Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > The Detail Shop

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
10" random orbital buffer/waxer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2004, 04:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default 10" random orbital buffer/waxer

You know, I just noticed that I had bought on of these way back for my girlfriends father. I also got one for myself, because of the good price. I just need to know how to use it without damaging something.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Carefully??? [:I] Better wait until Gary gets back on the Forum, I'm sure he will let you know.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You will not damage the paint with a R.O. polisher..., so have fun this weekend polishing
Old 26 Mar 2004, 07:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Those types of buffers/polishers are only good for removing or buffing off wax that you applied by hand. While relatively safe to use, the quality of the bonnets varies widely as well as availability of replacements. So you may introduce swirl marks on your paint finish by using such a machine. Most modern waxes are easy to buff off by hand and you could probably finish waxing and buffing your car faster than the time it takes to set up that type of buffer. You should test each bonnet by doing the "cd test". Rub the bonnet on a cd, say one of those AOL freebies, and see if it scratches it. If it does scratch the surface, then I wouldn't use that bonnet on your paint.

Also, those types of buffers do not have enough power to correct any paint defects, so its use is limited to removing or buffing off wax. The large size, 11 inch pad, also may prevent its use or have enough flexibility in tighter areas.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 07:30 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

King, the 10" Orbital is somewhat outdated and incumbersome to use. Its larger than the newer design which is 6-7" and when those machines were made they didn't have velcro backing plates or foam pads for them. If you want to give it a go, make sure your car is prepped up to the finish stage. That machince to good only for applying liquid wax, or sealant. Apply a little of the product on the pad, and turn the machine on, work it into the finish. You may find it is easier to work by hand. reason is that is larger diameter makes it difficult to get around tight spaces, and the motor will bog down when pressure is applied. Plus the 10" pad won't destribute product evenly. When Porter Cable introduced it's ramdom Orbital buffer, it was a huge success. If you get frustrated with that machine, I have a contact to get you the DAPC at a discount. Good Luck, Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 26 Mar 2004, 08:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had one of them things.I found it was easier to do
it by hand.I sold it at a garage sale.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 28 Mar 2004, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

I NEVER recommend buffing off polish or wax with a machine.
It is too eash to add swirls and/or scratches.

I agree that it is too big, unless you are polishing a large area, then you want a big machine.

I personally use a 5, 6 and 7" pad with my buffers and polishers.

For sealants and waxes, I prefer to allply and remove by hand. For polishing, the 10" would be buch better than applying by hand, unless you like a good workout, LOL!!
Old 29 Mar 2004, 11:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Humph, sounds like I didn't know what it was that I was buying when I bought it. I really need something that is good for removing swirls and small scratches.