Detailing Your Interior: Plastic, and Vinyl Trim

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2008, 02:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Exclamation Detailing Your Interior: Plastic, and Vinyl Trim

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the next segment in our Guide to Detailing Like A Pro! In this Segment, we will be discussing how to clean, and dress Plastic, and Vinyl Trim in your PT.

Vinyl is subject to deterioration from thermal heat (baking grime into the surface), UV radiation (causing fading and cracking), abrasion (sliding in and out of seats) and solvents found in some cleaners and dressings.

A microscopic view of automotive vinyl would show raw PVC (polyvinyl chloride) covered by a thin layer of plastic called the "topcoat". The topcoat is the part of the vinyl you see and can touch. To keep vinyl soft and flexible, manufacturers add agents known as plasticizers to the raw PVC. A major function of the topcoat is to hold in these plasticizers, which otherwise would evaporate as the sun heats them. This is why new cars develop a greasy "vinyl haze" on the inside windshield for the first three to six months.

Protecting the topcoat is the top priority in properly maintaining automotive vinyl. All vinyl manufacturers agree on and recommend the following:

CLEANING:

Never use household cleaners, powdered or other abrasives, steel wool, or industrial cleaners, dry cleaning fluids, strong petroleum distillates, bleach or detergents. Use a medium-soft brush, warm soapy water, (such as Ivory soap), wipe off with a mist of cool water and then dry with a clean Microfiber Rag. Stubborn stains should be cleaned with an alkaline (soap) based formula, not a solvent (acid) based formula.

DRESSING:

In order to dress your Plastic/Vinyl trim, simply taka a clean Microfiber Rag folded into four, and spray a small amount of Interior Dressing directly to your rag, and gently apply it to your trim components. Allow the Dressing to remain on the trim you are treating for approximately five minutes, and then grab another clean Microfiber Rag, and wipe off the excess chemicals. Follow these steps on all of your plastic, and vinyl trim components, until you have completed your interior.

In our next segment, we will discuss how to properly clean, and maintain Leather Seats. I hope to see you there!

I hope you enjoy my Tutorial's, and thank you very much for reading my Guide to Automotive Detailing! Till next time, take it easy, and we will see you a little further down the road!

Candyman

Last edited by Candyman; 30 Dec 2008 at 08:46 am.
Old 01 Aug 2008, 04:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Default Re: Detailing Your Interior: Plastic, and Vinyl Trim

Reposting in correct order
Old 21 Nov 2008, 09:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

What is a good brand of dressing I can use on all the plastic in the
interior of my 2005 convertable. Looks like the dash is plastic also
as well as the door panels even though it has a look of leather. I
have cloth seats not leather. The door panels are a combination
of plastic and cloth. Every thing is Black and dark grey so I is a
Heat magnet. I am looking for a good brand I can buy at a local
auto parts store like auto zone or pep boys.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 04:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

I love your detailing posts CM. Thanks a bunch!!!

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 23 Nov 2008, 11:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: Detailing Your Interior: Plastic, and Vinyl Trim

I have been using turtle wax Ice interior cleaner it looks great and protets well. It also does not leave a greasy film with the bright shine and it smells good.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 01:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CYCLONE_06 Send a message via Yahoo to CYCLONE_06

Quote:
Originally Posted by warped View Post
I have been using turtle wax Ice interior cleaner it looks great and protets well. It also does not leave a greasy film with the bright shine and it smells good.
I used the actual ICE on my interior last time. That stuff works really great on the black plastic mirrors and splash guards, and most of the interior is the same type of plastic, so I figured it would work great. Sure enough did.

~CYCLONE_06

"It's been said winning isn't everything... Just not by me."
--Mark Martin
Closed Thread