Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > The Detail Shop

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Advanced seminar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2004, 10:38 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Advanced seminar

I attended an advanced seminar for people in the business, it was hosted by a professional chemical company. I thought I would pass on some things they talked about. What I liked about it was they didn't push their products but mostly discussed application and general product description. First segment was about "combustable" vs "Flamable" This is more important for people using a variety of chemicals, but equaly important for those with little knowledge of these facts. Products that are combustable means that within a certain temp, under the right conditions it could ignite. Flamable means it can catch on fire immediantly.
Solvent based products are flamable, which is why they shouldn't be used inder the hood. They demonstrated one of their new products on a car loaded with tar, it was a citrus based solvent. they sprayed it on and in a matter of a minute, the tar was melting from the finish. I bought some() The solvent cleaner I use smells like solvent and after a few minutes of using it my lungs are burning, this stuff smells like s citrus grove and works the same or better than mine.
Next we used some acids and alkalines. The number one point they brought home was before spraying any chemicals on your wheels make sure they are cool. The heat can make a chemical reaction take place between the product and the metal resulting in damage to the wheel. Staining, even pitting can happen if caution is not used. I have alwasy been intimidated with acids, mostly for health reasons. I have learned how to use acids wisely now, but don't recommend the novice using them without proper instruction. Alkaline cleaners can also be harmful is not used correctly.
Their advice which I agree with is, cool down wheels. DO ONE WHEEL AT A TIME, (this is where people run into problems, you don't want the chemical to sit more than 30 seconds.) work it in with a wheel brush and rinse well. For the record, acids are for wheels *NOT ALL TYPES" alkalines (all purpose cleaners) are for tires/rubber
They demonstrated dressings next. All of you know how I push water-based dressings, they did a good job of pointing out good and bad of both. You decide.
Water base dresssing
Bad> doesn't last as long as a slovent dressing
good> safe for ALL materials, (rubber, plastic, paint)can be applied under the hood, easy to wipe /clean up, not sticky, easy to apply, excellant shine

solvent dressing
good> last longer than water base dressing
bad> destroys rubber over time, sling will stain your finish, messy to clean up, sticky. will attrack dirt and other contaminents. cannot use under hood.

Thats all I have time for right now. questions are welcome here or on my web site. Gary 6 WEEKS TILL SPRING!!!!!!!!!
Old 06 Feb 2004, 10:41 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks Gary, as usual more good info.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki