LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2016, 01:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Stage One ECU for 2005 Automatic

Sure would like to have one.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stage One ECU for 2005 Automatic

There are a couple of Vendor's you can contact. I think you have been on this forum long enough to have read a few resent discussions of this as well?

Modern Performance
https://www.modernperformance.com/

Syked Tuning
Syked Ecu Tuning | Dodge Tuning

FWD Front wheel drive Performance
https://www.fwdperformance.com/Store/

These newly started threads about this always seem to be the Pandora's box

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Jan 2016, 04:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
Sure would like to have one.
I got mine from the FWD Performance per the link above. The price was $299. I did not have to give them my old PCM and it came with my VIN already flashed into it. I was very happy with it. That part number on should be the same for your PT.

PS: The OEM Stage 1 badge in the first photo was purchased separately online.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Jan 2016 at 04:33 pm.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I got mine from the FWD Performance as well.
When it arrived it had spiders egg nest, dirt and the aluminum case was badly corroded.

Something to consider when buying a STAGE 1 from many sources. They are usually cores that have mainly been found in auto wreckers and the STAGE 1 programming uploaded or as many call it reflashed into the core PCM. The original MOPAR sticker have been copied out of official MOPAR licencing for years. So getting a UNIT with a MOPAR sticker does not necessarily mean it is original nor does it mean that the part number on the core is correct. Supposed OEM Sealed units only mean that the core was reflashed not tested for any internal damage which could result in the PCM failing shortly after the installation. Most retailers will usually simply replace the PCM under warranty.

The other thing to consider is which upgrade STAG 1 you will be getting? MOPAR had several over the years.

Personally I would recommend to just get a DioblowSport Tuning
specifically the Trinity Model. https://www.diablosport.com/products...s/trinity.html

After running both a MOPAR STAGE 1 and DS Trinity 93 Tune on a chassis DYNO the Trinity is by far a better option over the STAGE 1. The only exception may be if you get a custom STAGE 1 calibration from SYKED? But than you can not adjust anything in the PCM yourself.

The TCM calibration changes claimed to be in the STAGE 1 would be a benefit to prolonging the 41TE however there is no data to prove one way or the other on that point? I have race my PT Cruiser in the 1/4 mile well over 30 times and never found the advantage using the MOPAR STAGE 1 over the DST. In fairness I only used the STAGE 1 for about 1 month before swapping it out for my OEM PCM with my personal calibration adjustments via the DST.
The claims all though I have never seen empirical information is that the shift points were extend and fluid pressure changes were re-calibrated? I did feel this effect when I first changed to the STAGE 1 PCM but after the placebic effect wore off I really felt no change. So later at my friends Transmission shop we did measure the line pressure there was no difference between the OEM PCM and the STAGHE 1. However that may not be considered empirical because we did not chart the data only read the pressure gauges and did not load the transmission during the pressure test. Further testing may need to be done reading the fluid pressure while doing a chassis test DYNO run a to confirm any previous test results.

I safely did all these experiments and personal testing after I first duplicated my OEM PCM as a back up should anything I do not go well.

As it arrived from FWD

After a little TLC

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Jan 2016 at 06:18 pm.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PCM I got from FWD Performance looked very nice as the photos show. It came pretty quickly too.

The Stage 1 kit for the PT Cruiser GT was developed as a plug and play performance package for new PT Cruiser owners to be installed by the dealer. It mainly negates engine management controls put on the engine to meet emissions and possibly some safety standards required to sale a new car in the US. The real purpose was never racing or boasting on an internet forum. The purpose was to allow the PT Cruiser GT to be marketed as a performance car. Like with most other Mopar add-on parts of all types, I doubt Chrysler mades much profit on them. Their purpose was and is to increase interest in buying a new car or truck. And new vehicles are where the real profit comes from.

