PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Borla

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2014, 10:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Borla

Wanted- Borla dual exhaust for 04 turbo. Must be shipped to az.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 11:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Borla

I don't think Borla made one for the Turbo PTs. They made one for the NA cars. You could install it on yours, but I wouldn't expect any power increase. It will look cool though. At one point Mopar was offering this system from Borla with the Mopar branding on the muffler and it was directed at NA cars exclusively.

PT Cruiser 2001-2006 Cat-Back Exhaust part # 14917
Old 12 Dec 2014, 11:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

That's no problem if it's not specific for turbo cars. The mopar borla is stated for turbo cars 2003-5 and has 2.5", piping but because they were more expensive i don't expect to find one.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 12:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Oh I didn't know there was a 2.5" version too. Well good luck with your search!
Old 12 Dec 2014, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Borla 14917 Cat-Back System. Autoplicity.com | Discount Performance and OEM Auto Parts, 100% In Stock

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Dec 2014, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here is something very similar on eBay:

Chrysler Plymouth PT Cruiser Dual Exhaust System by Remus | eBay
Old 12 Dec 2014, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would guess Hundreds of Turbo Charged PT Cruiser owners over the years unknowingly spent their money on many systems that did not even match the minimum exhaust CFM needed for the 2.4 Turbo Charged engine or perhaps even the 2.4 NA? It is generally evident by the lack of flow rated specifications on those complete exhaust packaged systems. Many advertised the single mufflers CFM by itself as if would be enough to satisfy the experienced street modder and somewhat distract from the fact that their system would not measure up to the simple formulas of exhaust flow and CFM requirements of the intended application.

I would recommend to contact local muffler shops and seek the ones that actually advertise and build custom performance exhaust systems. You may find that the pricing is close to marketed systems yet unlike those bubble packed and high gloss advertised systems the custom built exhaust system done correctly can actually help support engine output parts and build power and performance.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Might be like where I live Lynn. Our muffler shops aren't that knowledgeable. Might just give a 3" system on the stock turbo. With a good brand muffler. I know there are those will see this and say ya. But you know that really isn't good either. He would be best to have a setup to ask for Before he went. From those who know what would work best.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Dec 2014, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If properly designed a package system will usually be best.

For industrial exhaust, I have software to help calculate maximum efficiency. This is one of the things I had to master and be tested over to be certified in my field. I can do it by hand but it takes a lot of time and goes-inta's (as my hero and role model, Jethro, says). For any exhaust, the best design will maximize velocity pressure and minimize static pressure. CFM in any stack is always a function of these two variables.

When the source gas is emitted hot, like with car exhaust, it is possible to take advantage of the gas cooling as it travels down the stack. And the standard laminar flow models no longer apply because gas volume is no longer static. This mean that the largest stack or pipe is almost never the most efficient and neither is the shortest. Using the same diameter for the entire length is also less efficient.

Now my cyber-stalker buddy will likely call foul so he can defend his dirt pile. But this is the way it works whether a factory stack with thousand of CFM or a little tail pipe on a PT Cruiser. And the point is that a well-designed exhaust system will take these things into account. Most muffler shops are just going to recommend what size pipe and muffler to install based mainly what they like to use.

If desired, the OP can call the good folks at Remus at 510-595-3300 to ask about there systems. I'm surely Borla has a number where we mere mortals can discuss this with them too. Now, where's my cookie?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Dec 2014 at 07:08 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With respect you did not take into account the thermal equation! I have similar programs and can also do the long formula's as well a few semi and very old programs on the PC but still prefer pencil calculator and a BIG eraser.

BTW try asking Remus for flow spec's on their muffler line. Good luck with that!