Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds: Want To Buy

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help, turbo failed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2011, 07:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Help, turbo failed

I need a used/rebuilt turbo for my 03GT. Mine crapped out today.....PLEASE! can anyone help me??

Sylvain
Old 04 Mar 2011, 07:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Help, turbo failed

You sure it completely failed?

Check for shaft play,etc?
Old 04 Mar 2011, 07:47 pm
Young Cruiser

CAr has no power and took 3l of oil in 600kms ...I think it is pooched?? any ideas>

Sylvain
Old 04 Mar 2011, 08:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

No power.....when you rev it? Drive it? At all? Should be more specific.

When I was doing a couple of pulls while tuning, my cold up-pipe came loose from my throttle body and I swore something went bad with my turbo. If anything occurs, I always pull right over to the closest parking lot or something. Anyway, it was about 2 minutes away so I revved my car up and my boost gauge showed no boost at all. Pulled my car over, popped the hood and noticed the pipe. Luckily, I carry a few tools+zipties+flat head screwdriver so I tightened it back up and all was good.

Check to make sure nothing came loose such as your cold up-pipe (from intercooler to throttle body), your short plastic lower hard pipe (near the oil pan, from turbo to intercooler) or your intake (from your stock airbox to your turbo).
Old 04 Mar 2011, 08:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

If everything checks out, check the turbo itself. Take out your stock airbox and the turbo-to-airbox pipe and (you might have to wipe off some oil from the inlet) and check the wheel for play. If it moves around back and forth, that's no good. Especially if the wheel moves close enough to scrape against the turbo housing.
Old 04 Mar 2011, 11:49 pm
Young Cruiser

I'll have to check it out on Sunday....but there is no oil anywhere....and 3L is a lot to just disappear....I'll check for play on the shaft...where would the oil go? just burnt?

S.
Old 04 Mar 2011, 11:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

What do you mean no oil anywhere? I'd suspect that at least an engine light would come on for that. Did you check that on your dipstick tube?

And what'd you mean by 'no power' exactly?

As for the oil 'burning', if it did such a thing (it happens but not 3l suddenly!)...it would cook around the turbo/lines. This would normally lead to premature failure of your turbo. You should only use full synthetic, since it cooks much slower than conventional oil and won't gunk up and clog your lines.

When this happens, the turbo will pretty much kill itself due to lack of lubrication. A way to remedy this? Use only full synthetic, and if you ever drive it hard or drive it for awhile...once you reach your destination just let the car sit and idle for a minute and a half or two+.

Last edited by Kawizx9r; 05 Mar 2011 at 12:02 am.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 08:58 am
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like he is using a lot of oil.

If there isnt a leak it is burning it.

I wonder how many miles on the car, maintenance history and if uses good synthetic and reasonable oil change intervals?

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 05 Mar 2011, 02:33 pm
Young Cruiser

OK....I'll try to provide as much info as I can.....maybe the thread will be moved to the technical section....I guess that's where we are heading

It's an 2003 GT
122,000kms
Engine was replaced at 104,00kms with one having 49,000kms (blew the timing belt)
Both engines in MY care always ran synthetic.
Just in the last month I have replaced the valve cover gasket and lower intake gasket and PCV valve....The valve had frozen open and sprayed oil everywhere....or so we thought. The other was preventive and had small leaks.

Car has the Mopar Stage 1 and blow off valve. It is driven kinda aggressively when I drive

Yesterday I heard a ticking under normal acceleration and also noticed that the car lacked power when I "stepped" on it....it does accelerate...but not as usual....like it only has half the guts....immediately when to my mechanic....I was 2 minutes away...He discovered the car was low in oil and we added 3.5L (on the dipstick) before it reached full....There is NO oil in the engine bay, and i can't see if there is blue smoke and IT Doesn't seem to smell.....NOW he says it's a bad turbo....NO other way to explain the oil consumption.....

My question is.....WHERE IS THAT OIL GOING? And what about the lack of power?

I just now look into the cold up pipe and there is oil in the throttle body ...pooled on the lower part.....I then took off the air intake...I have an open element one and I cannot see evidence of oil in the tube....have not taken it off at the turbo yet...car was too warm. I also just noticed that the blow off valve ....blows as soon as I step off the gas...even under very gentle acceleration.

Bad turbo or what? Thanks for the help guys.

Sylvain

Last edited by sylster; 05 Mar 2011 at 02:35 pm.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 02:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I think your ucp came off either on top or underneath. Like was said mine came off at the throttlebody and I had hardly any power. A huge boost leak will do that. I think the oil might be a separate thing.