The main reason to buy Stage 1 for PT GT is to add a little horsepower and torque to a PT for "casual" street performance. What that means is that after you spend 20 minutes to plug one of these into your PT, it's then more fun to drive. And if you are a car enthusiast, that's a good thing.

Also, adding a Stage 1 PCM kit to a PT Cruiser will increase the value of the car. Reporting that a hand held tuning has been used on a PT will hurt it's valve. At least this is true if you plan to sell your PT to the general public. Factory-made dealer add-ons generally increase the value of any car. Folks believe they are getting something special and often they are. The Mopar Stage 1 PCM kit came with a badge for the PT. So it's right there in chrome for a potential buyer to see. This IS a Stage 1 car.

Specifically, today right now, PT GT's are very cheap. However, adding a dealer add-on feature like a Stage 1 PCM to make your PT standout will increase the value as much as $1,000. I observed this, researched it and made the extra $1,000 myself pretty easily. And there is a high probably my next PT will also don the Stage 1 PCM and badge no matter if I use a hand held tuner gizmo or not along with the Stage 1 PCM. Some car enthusiast see the badge and ask about it. As far as interest goes, it's pretty high since nothing was offered like this on many other vehicles. And again, it makes it easy to sell the PT when you are ready.

Want to race? Get a hand held tuner gizmo I've got one. Or better yet, get a car that is a better platform to race. But if you want to give your PT GT some extra horses and make it fun to drive and increase it's value, the Stage 1 is still a great choice in my very humble opinion.

But ultimately, everyone should get the performance goodies that best meet there own desires and goals.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Jan 2016 at 08:00 pm.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The STAGE 1 "KIT" was for OFF ROAD vehicles only and was packaged as such by Flight systems for Chrysler.
The original Stage 1 for the PT Cruiser was only ever offered as a complete "KIT" through MOPAR. I believe a member has an original dealer MOPAR Performance Parts Catalog that has the listing. Right Mel

Having the STAGE 1 "KIT" on a PT Cruiser will in fact lower the value of a PT Cruiser because like most performance upgraded vehicles many prospective mature buyers feel that performance upgrades means the vehicle may have been abused. Having been in the Performance industry in many capacities my experience with sales of performance upgraded vehicles most people after unsuccessfully selling them with all the go fast goodies will attempt to return them to stock. Over the last couple years we have seen many PT Cruiser on this forum do exactly that!

The only emission perimeter that was "TURNED OFF" in the STAGE 1 PCM was the post HO2. The PT Cruiser with a STAGE 1 "KIT" will pass even the strictest state of California on vehicle emissions if the emission were still measured at the tail pipe. A well experienced, trained and licence emissions aka SMOG Technician will know that the readiness is missing a needed monitor. We can all thank VW for the better awareness if emission testing now.

Cydi at FWD will tell you that there is NO guarantee what the PCM will look like that you purchase from them because they get them directly from a supplier that does a simple Comprehensive ECU Reflashing and that if you are un-happy with the appearance they will exchange it out. Currently FWD has none in stock and only use to carry a stocking level of one. Now you have a 3-6 week order time.

Some of us have personally data logged a comparison of calibration changes made between a STAGE 1 PCM and a stock PCM. You can request that information from Keven but don't expect us to give you the cookie jar of information. You can buy a CMR program through Diablosport or another high dollar ECU reprogrammer and than you can see for yourself what some of already know!

Read these thread quickly because generally they will be deleted or edited by the moderator after a few that follow handycruiser see it and report my responses.
I already edited most of my original response but felt I would keep the line ^^^^ having to do with "gang rallying" on this forum. lol

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Jan 2016 at 11:36 pm.
Old 21 Jan 2016, 11:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the extremely informative responses.

I didn't see Stage One ECU's at Modern, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I have had pleasant dealings with them in the past for Neon parts.

Syked's website states that they do not have any cores, so I would have to procure one at a price I am willing to pay and this has proven difficult.

