Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds: Want To Buy

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
need a single stock 17 chrome rim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2004, 06:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default need a single stock 17 chrome rim

hey all, smacked a curb today, hard. Need to get a replacement rim ASAP. 2003, 17" rim - Tire optional.

Anyone have a single for sale? if so please send a pic so I can ensure it will match up, or I will post a pic tonight so you can match it up.

I also thought I saw a post for a shop that sells single OEM rims, does anyone know their name.

Mike
Old 15 Dec 2004, 06:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Here's one place
http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepa...ls?id=WkMcLFJo
Old 15 Dec 2004, 07:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

I did the same....hit a curb, bent a rotor, wheel, tire. Also had damage/bent spindle.
I bought a new wheel from Wheels America www.fixrim.com for $250 (chrome, 17", '04). They have a 1/2 dozen outlets across the country with one in my city so I didn't have to pay for shipping. I bought 2 new tires and had them mount them for me.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 08:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hey 2 step, what did you do about the rotor? stock replacment? Do you recall how much that was? how about the spindle?

trying to see what this may cost me.

Thanks

Mike
Old 16 Dec 2004, 01:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Because I replaced everything in stages, it may have cost me more.
First thing I did was order 2 tires from Tire Rack (had a small chunk out of original tire). Parked the PT and waited. When the tires arrived, I took it to a wheel repair place and paid $100 to straighten and re-chrome. Got it back with a bad shimmy. Got my money back and took it to Wheels America and they checked it out and told me it was unrepairable. They ordered me a new replacement for $250.
I drove it for a number of weeks with a slight pulse/noise from the brake rotor at start-up, when cold. After I started getting the low brake warning light, I took it to my trusted mechanic and told him to check everything out. I was in a hurry so I approved him to replace the spindle and both rotors with OEM, low dust pads, wheel alignment and balance for about $650. I forgot to have him check out the control arm bushings so I'm not sure about those. [B)]
Old 16 Dec 2004, 03:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

hmm i'd have to check my receipts to be sure but heres an estimate. i suggest buying these parts at the dealer, they are actually cheaper than my parts house and guaranteed mopar quality(still not sure if thats a good thing).
bearing is $70/ea you will need it if you replace the spindle.
spindle is about $80 luckily it comes with the wheel studs

also check the ball joint: with car's weight on the ground grasp the grease nipple for ball joint and try and wiggle it. if there is movement, it will need to be replaced $65 + rubber boot $15 they come ungreased so dont forget the spooge. also inspect the steering tie rod and tie rod end: make sure there is no play and that the tie rod is not bent. straighten the steering wheel and make sure that both wheels are pointed straight ahead. thats about the only bolt on stuff that could be damaged. hit up a unibody straightening machine to make sure that the chassis is ok then off to an alignment shop. you'll be back on the road real soon.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well just got back from my business trip and had time to take a look at the ride. Rotor disk was sheared from the hub, lower control arm bent at the point the sway bar attaches, and it looks like the spindle is bent as well. I am going to head down to my local frame shop tomorrow and talk to them. I could probably bolt on all the parts, but I do not want to have to press the bearings in the control arm, so I may just buy the rotors and new pads, and let them do the rest.

Thanks for all the input, will let you know how it turns out.....$$$$

Mike
Old 22 Dec 2004, 11:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Update,

I put the PT up on jack stands and it looks like the Lower Control arm and knuckle (spindle) took most of the hit. I took off the control arm, the knuckle, the rotor and everything else looks good.

So, like MasterCard comercial goes.......
Control arm, knuckle, bearing, $400
New Power Slot rotors, $200
New Raybestos Ceramic pads $70
New rim, (still working on that),

Cruising down the road in my PT.....PRICELESS

Mike
Old 23 Dec 2004, 02:55 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Geeze nozzano, what the hell did you do to smack the curb that hard?
Old 23 Dec 2004, 01:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

I can up to a cloverleaf onramp, crossed over the freway, when I came down the other side the on ramp was a hard right turn, with a tall curb. It was wet, foggy, and when I hit the painted cross walk, the stock tires let loose and from there it was a one way trip to the curb. I probably hit at 25mph or less.

When I went back to the scene of the crime I noticed the curb had so many scrapes in it I could not tell which ones were mine, so I was not the only one that hit it. The warning sign was also knocked down. Overall I am glad that I only did suspension damage, no body damage.

I am going to call the city or state and complain, maybe it will help the next guy.

Mike