• 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By 044400
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2017, 09:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Yearly interior shampoo

It's that time of the year again. Time for the deep cleansing.
Just can't vacuum thoroughly or spot clean spilled drinks with the seats installed.
This is my second year performing this feat. I'm still convinced the previous owner enjoyed
taking their short white haired furry pet to the beach. Will I ever be able to get it all out???
FYI, those 4 seats have a combined weight of 225 lbs.

Essentials: glass cleaner, leather conditioner and scotch guard

I always thought my RF camaro floor mat fit better in the LF of the Cruiser

than the strangely and inadequately shaped Cruiser mat

Last edited by 044400; 01 Jun 2017 at 08:41 am.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 01:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Yearly interior shampoo

That is a darn good fit courtesy of General Motors, isn't it? I'll keep that in mind next time I go the yard.

I was sure those seats weighed near about 500 pounds the three or four times I have removed them in and around my three Cruisers. It must be my advanced age speaking to me.
I often feel I weigh that much when trying to roll over and get up from under one of them too. I do weigh half that, oh no...
Gkon and 044400 like this.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 02 Jun 2017 at 02:01 pm.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 02:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
That is a darn good fit courtesy of General Motors, isn't it? I'll keep that in mind next time I go the yard.

I was sure those seats weighed near about 500 pounds the three or four times I have removed them in and around my three Cruisers. It must be my advanced age speaking to me.
I often feel I weigh that much when trying to roll over and get up from under one of them too. I do weigh half that, oh no...
4th gen (93-02) camaros and firebirds are plentiful in most boneyards. But as you know, condition and availability are hit and miss.

Yeah, LOL, those seats felt heavier re-installing.
Gkon likes this.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 06:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Nice job on the "Spring Cleaning"! I can attest to that combined weight. SOOO BIG just got a set of "new" seats just like yours. They came from a great find at our local LKQ yard. $158 out the door! I first hauled them out of the LKQ salvage yard. I hauled them into my apartment for cleaning and reassembly and then I hauled them that last 200 feet to the FPL right away where I'd parked SOOO BIG to put them in.

Let's see, 225 X 3 = 675. just call me Arnold Schwarzenegger!

We're not allowed to do mechanical work on premise so I work on SOOO BIG on the FPL right away. It runs right next to our apartment complex. That strange electrical buzzing in my head from the overhead high power electrical lines was resolved with an aluminum foil cap!

I really like my "new" seats. Yours look great!

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1621 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1622 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1623 (480x640).jpg
044400 likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

PTPrice, I feel like I am looking at the interior of my car when I see your pictures. Except your seatbacks have cargo nets on BOTH seats, my originals only have the net on one seatback. Also different is my seats have the heat controls. Something not really needed in FL or the desert where I live but it was a unique experience having my butt cheeks warmed on the way to work at O' dark hundred last winter.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by 044400; 03 Jun 2017 at 08:44 am.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 08:38 am
Senior Cruiser

044400, HOW I FEEL ABOUT SEAT HEATERS! I was driving a new Ford Explorer rental last year that had a myriad of extensive but confusing controls on the steering wheel. I must have accidentally activated the seat heater and it was set on an extremely high setting! I didn't know how to turn the damn thing off. My only option was to pull off the interstate and make an emergency exit from that seat. Some very delicate anatomy, not my cheeks, were nearly cooked to well done!. While the seat and me were cooling of I read the manual and thankfully got it under control. I will never have a seat heater in SOOO BIG for that reason.

On a subject more related to your thread, I got SOOO BIG's "new" seats from a 2001 PT with low mileage and a blown engine. It was obvious the PT had been garage kept and the interior was well cared for.The seats in that first year PT Cruiser have all the bells and whistles that I'm sure production costs eliminated in later years. To me they sit with a more comfortable firmness than SOOO BIG's original leather W.P. Chrysler Signature Series seats. It's just a personal preference but I like 'em! I like the dual storage areas behind each front seat back and the passenger seat back is still fully adjustable and folds down flat for carrying long loads.

How do you clean the suede on your seats? I use Meguiar's cleaner - conditioner wipes on the leather and vinyl but the care of the suede is new to me. I was advised by a good upholster to use a solution of Dawn Dish detergent on the suede. I did that while I still had the seats in my apartment. It did clean it up the suede nicely but is there a more specific product that you might use as a suede cleaner - conditioner? Is an old timely suede brush in my future?

Happy PT', ptprice
044400 likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 09:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

ptprice,

Rental cars, ha ha ha. I've had my share of experiences (and distractions) while trying to navigate unfamiliar territory.

You really got a great used set of seats and a decent price. What a great feeling when upgrading your ride.

BTW, I recently acquired a SUV with leather seats. It has most likely been outside in the desert all of it's 14 years. Even though it's a 2003, those seats never got any care. They are starting to crack and the leather is very hard. I just gave that car the same full on treatment as the PT. But I think it is too late, the leather will never be supple like on my PT.

I'm no authority on how to clean the suede. Perhaps google it.
I simply used my steam shampoo cleaner on it like I did on the carpet. Then followed up with scotch guard. But there is probably a spot cleaning method too.

I wish all leather seats had suede inserts like the PT to prevent hot legs when wearing shorts.
ptprice likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 10:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 044400 View Post
ptprice,

Rental cars, ha ha ha. I've had my share of experiences (and distractions) while trying to navigate unfamiliar territory.

You really got a great used set of seats and a decent price. What a great feeling when upgrading your ride.

BTW, I recently acquired a SUV with leather seats. It has most likely been outside in the desert all of it's 14 years. Even though it's a 2003, those seats never got any care. They are starting to crack and the leather is very hard. I just gave that car the same full on treatment as the PT. But I think it is too late, the leather will never be supple like on my PT.

I'm no authority on how to clean the suede. Perhaps google it.
I simply used my steam shampoo cleaner on it like I did on the carpet. Then followed up with scotch guard. But there is probably a spot cleaning method too.

I wish all leather seats had suede inserts like the PT to prevent hot legs when wearing shorts.
044400eo. One of the upholsterers I met in my SOOO BIG seat odyssey was a knowledgeable expert who represents a company called FIBRENEW. Experts in leather and plastic restoration. If only I'd found him first. Using special adhesives, glues, coatings, dyes, light sanding and other trade mark secrets, they refinish and in most cases completely restore among other things, cracks in leather.

Happy PTin', ptprice
044400 likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 10:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 044400 View Post
I always thought my RF camaro floor mat fit better in the LF of the Cruiser

than the strangely and inadequately shaped Cruiser mat
Ya...my MINI mats fit better in the PT and protect more area and IMO look better then the Chrysler PT Cruiser mats.
044400 likes this.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 10:04 am
Young Cruiser

been tempted to do that myself for years now but the unwieldiness of the seats are off-putting. but the previous owner of my car had a little scottish terrier that shed all over all the seats and the carpet and i've used rug cleaner on them and still can't get the hair and smell out. it's kind of weird when friends ride in it and say they didn't know i had a dog. i don't. ha. but good for you, being able to sling those seats in and out and give the interior a deep clean!

[QUOTE=044400;655604]It's that time of the year again. Time for the deep cleansing.
Just can't vacuum thoroughly or spot clean spilled drinks with the seats installed.
This is my second year performing this feat. I'm still convinced the previous owner enjoyed
taking their short white haired furry pet to the beach. Will I ever be able to get it all out???
FYI, those 4 seats have a combined weight of 225 lbs.