It looks like I will have to get with FWD, as I am getting impatient trying to find a used one to send to Kevin at Sykes. I was hoping to fine one from a mumber like the PT chick (sorry, I can't remember her exact username) just sold, so that's why I placed this ad. Looks like I'll have to break down and just call FWD to get the ball rolling.

I'm not looking to try to turn this thing into a racecar, just trying to pep it up a bit and am particularly interested in firming up the automatic tranny's shifts and shift points. I just want it to be more fun to drive.
Old 21 Jan 2016, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

I didn't see Stage One ECU's at Modern, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I have had pleasant dealings with them in the past for Neon parts.

They may have dropped them because of limited availability with the original source. I suggest to call them directly about the request.

Syked's website states that they do not have any cores, so I would have to procure one at a price I am willing to pay and this has proven difficult.

Keven has not updated his site information,I talked to him the other day and he has ECU and PCM cores. We did not detail which case models so again I suggest to call and leave a message requesting current information on stocking and avlible ECU for PT Cruisers.

It looks like I will have to get with FWD, as I am getting impatient trying to find a used one to send to Kevin at Sykes. I was hoping to fine one from a number like the PT chick (sorry, I can't remember her exact username) just sold, so that's why I placed this ad. Looks like I'll have to break down and just call FWD to get the ball rolling.

FWD needs to special order them. You might ask about the wait time and request that they can verify that before you commit to a purchase. The original supplier for them had some issues for a short time but my understanding is that they resolved them. It was mostly about the firmware refalshing done specifically by a single person at the supplier.? But this is second hand information I never completely confirmed.

I'm not looking to try to turn this thing into a racecar, just trying to pep it up a bit and am particularly interested in firming up the automatic tranny's shifts and shift points. I just want it to be more fun to drive.

As I tried to explain in this thread it has long been thought that the TCM shift point firmness was improved by the STAGE 1 however my partial testing and also Keven @ Syked being able to now read the TCM calibration tables seems to show what has been posted information over the years on various medias to be inaccurate.

The STAGE 1 engine speed range under WOT was raised and this may have been what some felt was a harder shift in the transmission?

You will most likely not feel any shift difference driving the PT Cruiser in a normal fashion.

The STAGE 1 also advises the use of specif range octane usage only. You will not be able to use a low octane fuel in the event you get in a situation that there is no high octane fuel available. The knock sensor will go out of its operating limits and the PCM will protect the engine by the "limp mode".

While this may never happen to you personally at least you have read the warnings and cautions on this thread.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Jan 2016, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

It looks like I will have to get with FWD, as I am getting impatient trying to find a used one to send to Kevin at Sykes. I was hoping to fine one from a mumber like the PT chick (sorry, I can't remember her exact username) just sold, so that's why I placed this ad. Looks like I'll have to break down and just call FWD to get the ball rolling.

Yep. FWD Performance turned out to be the best choice for me too. For my Stage 1 PCM, FWD Performance obtained a reman PCM and sents it to Flight Systems for Stage 1 flashing and labeling. Then they sent it somewhere else for VIN flashing. In the past it was possible to send a PCM directly to Flight Systems and they would flash it with Stage 1 programming and the VIN and send it back to you. However, in 2014, they merged their automotive division back in with the industrial division. So when I got ready to buy mine, I was unable to get it directly from them. But I was very happy with the one from FWD Performance.

As far as changes to transmission shift points, I am not sure how big an effect there is. Most marketing material from Chrysler mentions this, but I personally noticed little difference. Low end torque appears nicely improved and some may have interpreted that as a more aggressive shift program. Either way, I am not convinced by some of the internet forum posts I've seen that claim there is no noticeable effect at all. When you get yours, you may want to report back if you think the shift points have changed.

Also, you can get an OEM Stage 1 badge here:

https://www.modernperformance.com/pr...erior_exterior

For reference, here is mine:

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Jan 2016 at 02:02 pm.
Closed Thread