PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mixing 1-shot with Rustoleum

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2016, 02:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Mixing 1-shot with Rustoleum

I have a good amount of paint from both sources - would like to mix a couple for the exact color I'm after.

Since they're both alkyd enamels - can I mix the two brands?
Old 21 Sep 2016, 02:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mixing 1-shot with Rustoleum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGlosta View Post
I have a good amount of paint from both sources - would like to mix a couple for the exact color I'm after.

Since they're both alkyd enamels - can I mix the two brands?
What does the label say?

Some companies warn about mixing other brand even if they are the same general product.

I think test a sample before using your final mix on the project.

Danny aka busted_PT is our resident body and paint expert. Lets see what he says.
Gkon and chuzz like this.
Old 21 Sep 2016, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Really Lynn has already answered this. In reality you might get lucky and you might not. The thing is you probably won't know till it fails down the line. Makeing fixing the problem a strip and start over. If you can strip the item in question.
Gkon likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Sep 2016, 02:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Hey Danny, is there a relatively easy fix for the peeling clear coat, or does the entire area have to be stripped down to the primer, roughed up and resprayed?

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 21 Sep 2016, 03:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
What does the label say?

Some companies warn about mixing other brand even if they are the same general product.

I think test a sample before using your final mix on the project.

Danny aka busted_PT is our resident body and paint expert. Lets see what he says.
This is , but I like your new Avatar! Not sure when you changed it, but it's cool
NitroPT likes this.
Old 21 Sep 2016, 03:23 pm
Young Cruiser

That's all I needed to read: Without a definitive answer I think it's best not to try the mix. Won't cost that much to stick with one brand or the other all the way through the project.

Thanks for the suggestions. When the car is complete I'll post a few pics. They'll be nothing special but with a little time on my hands . . . you know the rest.
Busted_PT and Gkon like this.
Old 21 Sep 2016, 03:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

since One-Shot is sign and letterning enamel, it has additives that make it pull well from a brush. rustoleum is just kinda weird multipurpose paint. i think i'd stick to one or the other. i wouldn't mix them on anything important or anything for a customer
Gkon likes this.
Old 21 Sep 2016, 03:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Hey Danny, is there a relatively easy fix for the peeling clear coat, or does the entire area have to be stripped down to the primer, roughed up and resprayed?
No you don't want to do all that. If it just the clear. No rusty metal. You would need block the clear back to were its not pealing. You will want to do this from the clear coat side. Try to stay off the base color as much as you can until you get the clear feathered. The scuff the color areas. Then it's best to spot prim the feathered spot. To keep the edges from lifting. The you spot blend the repair with your base coat. To cut your blend after you get coverage. You need to thin down the mix 200%and flick you blind out to melt in the fuzzy and hide any contrast in the colors. Most of the time it's better to clear the whole panel. So you would have sanded the whole panel before you put on you color coat. I can blind the clear but that is for the very experienced. I have seen many pros do it well or often.
Fk5, Gkon and chuzz like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Sep 2016, 09:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

Sounds kind of complicated to me. There's a snow bird named Hector that lives a few houses up the road from me. When I met him last year, he told me if I wanted to paint mine, he'd help me as he ran a paint and body shop for 35 years down in Miami. Nice dude and said we could even do it in his garage! I will probably just wait until he shows up in November and get him to help me. I'd really like to get it right the first time and not have it look like crap. I can paint a house like a pro, but have never tried my hand at cars. First I have to save up enough money to replace this damned leaking rack. I'm putting a pint of fluid in it every other day now.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 22 Sep 2016, 10:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
No you don't want to do all that. If it just the clear. No rusty metal. You would need block the clear back to were its not pealing. You will want to do this from the clear coat side. Try to stay off the base color as much as you can until you get the clear feathered. The scuff the color areas. Then it's best to spot prim the feathered spot. To keep the edges from lifting. The you spot blend the repair with your base coat. To cut your blend after you get coverage. You need to thin down the mix 200%and flick you blind out to melt in the fuzzy and hide any contrast in the colors. Most of the time it's better to clear the whole panel. So you would have sanded the whole panel before you put on you color coat. I can blind the clear but that is for the very experienced. I have seen many pros do it well or often.
Great info. Thanks!