Veteran Cruiser

Default Not Mine, But If You're Looking

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/6214122548.html
Gkon likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 04:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Not Mine, But If You're Looking

Nice car. Nothing about the timing belt changed and it's at 124,000 although he does recommend the oil changed pretty soon.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 04:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Humm.

For that price, me and my sweetie could fly down to Orlando for around $100 each. Then buy this, drive it back to Arkansas, put the leather seats in my PT and then sell if for a few hundred more than we paid for it. Got to do some thinking on this one.
Gkon and chuzz like this.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 04:54 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Humm.

For that price, me and my sweetie could fly down to Orlando for around $100 each. Then buy this, drive it back to Arkansas, put the leather seats in my PT and then sell if for a few hundred more than we paid for it. Got to do some thinking on this one.
Yeah, buy it for a discount if the timing belt work hasn't been done
Gkon likes this.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 01:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Yeah, buy it for a discount if the timing belt work hasn't been done
Discount? $2,000 Is already a very good deal.
**2007 Chevy HHR LS - Transition to LT - 18" Solstice Wheels 235/45 & 225/45
Old 13 Jul 2017, 01:57 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvizn View Post
Discount? $2,000 Is already a very good deal.
According to Kelley Blue Book, in Good Condition the value is $2080. That would be if the timing belt work had already been done as that is routine scheduled maintenance. If the seller can't prove that the timing belt work has been done, then IMO one has to assume that it has not been done. This 'vert also has issues with the power top, which may be costly to fix.

Old 13 Jul 2017, 02:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
According to Kelley Blue Book, in Good Condition the value is $2080. That would be if the timing belt work had already been done as that is routine scheduled maintenance. If the seller can't prove that the timing belt work has been done, then IMO one has to assume that it has not been done. This 'vert also has issues with the power top, which may be costly to fix.

The problem is that it would likely be hard to convince the seller that he or she should discount this car due to an old timing belt. But it would never hurt to try.

If me, I'd like just change the belt/waterpump/etc. with a RockAuto set in the backyard and then use that as a selling point. Ironically, I don't think changing the timing belt would increase the value of the car. But it might make it easier to sell. I went back on looked at the ad I did for my 2005 GT, and I seemed to have hyped the new timing components up pretty high.

[IMG][SOLD] For sale is my beautiful and very clean 2005 PT Cruiser GT Stage 1. This car has many options including the full dealer-add-on Mopar Stage 1 performance package. The timing belt and water pump were changed only 4,000 miles ago and were replace with Gates performance parts. The car is mechanically fit and completely reliable. It has been loved and was own buy an adult. I am asking $4,500 or best offer.

A short list of features includes: Turbocharged 2.4L High Output Engine Mopar Stage 1 Performance Package w/OEM badge NOPI Twin Strut Bars NS1PT Performance Camshafts with valve train adjusted to full specs. Mopar style turbo blow-off valve Rear Sway Bar Full Black Leather Interior Mopar Subwoofer Premium Speakers Hydraulic hood lifts Touchless gas cap Real billet gas door TYC elegant reverse lights TYC 2nd Gen clear marker tail lights DEPO Black Bezel Head Lights Sylvania ZXE Super White Halogens New Gates Blue Racing Timing Belt at 97,000 miles New Gates water pump and other timing components Blue Gates radiator hoses Cold Air Intake Platinum Edition embossed head rests MP3 and Bluetooth stereo inputs Original 17-inch GT chrome wheels Aluminum spare tire Under-seat drawers on both drivers and passenger sides And many other extras

The car has 101,000 miles. Front tires are 50%. Rear tires are 95%. The car is in central Arkansas near Little Rock. It's never been wrecked and the title is clean and ready to sign over.[/IMG]
Old 13 Jul 2017, 02:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

The problem is that it would likely be hard to convince the seller that he or she should discount this car due to an old timing belt. But it would never hurt to try.

If me, I'd like just change the belt/waterpump/etc. with a RockAuto set in the backyard and then use that as a selling point. Ironically, I don't think changing the timing belt would increase the value of the car. But it might make it easier to sell. I went back and looked at the ad I did for my 2005 GT, and I seemed to have hyped the new timing components up pretty high.

Quote:
Handy's Ad from Oct 2015

[SOLD] For sale is my beautiful and very clean 2005 PT Cruiser GT Stage 1. This car has many options including the full dealer-add-on Mopar Stage 1 performance package. The timing belt and water pump were changed only 4,000 miles ago and were replace with Gates performance parts. The car is mechanically fit and completely reliable. It has been loved and was own by an adult. I am asking $4,500 or best offer.

A short list of features includes: Turbocharged 2.4L High Output Engine Mopar Stage 1 Performance Package w/OEM badge NOPI Twin Strut Bars NS1PT Performance Camshafts with valve train adjusted to full specs. Mopar style turbo blow-off valve Rear Sway Bar Full Black Leather Interior Mopar Subwoofer Premium Speakers Hydraulic hood lifts Touchless gas cap Real billet gas door TYC elegant reverse lights TYC 2nd Gen clear marker tail lights DEPO Black Bezel Head Lights Sylvania ZXE Super White Halogens New Gates Blue Racing Timing Belt at 97,000 miles New Gates water pump and other timing components Blue Gates radiator hoses Cold Air Intake Platinum Edition embossed head rests MP3 and Bluetooth stereo inputs Original 17-inch GT chrome wheels Aluminum spare tire Under-seat drawers on both drivers and passenger sides And many other extras

The car has 101,000 miles. Front tires are 50%. Rear tires are 95%. The car is in central Arkansas near Little Rock. It's never been wrecked and the title is clean and ready to sign over.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Jul 2017 at 02:33 pm.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 02:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

If me, I'd like just change the belt/waterpump/etc. with a RockAuto set in the backyard and then use that as a selling point. Ironically, I don't think changing the timing belt would increase the value of the car. But it might make it easier to sell. I went back and looked at the ad I did for my 2005 GT, and I seemed to have hyped the new timing components up pretty high.
That's correct, if the timing belt work had been done, as scheduled, it won't increase the value because it's scheduled maintenance and vehicle values are based on if all scheduled maintenance procedures have been done. But as you said, it might make the vehicle easier to sell. If it hasn't been done, and any new buyer could possibly use that as a bargaining chip to get an additional discount. If enough potential buyers inquire about this vehicle and ask about the timing belt work, and the seller can't prove it's been done, he may quickly realize that he will be stuck with the car or have to take an additional discount.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
That's correct, if the timing belt work had been done, as scheduled, it won't increase the value because it's scheduled maintenance and vehicle values are based on if all scheduled maintenance procedures have been done. But as you said, it might make the vehicle easier to sell. If it hasn't been done, and any new buyer could possibly use that as a bargaining chip to get an additional discount. If enough potential buyers inquire about this vehicle and ask about the timing belt work, and the seller can't prove it's been done, he may quickly realize that he will be stuck with the car or have to take an additional discount.

I figure most buyers won't even know about the 100K timing belt issue on the PT Cruiser. Folks that buy these kinds of cars off Craigslist aren't necessarily even looking for a PT Cruiser. They are just looking for something with the features they want that's in their price range. So the chances that they know anything about a PT Cruiser is likely pretty low. And while car enthusiast like us would feel we need to tell potential buyers, you can bet that the majority of used car salesmen would not mention it even if they knew. And most car salesmen likely don't.