PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > The Detail Shop

PT Cruiser Forum

Scroll pinstriping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2010, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Scroll pinstriping

hey everyone, ive got a black metallic pt and was thinking about some pinstriping. anyone have some cool examples to show? and has anyone heard of scroll pinstriping? that's what i'm leaning towards...

I dont know how to post pics yet, but here's some examples--

Kafka Graphics and Pinstriping, Flame Paint Job
Kafka Custom Graphics and Pinstriping
Old 07 Apr 2010, 05:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Scroll pinstriping

I had some put on the rear hatch.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 07 Apr 2010, 06:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have one in the same general theme as Crewzin's - got it from StreamlineDesign
Automotive Graphics
Had it on 5 years, good as new.
Mine was actually made for me - not in the menu - just email with what you want - ran about $50.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Apr 2010, 08:28 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Scroll pinstriping

Hey their jon711,

Welcome to the Forum!

Are you thinking of doing them out of Vinyl, or Paint? On one hand the Vinyl is way cheaper cost wise, its not permanent so if you ever change your mind and want to take them off you can do so without any problem, and so on, but if whoever installs them does not perfectly remove all oils and wax products off the parts completely, you wind up using cheap tape, or even using too thin of tape, then you can run the risk of the tape not quite sticking and can come loose over a short period of time, and whenever you wax your ride you are always going to find a slight amount of wax buildup around the lines which can be a real pain to clean off. to give you a quick idea, if I were Detailing it, I would have to go around every edge by hand using a fine tip toothpick till I got all the buildup off. Its just a fairly tedious and involved process.

Now on the other side of the coin, paint is a lot nicer, but more expensive, more difficult to pull off by far, but the finished look is way more impressive! One of the biggest things when pin striping by hand to learn is to teach yourself to paint both forwards, and backwards cause for every stripe you do on one side, you need to do the exact opposite on the other side. Kind of like trying to sign your name upside down backwards. It just takes practice, practice, and more practice to get it to look right. Since I am right handed, my right side striping was pretty easy, but I had to teach myself how to get down the left by just laying out stripes over and over on test panels till I got it right. For me, it took around 5000 stripes just going right left, right left, and so on till I started to get fair at it, and another 5000 till I was even close enough to attempt it on a car. It is really an art form all in its own.

If you opt to go for paint it will be more expensive due to the time and expertise involved. You can opt to either have your striping on top of the clear which is fine but since it is exposed, it is way easier to damage it as well, whereas if you opted to have the parts where you striped re-cleared you are better protected, but this also adds more to the cost as well. Of course I would always go for re-shooting the clear to keep the custom paint work every time, but it comes down to time and budget. To me paint is the original old school traditional way of doing it which I prefer along with most old school Hot Rodder's, but unlike Vinyl, it is more costly, more time involved, and it is most definitively permanent so if you ever want to remove them you are looking at a total repaint which will cost you.

If you would like any more input on it, let me know and I will try to grab some old photos of some of my work I have done, or anything else for you if needed. Go easy, and I will catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 08 Apr 2010, 09:22 am
Cool Cruiser

I have seen a lot of this kind of stuff on Ebay. They have both vinyl kits and stencils for painting them on. I have been considering some this stuff my self and since I am leaning towards getting an airbrush, I think I'll probably end up doing it myself.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey everyone sorry for not being on in awhile, been working alot lately, but thanks for all the replies and input! And Candyman, I'm planning on paint because i agree it is alot nicer, but vinyls are still in the back of my mind. Quicks., those actually look pretty good but im looking to probably get one made for me as well, and certain colors, etc. thanks again for the replies everyone.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

that looks pretty good Crewzin, i just hope i can find something that goes with my car and colors as good as yours does!
Old 11 Apr 2010, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's actually more of a purple shade to go along with the double belt line stripes, the purple welts from Mr Mike and the interior pin-striping that I had done plus the shade shift flames go from purple to gold in the sunlight. Pictures screw up the real colors.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 07:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Check my gallery, I didn't do them but just bought an Aquamarine '01 that has custom painted pinstripes on it.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

PhxPT,

I had some more done on mine also. Some on the nose of the car and on the interior pieces. All hand drawn with paint.