PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > The Detail Shop

PT Cruiser Forum

Does the clay bar work ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2004, 12:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Does the clay bar work ????

One word YES. I didn't do anything all winter to keep my Cruiser clean. I finally got my butt in gear and did the clay bar today and it amazed me just how well it works.. it's been almost a year since the last time I did it. When you can see a big difference before and after on a silver car that really shows me if you want a great shine the clay bar is a VERY important step in having a top notch shine.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 12:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Gary has said a million times (well, a couple dozen maybe) that prep is the majority of work in making your car shine. I suppose that's true for so many things in this life, but let's face it, if your car looks like crud and you slap some wax on it you'll end up with shiny crud! I've only used the clay bar once, but then again my car is less than 4 months old.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Absolutely agree. I never used a clay bar before my PT, and I'm amazed at what it does and how easy it is. Keep moist, rub 'till it meets no resistance. It takes off tar, bugs, bird poop....
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 May 2004, 02:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

what is this clay bar?
Old 03 May 2004, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gt_Cruiser

what is this clay bar?
It's a pre-cleaner that you use before putting on a final finish on your car. For lots of info on how it is used go to www.perfectautofinish.com and read what Gary (he is one of the Detail Pros) has to say about using it. He also has FANTASTIC products that he sells us at a great price!!! Many of us have used them.
Old 03 May 2004, 04:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:

what is this clay bar?
Clay bar is a specialized automotive paint clay that pulls out or removes embedded particles in your paint, like paint overspray, industrial pollutant fall-out, rail dust, brake dust, fresh bird droppings, and tree sap. A consumer or fine grade clay bar does not "cut" or perform any abrasive action normally associated with polishing or compounding, so it can be used as often as necessary. There are more aggressive clay bars available but those usually sold only at body shop or detailing supply stores and are not recommended because they are slightly abrasive.

One should clay their car once a year. Can be easily done after first washing your car then either make up another bucket of car wash or use a quick detailer, some clay bars include a bottle of lube as part of the packaging, as a lubricant for the clay bar. Map out your car in 2'X2' or 3'X3' sections. Stretch and fold the clay after each section to expose a fresh side or cut thin slices of clay and throw that piece away away after claying a section. Some clay bars will stick and leave a clay residue and that should be removed before waxing. You should find Mother's or Clay Magic, both excellent clay bars and includes a spray bottle of lube, in stock at your local auto parts and/or in the auto section at most discount/dept. stores (Wal*Mart, K-Mart, etc.). Buy an extra clay bar just for your wheels, and label it (plastic bag, etc.) so you don't use it the next time around on your paint by mistake.
Old 03 May 2004, 08:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sci-Fi

Quote:

what is this clay bar?
Clay bar is a specialized automotive paint clay that pulls out or removes embedded particles in your paint, like paint overspray, industrial pollutant fall-out, rail dust, brake dust, fresh bird droppings, and tree sap. A consumer or fine grade clay bar does not "cut" or perform any abrasive action normally associated with polishing or compounding, so it can be used as often as necessary. There are more aggressive clay bars available but those usually sold only at body shop or detailing supply stores and are not recommended because they are slightly abrasive.

One should clay their car once a year. Can be easily done after first washing your car then either make up another bucket of car wash or use a quick detailer, some clay bars include a bottle of lube as part of the packaging, as a lubricant for the clay bar. Map out your car in 2'X2' or 3'X3' sections. Stretch and fold the clay after each section to expose a fresh side or cut thin slices of clay and throw that piece away away after claying a section. Some clay bars will stick and leave a clay residue and that should be removed before waxing. You should find Mother's or Clay Magic, both excellent clay bars and includes a spray bottle of lube, in stock at your local auto parts and/or in the auto section at most discount/dept. stores (Wal*Mart, K-Mart, etc.). Buy an extra clay bar just for your wheels, and label it (plastic bag, etc.) so you don't use it the next time around on your paint by mistake.
Also, IF you drop it on your driveway, throw it away as it WILL scratch the paint.