PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds: For Sale/Trade

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Whipple Supercharger kit for sale - new and complete!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2015, 11:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Whipple Supercharger kit for sale - new and complete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I've got a Detroit Allison 353 supercharger that's about twice the size of that one. Wonder if I can work out some kind of trade?
Sorry, I am not interested in trading. Looks like a neat supercharger though!
Old 25 Aug 2015, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
Sorry, I am not interested in trading. Looks like a neat supercharger though!
Thanks. Mine is off of a an engine that was in a Barko 160 Log Loader. I've seem them used on small block Chevy's and I think someone makes an adapter kit and drive unit to do this.

Your Whipple is going to be a good deal for someone. An asking price of $2,000 seems very reasonable considering this is the most complete kit I've seen. Someone with a 2001/2002 PT needs to jump on this and make a deal.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 03:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Drooling a little...

Showed it to the wife, explained the importance of owning it, and reminded her of my upcoming birthday and the '01 PT that needs put back together.

Don't think she "got it" though...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!
Old 25 Aug 2015, 03:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDucky View Post
Drooling a little...

Showed it to the wife, explained the importance of owning it, and reminded her of my upcoming birthday and the '01 PT that needs put back together.

Don't think she "got it" though...
Maybe show her this and then have her think about how Cinderella would go if it were watched backwards.
Domestic Abuse No Longer A Problem, Say Bruised Female Researchers

someone signed up here a little over a month ago and all they wanted was to buy THIS EXACT KIT. can anyone find it? i can't. i mean i tried...a few times.
i see Busted remembers as well. post 3 here.
-

Last edited by rob342; 25 Aug 2015 at 04:47 pm.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 01:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

I checked into it to get it sent to Canada but the costs were just to high after all said and done. Canadian dollar is terrible right now $ 2000.00 us would be around $700.00 more plus shipping ups with brokerage on $2000.00 would be around a extra $500.00 plus 5% sale tax $160.00. Then getting that part made according to Roger would be just over $150.00 us and that's just a guess Probly more here. Then I would have to pay for someone to do the install for me. So I'd be looking at around Just over $3500 Canadian and that's just a conservative guess. Here I could buy 2 older NA Pts for that, so the wife said NO! We have a 2003 GT with the stage 1 and all the upgrades but I blew the motor with too much horse after I put a BWS in it around 330hp to 340 and a used motor plus install was going to be roughly $3100 (well that's what they told me ) and I could buy another GT for that much here;.Please don't jack the thread about my blown motor that's whole different topic.
Point is way to much for a Canadian to buy. But I still would love to get it but in the end the wife is the BOSS lol Great deal for you Americans though I think.

Last edited by muzicmax; 26 Aug 2015 at 01:25 pm.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The only real value to having a Whipple is the looks. There is not any reasonable way to make much more power from it. Any mildly upgraded GT model PT can equal or exceed with less then the amount of the kit itself.

Yes there has been at least 2 attempts at increasing the engines output by upgrading experiments using the whipple that I have been a part of. Neither worked. One was a custom drive gear. The other was via ECU calibrating.

Now as I mentioned an interesting project would be to twin charge a GT PT cruiser. This would allow for total PCM calibration adjusting which would overcome the whipples shortcoming by itself. However even doing this it would still be a novelty because the 2K spent on a GT can yield more reliable power gains.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
Old 02 Sep 2015, 12:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The only real value to having a Whipple is the looks. There is not any reasonable way to make much more power from it. Any mildly upgraded GT model PT can equal or exceed with less then the amount of the kit itself.
This Whipple kit will significantly increase horsepower and torque over a stock naturally aspirated engine. If it was only for "looks" I doubt that people would have purchased these for $3500+ when new. I tend to agree that a factory turbocharged PT Cruiser GT with mild upgrades could match or exceed a "Whippled" PT, but so what? I personally own a non-turbo PT Cruiser as do many others who use this forum. The performance of the GT model does not apply to me.

Quote:
Yes there has been at least 2 attempts at increasing the engines output by upgrading experiments using the whipple that I have been a part of. Neither worked. One was a custom drive gear. The other was via ECU calibrating.
The Whipple kit increases output to 226 hp and 244 lb-ft torque. How much more do you need? Link provided to Motor Trend's review of the Whipple charged PT below.

Performance Trends - Cars Trucks SUVS - Motor Trend Magazine All Pages

Quote:
Now as I mentioned an interesting project would be to twin charge a GT PT cruiser. This would allow for total PCM calibration adjusting which would overcome the whipples shortcoming by itself. However even doing this it would still be a novelty because the 2K spent on a GT can yield more reliable power gains.
The twin charger idea is interesting, but it would take a lot of time and effort to say the least. I think the type of person who would consider purchasing this kit would not care that $2K could be better spent in other ways or yield more reliable power gains on a GT Cruiser. Let's face it, if it were really only about power, I think most of us who drive PT Cruisers would have moved on to other vehicles by now. The Whipple kit appeals to me because it is somewhat rare/unique and it provides significant power gains (especially low RPM torque). I also love the fact that it is a genuine Lysholm, twin-screw design. If it does not sell, I will eventually install it on my car. I imagine that the satisfaction of installing the kit and the joy of driving a supercharged PT would outweigh the fact that there would be other drivers on the road who spent less to go faster.

Roger
Old 02 Sep 2015, 12:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Roger I think you missed the points in my responses? I have worked on 2 and have friends that have had them. One of the ones I helped with was a local shop that does DYNO Testing that I also do volunteer work and have DYNO'd now hundreds of cars so I know what the RW power increases are. I also know very well all the short comings.

As far as what we all might mod... well some friends consider my PT a step back words from what I have done in the past and currently own regarding Performance cars.
I rather like my ET slip at the end of a race day from my PT.

A twin charger set up is actually very easy and cost very little if you start with a GT PT. The reason I said this is to spark some interest in your Whipple.

all in all The whine of a blower is music to the ears..
rockandroller likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 Sep 2015 at 12:42 am.
Old 18 Sep 2015, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

The Whipple kit is still available. Serious offers will be considered.
Old 04 May 2016, 08:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Currently listed on eBay.

Whipple Lysholm supercharger Kit for Chrysler PT Cruiser New Complete in Box | eBay