Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds: For Sale/Trade

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2017, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Cruiser

Well, I've had my PT for so long the timing belt wore out twice. The body is in very good condition. It has three new tires, new rotor and brakes. When the timing belt went the engine was running rough for about 6 months, but the PT ran and got me to work and back, even to New Orleans and back. I was going to give it to the junk yard, but someone at work tagged me on to you guys. Also, it has a 1 year old radio, new shift cable (very hard to replace)a nd some good front end work about two years ago. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. I'm in Pensacola Florida. Asking $1500.

Last edited by Ginns; 04 Feb 2017 at 11:28 pm.
Old 04 Feb 2017, 11:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Cruiser

So your PT Cruiser that is for sale for $1500 still needs a new timing belt?
Old 09 Feb 2017, 07:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

That is correct. With all the other good parts, I would think that would be a good price. Is that to much to ask?
Old 09 Feb 2017, 07:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginns View Post
That is correct. With all the other good parts, I would think that would be a good price. Is that to much to ask?
Usually when people say they were planning to give the thing to a junk yard, I plan to pay less.
Old 09 Feb 2017, 12:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Even though you've had some work done to it and it's in "good shape", you're still trying to sell a car that needs a $1,200-$1,500 timing belt job. I can find a much nicer, economical car for $3,000 that won't need that kind of work. I think you're about a thousand dollars high on your asking price. The salvage yard would probably give you $250-300 for it. IF you're lucky. Good luck with the sale.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 09 Feb 2017, 12:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Old 09 Feb 2017, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
A 2003 PT Cruiser with a broke timing belt is worth around $500 if everything else is in good shape. If the car was extremely clean and maybe had some extras or mods, it might be worth a few hundred more. But that's about it. To get somewhere around $1,500 you would have to fix the timing belt and get the engine running good. Prices will vary a little across the US, but that's a pretty average assessment.

If me, I'd check to see what the salvage yard would give me. Then I might run the car on the local Craigslist for a few hundred more than that and see if I get any takers. Most PT's at salvage yards either have broken timing belts, blown head gaskets or were just abandoned when something minor happened to them. And there are lots of salvage PT's. So that's what we are competing against with a non-running PT like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Feb 2017 at 12:51 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2017, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Well, I've had my PT for so long the timing belt wore out twice. The body is in very good condition. It has three new tires, new rotor and brakes. When the timing belt went the engine was running rough for about 6 months, but the PT ran and got me to work and back, even to New Orleans and back. I was going to give it to the junk yard, but someone at work tagged me on to you guys. Also, it has a 1 year old radio, new shift cable (very hard to replace)a nd some good front end work about two years ago. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. I'm in Pensacola Florida. Asking $1500.
I'm too far away to be interested, and I don't want to "break your chops", but I suggest you put yourself in the shoes of a potential buyer. When I do that, numerous questions pop up -
- What is the mileage?
- 3 new tires? What about the 4th tire?
- new rotor - 1 only?
- Shift cable, so I assume it's a manual? Clutch ever replaced?
- why on earth would you say you were going to give it to junkyard and now want $1,500 for it?
- if you were in the market, would this appeal to you?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Apr 2017, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: 2003 PT Cruiser

Yep, I agree with all of you. It was just a thought. Off to the salvage yards it goes. Hopefully this week. Thanks to all for the comments.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 11:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

You never said where you're located. Someone here on the forum may be close to you and want to buy it. Don't scrap it until you tell us where it is! Crap!! Never mind, I see you're in Pensacola. Too far away for me.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie