Advertisements
03 Dream Cruise

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2016, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Dream Cruise

I'm gauging interest here... I have a 2003 Dream Cruiser in great shape except the turbo has gone out. I've replaced the turbo before but, due to my wife's unemployment, funds are tough to come by now so I'm not sure when I'll be able to fix it. It's been sitting in the driveway since October.

I don't recall the exact mileage, but it's under 85k. Everything works (A/C could use a recharge) fine and it has the AutoStick transmission. Physically, there are no real issues, save for a raised tiny dent on the hood opposite from where the stand is to keep the hood raised (thanks to the wife trying to push the hood down...).

I have no clue what the pricing would be, as I don't see many Dream Cruisers sold. This is why I decided to post here, hoping that I could get some fair ideas about what I might be able to sell it for. The car is located in California, between Tracy and Stockton. There are a couple of different pics in my gallery, if you're interested.

Proud owner of 2003 Dream Cruiser #40

Last edited by thetunesguy; 11 Jul 2016 at 04:23 pm.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Dream Cruise

How machanical are you? Can you install your own turbo? There's a sticky in the turbo performance section on rebuilding yourself. Kit is like $35. not sure why you have used up two with your milage.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jul 2016, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetunesguy View Post
I'm gauging interest here... I have a 2003 Dream Cruiser in great shape except the turbo has gone out. I've replaced the turbo before but, due to my wife's unemployment, funds are tough to come by now so I'm not sure when I'll be able to fix it. It's been sitting in the driveway since October.

I don't recall the exact mileage, but it's under 85k. Everything works (A/C could use a recharge) fine and it has the AutoStick transmission. Physically, there are no real issues, save for a raised tiny dent on the hood opposite from where the stand is to keep the hood raised (thanks to the wife trying to push the hood down...).

I have no clue what the pricing would be, as I don't see many Dream Cruisers sold. This is why I decided to post here, hoping that I could get some fair ideas about what I might be able to sell it for. The car is located in California, between Tracy and Stockton. There are a couple of different pics in my gallery, if you're interested.

If you search for it, Busted has a "How To" on rebuilding the turbo. The kit is only about $35. That will replace the bearings and other high-wear parts as long on the shaft and impellers are still good. It's at least worth the trouble of taking the turbo apart and deciding if it is rebuildable.

On the value of your PT, a clean 2003 Tangerine Dream is one of the more valuable PT's. Without the turbo issue but with your low mileage, I'd price your PT around $4000 to $5,000 in Arkansas dollars. But the price will vary based on where you live. However, it will be substantially harder to sell the car at any price with an engine problem. You would likely come out ahead if you fix the car and then sell it, even if you have to borrow the money to do so.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

What kind of a time investment is rebuilding the turbo? My brother in-law and I replaced the turbo once and it took us a couple of days - we were working blind because we only had a floor jack (and the engine compartment is so roomy).

Proud owner of 2003 Dream Cruiser #40
Old 12 Jul 2016, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetunesguy View Post
What kind of a time investment is rebuilding the turbo? My brother in-law and I replaced the turbo once and it took us a couple of days - we were working blind because we only had a floor jack (and the engine compartment is so roomy).
That's the best I have to work with myself. If you disconnect the upper and lower engine mounts it will swivel forward a give you better access. I also have a members project that has some of the ins and outs of the job. Might help with your priest knowledge. Make sure the oil tube is not coked up. A drill bit by hand can help you there. Oil is the life blood of the turbo. Getting the turbo clean of coking is the hardest part. If you can change it you should be able to rebuild it. I'm a body repair and copier tech buy trade. Mechanic by necessity lol. Between your past experience and my two threads you should do fine.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com