PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
clearcoat

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2016, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default clearcoat

I have a 2003 White PT Cruiser and live in a sunny, hot climate and my car has never been kept in a garage. Recently, I noticed that a small patch of clear coat is starting to peel off at the very rear of the roof right above the rear door. I'm sure that it will spread. Is there any way to keep this from happening? Thanks.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 04:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: clearcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
I have a 2003 White PT Cruiser and live in a sunny, hot climate and my car has never been kept in a garage. Recently, I noticed that a small patch of clear coat is starting to peel off at the very rear of the roof right above the rear door. I'm sure that it will spread. Is there any way to keep this from happening? Thanks.
I would some info on this, too, as on my '05 the delamination is starting on the roof, the hood, and the very tops of the front fenders. And I thought keeping the paint all waxed up (which I have done) would help prevent this. Granted, the car sits outside all the time, but my other PT does, too, and no clear coat peeling off even though the car is three years older (both patriot blue). If you hear anything, please let me know!
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 14 Oct 2016, 05:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm no paint expert by any means but reading on paint sites it may be that the time between last base coat and clear was to long..

Just the other day I was pressure washing my car because of baked on tree sap and I started taking clear off the hood and the pressure washer isn't all that powerful.
thecabinguy likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 14 Oct 2016 at 05:23 pm.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 07:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

You guys need to PM BustedPT. Danny knows his stuff about paint and body work. He's offered to help me via telephone, but I'v just reached the point where I don't care how mine looks anymore. I just want it to get me from point A to point B and back to point A again. Which is does, so I'm good. I've given up on the paint.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie

Last edited by chuzz; 17 Oct 2016 at 08:45 am.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 11:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
You guys need to PM BustePT. Danny knows his stuff about paint and body work. He's offered to help me via telephone, but I'v just reached the point where I don't care how mine looks anymore. I just want it to get me from point A to point B and back to point A again. Which is does, so I'm good. I've given up on the paint.
I know what you mean, Chuzz. Now one of my PTs needs a paint job but, at 98,000 miles, also needs the timing belt and all that goes with it. For both now I'm looking at least a $3,000 bill. I figure the mechanics are far more important so looks like my car will soon look like it was just dragged in from sitting in a junk yard. As you said, it will still get me from point A to point B and back to point A again. Maybe next year I can deal with the paint.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock

Last edited by thecabinguy; 15 Oct 2016 at 05:30 pm.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 05:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Too many people worry about aesthetics nowadays. I used to be like that, but I've always made sure my cars are reliable first. Gone are the days of washing and waxing it several times a year. I wash mine every 6-8 weeks and wax about twice a year, and that's in a good year! LOL Don't worry about how it looks. Just watch the faces of the punks in their fart can imports when they get smoked by you off the light!

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 15 Oct 2016, 05:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Too many people worry about aesthetics nowadays. I used to be like that, but I've always made sure my cars are reliable first. Gone are the days of washing and waxing it several times a year. I wash mine every 6-8 weeks and wax about twice a year, and that's in a good year! LOL Don't worry about how it looks. Just watch the faces of the punks in their fart can imports when they get smoked by you off the light!
HA! Love your outlook. True, paint is only asthetics. Mine doesn't look super bad now but each and every month I can see a change. Okay, I'll try to lighten up about being so concerned in how it looks. No one drives the car but me anyway, so, what the heck.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 01:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
I would some info on this, too, as on my '05 the delamination is starting on the roof, the hood, and the very tops of the front fenders. And I thought keeping the paint all waxed up (which I have done) would help prevent this. Granted, the car sits outside all the time, but my other PT does, too, and no clear coat peeling off even though the car is three years older (both patriot blue). If you hear anything, please let me know!
I started a thread like this over two years ago when the same thing was happening on the roof of my 2001 Limited. And like in this thread, there were no good answers. Danny (Busted_PT) has some good tips, but basically, the message is that the damage is done.

What I did on my 2001 Limited was to lightly sand the edges and crusted-over areas of the damaged clearcoat with very fine sandpaper. Then I used MANY coats of wax on it. Eventually, those areas became smooth and shiny again. However, the discoloration remained. But they weren't that noticeable on the roof. And I had to keep up this thick coat of wax to keep the effect going. As a side note, for non-show-car quality good looks at 10 feet away with your eyes squinted, a really good wax job can make some really worn out paint look good.

There's various U-Tube videos on various other techniques, but some are very difficult and others likely don't work well. Danny's advice was best at the time. But lightly sanding and using the wax worked best for me.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Oct 2016 at 01:31 pm.
Old 18 Oct 2016, 02:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advise, I'll give it a try.
Old 18 Oct 2016, 12:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Thanks for the advise, I'll give it a try.
What are your skills in useing paint. Or even primer?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com