPG (52.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 08 Nov 2013, 04:43 pm
Young Cruiser

That's very fixable. Looks like a new bumper and rear hatch. The tail lights not being broken is a great sign that's the body damage. I'd doubt if there's anything wrong with the chassis.

I'd try selling it on ebay or here although you need more and larger pictures.
Old 08 Nov 2013, 06:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

just remember when a dealer say's they'll give you $500 that's bs in reallity you'll be paying them to take away from you there is play in price of car your buying
Old 08 Nov 2013, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

True. As I was leaving, one dealer he said, "No wait! $1000 for the PT!"
I kept walking...
Then he said "No wait! $1300 for the PT!"
And then I left, because I needed to visit other dealers for comparison purposes. I'll have to go back there to see how serious he was about $1300...I'm not sure since they'll say ANYTHING to keep you from walking out the door.

thanks,
Brian
Old 08 Nov 2013, 07:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_rumbero View Post
True. As I was leaving, one dealer he said, "No wait! $1000 for the PT!"
I kept walking...
Then he said "No wait! $1300 for the PT!"
And then I left, because I needed to visit other dealers for comparison purposes. I'll have to go back there to see how serious he was about $1300...I'm not sure since they'll say ANYTHING to keep you from walking out the door.

thanks,
Brian
Here's the real deal. The salvage value of your PT is likely $500. And that is what most dealers would actually get for your car after you trade it in. They are not going to fix it and they likely don't want a damaged car on their lot for sale. So they may try calling a low-end wholesale buyer but will likely end up selling it to a salvage guy for about $500.

Anything more than $500 you are offered is really just money taken out of the markup on the car you are buying. If they offer you $1,300 for your PT on trade in, you can likely get the car you're buying for at least $800 less without any trade in at all. That's how it works.

But truthfully, if your car still runs fine you can likely get more for it selling it yourself. eBay is a great solution. Start the bidding at $650 with a $300 deposit from the winner. That will cover your eBay fees if the car brings the minimum and pay you for your time if the winning doesn't take the car. Since you stand to make a little more than $650, you may come out pretty good. You could also offer it for around $1,000 on Craigs List and then allow the potential buyer to haggle you down some. I seem to do better selling on Craigs than eBay on super cheap beaters.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Nov 2013 at 07:18 pm.
Old 08 Nov 2013, 07:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Anything less than 3k is a gift for a new dealer. You would be better off to deal straight out and sell yours on your own. They should discount any vehicle more than that on a straight deal. I would expect to get 2 to 3 k off sticker. So $1300 for yours is money you could get off anyway and still own yours. Anything you get for yours is just more gravy for you. Hatch and bumper and It would be good to go. Used parts and paint.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com