Misc PT items 2

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2019, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Misc PT items 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarq17 View Post
For the life of me, I can't find that little piece. It has to be hidden underneath the shifter assembly. I imagine I'll find it at some point.

I was thinking of just JB welding it back on but since I can't locate it, I'm stuck.
That's what I was going to suggest, since the part will only get downward pressure when you press the ball button, all it has to be is held into place
smarq17 likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
164k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 02 Jan 2019, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarq17 View Post
LOL joy and heartbreak yesterday when I installed it. It looks great and no issues with the plate at all.

The problem is while placing the console back, I accidentally snapped off the plunger piece on the gear shifter.

I have a question. As far as replacing the gear shift assembly, would it be possible to just replace that plunger piece? Or even the stick shift? Any shortcut suggestions will be welcome.

I found some whole floor shift assemblies on eBay but all for $50 plus. If can just replace a smaller part for cheaper that is what I'm looking for now. Maybe there's a way to rig the plunger to be able to reinstall the cue ball. Just asking.

Here you can see where the plunger broke off:

Here is the new shifter plate in all it's glory:
You can see from this pic that I found online about how much you're missing:

The shifter plate looks great and you got it from a great guy, bubba_1952

I have faith that Todd will be able to find one of his shifters to get your PT back in full running condition

Not that you have to incriminate yourself, but inquiring minds would like to know how on earth did that piece break off, might help someone else in the future from experiencing the same thing.

smarq17 likes this.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 03 Jan 2019, 12:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Misc PT items 2

Boy, I am sorry to see this happened to you while installing the plate. I wish I had another shifter but I just got rid of the last one I had about a week ago. I do hope Handy can find one of his. I did see one on ebay for 49 or make offer with free shipping.

I have been in your shoes before (messing up something else while trying to install something)

Best of luck and I will keep my eyes open for you.

Bubba
rckstein and smarq17 like this.

2004 Limited Edition Platinum Series Dark Graphite Metallic Clearcoat Turbolight A/T
Old 03 Jan 2019, 06:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Right now, I leave for work before daylight and get home after dark. But I'm off Friday. So hopefully I will be able to find one of my spare shifters then.
Old 03 Jan 2019, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Not that you have to incriminate yourself, but inquiring minds would like to know how on earth did that piece break off, might help someone else in the future from experiencing the same thing.

Yeah, I figure about 1 inch snapped off.

I was concentrating so much on sliding the rear of the console between the seats that I didn't pay attention to it hanging on that plunger piece.

When I gave it a final push I heard something snap and it took a few minutes to figure out I broke that piece off the shifter. I found the piece and was trying to find a way to reinstall the cue ball. I even tried it as is and hoped it would simply fit inside the cue ball with no adhesive or anything - to no avail.

When I took off the cue ball right after trying that was when I lost the broken piece. It feel out of the cue ball and I didn't see(or hear) where it dropped off to. It's in there somewhere, I just can't find it.

The lesson is to pay attention to the big picture I guess.
rckstein likes this.
Old 03 Jan 2019, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Right now, I leave for work before daylight and get home after dark. But I'm off Friday. So hopefully I will be able to find one of my spare shifters then.
No rush and my fingers are crossed. Thanks.

Also, Happy New Year to everyone. PT's forever.
Old 04 Jan 2019, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, I wasn't able to find one of my spare shifters. Everything is covered in wet pine straw this time of year and it's literally like looking for a needle in a haystack. But I needed to go to the salvage yard anyway to grab a satellite radio antenna. And while there I grabbed a shifter rod. I was curious to see if they were indeed removable. And they didn't charge me anything for it. There's real benefits being a minor local celebrity and all.

To install just the rod, you will have to knock out the shift position locking pin on the side of the shifter. To do this you will need to support one side of the shifter arm while pounding out the rod from the other side with a flat headed punch. If me, I'd put a 8 mm long-barrel socket on a 3/8 drive extension and put it over the pin down to the shifter arm on one side. Then I'd get someone to push on it while I pounded out the pin from the other side with a punch and hammer. I'm sure there's other good ways to do this too.

The pin has two grooves on it with raised edges. Those edges work like teeth to hold it in. So you can't take vise grips and turn the pin to work it free. It has to be pushed or hammered out.

Another possible answer is to just cut the plastic rod to length and stick it in the shifter arm to push on the broken rod. If the hole in the shifter arm is small enough, the piece you added wont' be able to slip past the broken rod and get jammed. But if the hole is big enough for that to happen, you might have to find a little piece of tubing that will fit over the rod but small enough to fit down the hole. Then glue it on the piece of rod you plan to add so it slips over the broken rod to prevent jamming.

Just PM me with your shipping address and I'll try to get this out to you tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShiftRod01.jpg (53.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg ShiftRod02.jpg (45.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg ShiftRod03.jpg (54.0 KB, 36 views)
rckstein, 044400 and smarq17 like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Jan 2019 at 07:09 pm.
Old 04 Jan 2019, 07:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Well, I wasn't able to find one of my spare shifters. Everything is covered in wet pine straw this time of year and it's literally like looking for a needle in a haystack. But I needed to go to the salvage yard anyway to grab a satellite radio antenna. And while there I grabbed a shifter rod. I was curious to see if they were indeed removable. And they didn't charge me anything for it. There's real benefits being a minor local celebrity and all.

To install just the rod, you will have to knock out the shift position locking pin on the side of the shifter. To do this you will need to support one side of the shifter arm while pounding out the rod from the other side with a flat headed punch. If me, I'd put a 8 mm long-barrel socket on a 3/8 drive extension and put it over the pin down to the shifter arm on one side. Then I'd get someone to push on it while I pounded out the pin from the other side with a punch and hammer. I'm sure there's other good ways to do this too.

The pin has two grooves on it with raised edges. Those edges work like teeth to hold it in. So you can't take vise grips and turn the pin to work it free. It has to be pushed or hammered out.

Another possible answer is to just cut the plastic rod to length and stick it in the shifter arm to push on the broken rod. If the hole in the shifter arm is small enough, the piece you added wont' be able to slip past the broken rod and get jammed. But if the hole is big enough for that to happen, you might have to find a little piece of tubing that will fit over the rod but small enough to fit down the hole. Then glue it on the piece of rod you plan to add so it slips over the broken rod to prevent jamming.

Just PM me with your shipping address and I'll try to get this out to you tomorrow.
What a find and at the right price

Too bad it means that you have to pull the console again, but since you've already done it once, it should go much easier. Just take your time and hopefully you won't break this rod.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 05 Jan 2019, 12:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
PM sent and mucho mucho thanks.
Old 05 Jan 2019, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The rod is on the way per my PM. I put the rod inside a piece of rigid plastic pipe so it won't get bent during shipping.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShiftRod05.jpg (76.3 KB, 21 views)
rckstein, 044400 and smarq17 like this.