Advertisements
Underhood detailing

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2017, 04:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Underhood detailing

So as part of my "Retro" refurbish project, I'd like to detail and spiff up under the hood for the occasional car show. I'm looking for ideas on what I can do to dress up things, while keeping the budget to a minimum.

I did splurge for a CAI, which I am thinking I will paint my aqua trim color. I saw a turbo engine intake cover on ebay, but wasn't sure if it would fit my car or not. If so, they seem reasonable and I could also paint it to match also.

I know the stainless panels are still available for the underside of the hood, but they're very expensive.

Other ideas or pics I can steal creativity from?
Old 27 Mar 2017, 10:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Underhood detailing

all of crewzin's photos. I painted the upper airbox the body color. Planned to paint the valve cover the body color as well. Then pain the fins on the upper intake manifold, but that may be different for the turbos. Generally do what you think looks good.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 29 Mar 2017, 09:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Will this cover fit on my car? I was thinking of painting it the same aqua color as my dash parts and maybe doing the same with the CAI tube. Then adding chrome bits here and there to the rest...

Engine cover for 2.4L Turbo PT Cruiser Turbo | eBay
Old 29 Mar 2017, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpetey View Post
Will this cover fit on my car? I was thinking of painting it the same aqua color as my dash parts and maybe doing the same with the CAI tube. Then adding chrome bits here and there to the rest...

Engine cover for 2.4L Turbo PT Cruiser Turbo | eBay
The plastic intake cover will fit on the older cast aluminum turbo intake manifolds. It may need some minor clipping here and there and you will need to find a way to fasten it. But reports are that this is easy to do. There's several threads on this back in the early 2005 time frame where past members did it. Also, to my knowledge it will not fit on the plastic NA intake manifold.

Here' the engine on my past 2005 GT:

PS: Forum member Myckee may have one of these turbo covers for sale. You might PM him and ask.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Mar 2017 at 09:41 am.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 10:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The plastic intake cover will fit on the older cast aluminum turbo intake manifolds. It may need some minor clipping here and there and you will need to find a way to fasten it. But reports are that this is easy to do. There's several threads on this back in the early 2005 time frame where past members did it. Also, to my knowledge it will not fit on the plastic NA intake manifold.

Here' the engine on my past 2005 GT:

PS: Forum member Myckee may have one of these turbo covers for sale. You might PM him and ask.
Perfect - thank you!!!
Old 29 Mar 2017, 11:02 am
Senior Cruiser

You want to put the plastic cover on the aluminum manifold or you have a non-turbo? If you have the aluminum manifold, you can polish it up and paint. I did a quicky polish job on the raised letters on mine. It seems kind of porous, so you have sand down a bit before it gets real smooth. I think Nitro has some pictures with very nice polish work and red powdercoat. I have painted other cars intakes and valve covers with crinkle paint, both black and red. It can look awesome, but isn't always super durable. I don't know about crinkle aqua though.
vermontpetey and NitroPT like this.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 11:06 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
You want to put the plastic cover on the aluminum manifold or you have a non-turbo? If you have the aluminum manifold, you can polish it up and paint. I did a quicky polish job on the raised letters on mine. It seems kind of porous, so you have sand down a bit before it gets real smooth. I think Nitro has some pictures with very nice polish work and red powdercoat. I have painted other cars intakes and valve covers with crinkle paint, both black and red. It can look awesome, but isn't always super durable. I don't know about crinkle aqua though.
Mine is the turbo with the aluminum manifold. I did consider removing it and sending it out to be professionally polished or powder coated, but in the end I think painting a cover will look good too. I'm mostly just trying to dress things up a bit...

I see that American Car Craft has some stainless covers and such, but they aren't cheap. I was considering making some of my own panels out of lexan and then covering them in vinyl maybe (like for a battery cover). Some of this could be Velcro pieces since they are just for show...

Last edited by vermontpetey; 29 Mar 2017 at 11:12 am.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 11:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Still haven't ruled out doing something with this either...

Old 29 Mar 2017, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It is VERY easy to attach a cover from a newer PT Cruiser Turbo Model on an early aluminum intake. Somewhere on this forum I have pictures fitting even on a very modified aluminum intake.

Also I have done 3 powder coated intakes for various members on this forum that I think they will all post came out "ROCKIN" "KICK ASS" for looks.

I did 3 step color on 2 of them one blue and the other orange. The last was a simple RED.

I know that at least the Orange and Blue have been posted in the last year or so.

You can easily rattle can most all colors on the intake as it does not exceed 400F which some paints may burn. With that in mind there are some very "KOOL" Chromatic Colors available which may be unique and very appealing?
Old 25 May 2017, 08:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Great job!