PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > The Detail Shop

PT Cruiser Forum

polished intake manifold ??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2004, 09:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Default polished intake manifold ??????

Gary , as you know i had my intake manifold polished and it will tarnish easy, do you have any thing that can take the heat and still let the polished finish show through? see it at ptcw.truckmoxie.com/amx1397/
Old 06 Jan 2004, 09:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

amx1397, give Xtreme Metal Majic a try, it's great for polished aluminum. Check this thread:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=5422

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 06 Jan 2004, 09:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks I'll try it.
Old 06 Jan 2004, 09:41 am
Dedicated Cruiser

AMX/ WOW, you have done some nice stuff on your car. I would go with IRPT's advice, since he has positive experience with it already. Let me ask you a few questions if you don't mind. How difficult (and costly) was it to pull off the manifold. did you do it yourself?, or have it done. Did you get any warrenty with the job? I understand the prep work on the metal is important for the job to last. I see you put GT emblems on your stering wheel, nice touch. I bought a set of those spoke stering wheel covers, but I think I will have them painted to match my custom dash covers. I don't do the chrome theme on my car. On yours its perfect. How did you get that pic gallery going?gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 08 Jan 2004, 07:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The easiest way would be to use a synthetic wax/polish and reapply on monthly basis. Use a metal or billet polish to brighten it up occasionaly.

Next option would be to use a clear coat paint. It should be noted that a clear coat paint has a slight yellow tint to it and you would need to polish the clear coat paint (after it cures) to get the maximum shine and then wax it (synthetic or carnuaba wax). Also, some castings are porous and you may experience out-gassing and/or bubbling in or under the paint.

On many show cars, billet, polished, and chrome parts are powder coated with gloss clear. Vintage cars also use clear powder coating (various clear powders are available: gloss, semi-gloss, and satin) on brake parts (drums, rotors, wheels, etc.) to prevent rusting and retain the OEM or restored look. Powder coating can handle heat and flexing (crack resistent). It's baked on at 400° for about 20-30 minutes or until flow out occurs and you end up with a coating about 3-4 mil thick (twice the thickness of typical paint coatings). Many performance brake calipers are powder coated.
Old 08 Jan 2004, 11:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Gary, go to ptcw.truckmoxie.com and they will talk you through putting your pic on that site and it is free. my son showed me how to do it so i can't tell you much more than that,,I was told, that when i turn off the computer ,not to hit the off button but sign off, as i was hitting the off button and finaly after 4 computers ask my son why they were going bad, give me a car give the computer to my son and we are happy.