Old 16 Aug 2011, 12:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Headlight refinishing...the easy way

Here ya go Preach Nasty violent wreck last week
Old 16 Aug 2011, 12:20 am
Cool Cruiser

WolfmanG, I'm sorry to hear about this, but am sure glad Robin and his daughter are ok...Knowing Robin, When he gets it back on the road again it will look better than ever! I wish him the best! Ptpreacher
Old 16 Aug 2011, 12:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTpreacher View Post
WolfmanG, I'm sorry to hear about this, but am sure glad Robin and his daughter are ok...Knowing Robin, When he gets it back on the road again it will look better than ever! I wish him the best! Ptpreacher
yeah he's got her all fixed up now, so everythings good.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 07:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to inform us all...
Old 16 Aug 2011, 06:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Headlight refinishing...the easy way

Hey their Chromenut,

Looking way good my man. Yeah, the process of essentially color sanding the poly plastic will work very well and shouldn't take more than an hour or two to complete depending on the overall condition of the plastic. The only thing to watch for is sometimes the plastic will quickly oxidize again creating that hazed look once again. Most people think well, we will just sand and buff out the lenses again but not keep in mind that every time you sand and cut the lenses, you are removing microns of material which makes the lenses thinner, and thinner, until they eventually are so thin they crack. Unfortunately the only way to completely avoid the deterioration is to shoot them with about 3-4 coats of clear, then cut, glaze, and keep em waxed and they should last a good 3-4 years plus without any more issues.

Anywayz, enough about all that stuff.

Good job on getting them all cleared up and looking new once again.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 16 Aug 2011, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had considered the clear, didn't know how it would take to the plastic. Still think I probably should clear coat them. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Preach - thanks for the kind words. The tube grill wasn't messed up in my accident, it was bashed in when I hit a half-full 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid that fell off the back of a truck in front of me, while doing 85mph. Too fast and too much traffic to clear the obstacle, so hit it and dragged it for more than 200 yards. Since I had to take the whole front end off due to this latest wreck I just kept it off.

I need to either take it to a shop and have it rounded out, or get me another sand bag and do the pounding myself. I'm currently unemployed and don't have the money so it's just hanging out in my shed waiting for me to do something.

Couple of pics: grill damage -

drag marks -

PITA bucket -
Old 16 Aug 2011, 10:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you know Cruzin would say if you were doing the proper speed you might have missed it id say if the pt was a 4x4 it wouldn't matter
Old 16 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

I used the Meguiar's Headlight Restoration kit the first time and wasn't really impressed. Yes, it cleared up the oxidation some to make a difference, but I honestly don't think it's worth what it costs. The next kit I bought and used was the 3M. I used that one three weeks ago and couldn't believe the headlights looked new when I was finished. It's more expensive than the other kits on the market, but worth every penny! Follow the directions that are given, take your time, and you won't/can't mess up. When I finished polishing the headlights, I washed and dried them, then put light smoke vinyl over them.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 11:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeCantSeeYou View Post
I used the Meguiar's Headlight Restoration kit the first time and wasn't really impressed. Yes, it cleared up the oxidation some to make a difference, but I honestly don't think it's worth what it costs. The next kit I bought and used was the 3M. I used that one three weeks ago and couldn't believe the headlights looked new when I was finished. It's more expensive than the other kits on the market, but worth every penny! Follow the directions that are given, take your time, and you won't/can't mess up. When I finished polishing the headlights, I washed and dried them, then put light smoke vinyl over them.
Nice job, and I agree, take your time, follow the instructions, and your headlights will look good as new.

I wonder if there is a clear vinyl with UV protection that I can put over my lenses? I don't know if clear coat paint has UV protection, and I'm concerned about what it will look like on the lens. Never painted clear plastic before, hoping Candyman will give an opinion here.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 11:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
you know Cruzin would say if you were doing the proper speed you might have missed it id say if the pt was a 4x4 it wouldn't matter
I know, and yes, was going too fast, just hanging with the crowd around me. If i'd slowed down and there'd still been cars all around me I couldn't have dodged it. Time seemed to slow down, I looked left, then right, but had vehicles in both lanes so I just hit the brakes and hoped for the best. The bucket lodged itself under my tranny, so only injured the plastic nose and my stainless tube grill. Still, underneath it looked like I'd murdered something, all that red hydraulic fluid covered almost every inch underneath. I had to drive 4 more hours to Atlanta, the entire time slightly below the speed limit, worried about that fluid getting on my rear tires......