PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gen1 Underseat Drawer

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2018, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Gen1 Underseat Drawer

Came across this while at the salvage yard today, too good to pass up so hopefully somebody can use it in their PT

It includes the frame and side trim pieces, all in very good condition, especially since coming out of an '01 Limited Edition (VIN 3C8FY4BB61T542019).

I am not that familiar with the Gen1 interior colors, but it appears to be a dark gray? But if you have a Gen1, you should be able to identify the color and if it will go with your PT.

Somebody did all the hard work as all the seats were gone, so all I had to do was remove 2 bolts and this was mine. This would be the perfect addition to your PT if yours never had one under the passenger seat, or a perfect addition if you want to add a second drawer under the drivers seat as some have done that mod. But I hated to see it go to waste and hopefully somebody will give it a good home.

The price is $15 plus actual shipping charges (estimated to be $15-$20).

In the next couple of days I will pack it up and take it to my local post office to be weighed so that I will know the exact weight of the entire package.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 05 Feb 2018, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gen1 Underseat Drawer

New Lower Price: $10 plus actual shipping charges.

The package weighs 10 lbs and measures: 20" x 14" x 10"

This is the shipping estimates that I got:

USPS $28
FEDEX $50
UPS $40

For anyone that is interested, if you find a cheaper shipping method, please let me know and I will certainly use it.

But what is the deal with shipping charges these days

Even though the package actual physical weight is 10 lbs., using the UPS website, their billable weight is 17 lbs. because they take into account the package dimensions.
wwpptc likes this.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 05 Feb 2018, 05:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Dimensional weight is nothing new, man. I used to run an overnight delivery service and contracted with Airborne Express. They also charge dimensional weight. If you had a 24"x24"x12" box that weight 2 pounds and a box the same size that weighed 10 lbs, the heavy box was cheaper to ship. Made no sense to me, but that's how it's always been done.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 05 Feb 2018, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Dimensional weight is nothing new, man. I used to run an overnight delivery service and contracted with Airborne Express. They also charge dimensional weight. If you had a 24"x24"x12" box that weight 2 pounds and a box the same size that weighed 10 lbs, the heavy box was cheaper to ship. Made no sense to me, but that's how it's always been done.
I know dimensional weight is nothing new, but it just seems that shipping something has gotten ridiculous. But just like everything else, prices are rising.

There are Ebay sellers that offer a pre-painted front bumper cover for $200, which has to be a very large box, and they offer free shipping. They obviously must get a very good discount on shipping, but how can they still offer free shipping on an item that can't have that much profit margin built into it when they have to buy it and paint it.

I work for a very large company and we get a very good discount to ship via FEDEX. The other day one of our drivers took an 8" x 12" envelope to be shipped. He was initially told it would be $70 for overnight, but then the FEDEX counter person was a trainee and when another, more experienced, employee came over and looked up our company account, the price went down to $4.50.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 24 Feb 2018, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NEW LOWER PRICE

$10 plus actual shipping charges (see previous posts for shipping estimates).

USMC '82 - '93
Old 12 Mar 2018, 11:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Shipping has gone through the roof. I have to be sure of shipping whenever I buy on line. Makes it really hard for individuals to share back and forth anymore.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Mar 2018, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cheapest way is likely to put it in a box, take it to the Post Office and tell them you want to ship it "Standard Post". It's the same as the old Parcel Post but you get a tracking number. And it's often quite a bit cheaper than Priority Mail.
wwpptc likes this.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 12:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'll take it if you think it'd fit my 01 base model Cruiser.
I love my car and Cruiser culture.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 07:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeMyShifter99 View Post
I'll take it if you think it'd fit my 01 base model Cruiser.
Do you currently have a drawer under the passenger seat? Or are you going to add this to the passenger side as that's where it normally would be. Or are you going to add this to the driver side?

If you can use it, you can have it for a new low price of $5 plus actual shipping charges, which the lowest I have been able to find is USPS @ $28, so your total would be $33.

I don't have any experience with a Gen1, I just got it because it was available in the vehicle and I hated to see it go to waste.

But if someone else with more experience with a Gen1 can chime in if it will fit your PT, they should be able to provide you with the info you need. But it does include the complete frame assembly which should bolt right into the vehicle and the seat bolt onto the frame.

I just checked the Build Sheet on the PT that this drawer came out of, which the VIN is listed in my original post. It lists the interior color as Taupe/Pearl Beige, and it did come out of an '01.
wwpptc and Handy_Cruiser like this.

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 02 Apr 2018 at 08:01 am.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 07:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This will fit perfectly under the seat of any 1st Gen 2001 thru 2005 PT. As Rick mentioned, most 1st Gen PT's should already have rails for a drawer under the passenger seat. So all that would be needed for the passenger side is the plastic drawer itself. But on the driver's side, someone can take what Rick is providing and install the whole thing giving them a drawer under the drivers side. And it's only a mater of four bolts. So this install takes about 20 minutes or less.

Comparison of frame with rails and without rails:

Seat frame without rails for drawer:

Seat frame with rails for drawer:

Drawer installed:

Handy's secret stash:

wwpptc and rckstein like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Apr 2018 at 08:11 am.