PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
COMING SOON: "Retro" '05 PT Cruiser

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2017, 03:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default COMING SOON: "Retro" '05 PT Cruiser

So the insurance company is totaling "Retro"... I've decided that it makes the most sense for me to let it go at this point

I won't know the exact buyback until next week, but based on the info I have I'm either going to sell the car "as is" or strip off the custom parts and sell it in pieces... If someone is interested in the car "as is", I'm thinking I would be able to sell it for somewhere in the $2200 range. This would include the car as it sits and ALL of the extra parts I have (there is quite a bit of value there). This is a great opportunity for a PT enthusiast. Fix the car and keep it. Put it back to stock and sell it. Part it out. Lots of profitable options here...

The details:
2005 PT Cruiser Convertible Touring
Automatic
65K miles
Stored winters - originally a Florida car - ZERO rust!
CAI
PTeazer Front bumper & grill
PTeazer Rollpan
PTeazer dual exhaust
PTeazer taillights
Halo headlights
Shaved liftgate w/ stainless strips
American Racing wheels
New wide whitewall tires
Fresh chrome trim
Some paintwork - mostly to freshen the car
Rare Mopar Assessory stainless luggage rack w/ hitch for mounting
TONS of extra parts (PTeazer bumper, new speakers, new hood struts, etc. still in the box.

Here are some pics of the car before and after - I have many more of both if you have some interest. The car is mechanically 100% and could be driven anywhere across the country. Although the windshield is smashed, its surprisingly easy to see out of it and I've been able to drive it with ease..

Anyway, here are the pics - PM me if you have an interest

If I end up striping the car, I will sell the parts separately. I know this would net WAY more money, but I wanted to offer up the car to forum members first.

It's been a great car - I've owned it for eight years and had a blast with it!
Old 17 Nov 2017, 06:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: COMING SOON: "Retro" '05 PT Cruiser

Sorry to hear your Cruiser got whacked. I can only wish you "Happy PTin' ", ptprice
vermontpetey likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I hope it finds a good home!
If you do have to cannibalize the poor thing, I have always liked those aqua interior bits....
vermontpetey likes this.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I sure am sorry to see you get rid of such a unique 'vert, you've certainly put a lot of money and time into it

You might be hard pressed to find something as nice mechanically as what you've got now

How does it work if the insurance company totals it, doesn't that mean the title will be marked as salvage and any new owner may not be able to register it, depending on where they live?

But whomever does buy it, will surely get a beauty to start with and will have a very nice 'vert when it's fixed, so hopefully it will still live a long and healthy life

I also look forward to seeing your next project PT
vermontpetey likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
151k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 18 Nov 2017, 09:46 am
Senior Cruiser

So they are going to write off a car simply because of a windshield, hood and fender? Wow it doesn't take much!

It is so nice. If I had the extra cash I would be all over it.
vermontpetey likes this.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It seems to me that if they were going to initially pay you $2200, plus what it would cost to fix the bent top bow, and then the $400 car cover put it just over the limit to total it, that they would have totaled it from the start.

Have they actually told you what maximum value they are putting on it?

I recently paid $1.99 (several sources on Ebay offering this) to pull a CARFAX report for my PT for a pending court case, and per the CARFAX report, they put a value on my PT of $4900. I personally put a value on it of closer to $6000 as it's never been hit, all body panels are clean and straight, not even a door ding, paint in excellent condition, and everything works, nothing pending except routine maintenance.
vermontpetey likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
151k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 18 Nov 2017, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When I have had other drivers damage my vehicles in California I just make sure the estimate is below the value of the vehicle. You can do this as long as the other doesn't have the same insurance company. It has been a while since the last time this happened so don't know if it has changed.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 01:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Unfortunately the books value on these cars isn't very high. I'm hoping to sell the car "whole" to someone who will repair it. If that doesn't work out, then I will start pulling off the custom pieces and putting the car back to stock. Once that is done, I can sell the "stock" version for less money...

In the end, I am trying to recover around $5000 out of the car and insurance (which is still less than I've put into it). I'm bummed about the whole situation, but in the end I doubt I'd ever get more than that out of the car...

Last edited by vermontpetey; 21 Nov 2017 at 09:15 am.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 11:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Even though yours is a beauty it's still a write off. The insurance company don't factor in "custom" upgrades and only payout what the blackbook says it's worth. Unfortunately the Pts are worthless...I have seen a ton of them for sale up here in western Canada..Everyday there are at least 2 or 3 new ads. Most are going for $800-$3000 tops
I've seen some GREAT deals come and go. It takes a special breed to buy theses anymore. I sunk a lot of money into mine, like you and sold it for less then a 1/4 of what I had in it.
I feel lucky though and grateful I got what I did. So I know how you feel..it's gut wrenching!

Last edited by muzicmax; 21 Nov 2017 at 11:49 am. Reason: added more
Old 22 Nov 2017, 12:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm kind of surprised how long it is taking to get this settled, but that may be to my benefit in the end. They asked me to upload any receipts I had for work done to the car in the last year. I uploaded $4K worth of receipts, so maybe they will take that into account in the valuation of the car.

My hope is that they will decide that's its NOT totaled. Once I get all that settled I can decide with a clear mind what the next step is...