PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine clean and headlight restore...yay or nay

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2017, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine clean and headlight restore...yay or nay

My method of washing a dirty PT engine is to gently wash it at the carwash several times until clean. Then I just hit it every once in a while to knock off the dust or if I do anything under the hood to get something dirty or oily. I usually do this right before going to the hand-wash car wash to let me "team" do the rest. If something is particularly oily, I will take a can of engine clean with me to the car wash, stray the offensive area, let it soak a few minutes and then lightly clean as usual. This all works well and as my photos show, my engine stays pretty clean.

On the headlights, if they are foggy, I wouldn't mess with them. Even with sanding cleaning, coating, polishing, sealing and all the other stuff folks do, they normally will just get foggy again over time and require more work. The best plan I've found is just to replace them with good quality replacements. I like the Depo brand myself and have installed them on all three PT's I've owned. These will give several years of worry free good looks.
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Jul 2017 at 05:43 pm.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg

Thanks for all the great input and advice!

I have no clue what a TIPM is

But my fear was the moisture might ruin something but it sounds like others have had no problems and he said he's done PTs before.

The headlights he's also doing for free so I am going to go ahead and let him...since he doesn't do the clear coat if I decide to do it myself does anyone have a specific brand they would recommend.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoostangRita View Post
Attachment 23596

Attachment 23597

Thanks for all the great input and advice!

I have no clue what a TIPM is

But my fear was the moisture might ruin something but it sounds like others have had no problems and he said he's done PTs before.

The headlights he's also doing for free so I am going to go ahead and let him...since he doesn't do the clear coat if I decide to do it myself does anyone have a specific brand they would recommend.
The last step he should do is seal the headlights, you want to maintain that seal and at any auto parts stores there are products to wax headlights, periodically apply that and they should stay clear.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 14 Jul 2017, 07:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
My method of washing a dirty PT engine is to gently wash it at the carwash several times until clean. Then I just hit it every once in a while to knock off the dust or if I do anything under the hood to get something dirty or oily. I usually do this right before going to the hand-wash car wash to let me "team" do the rest. If something is particularly oily, I will take a can of engine clean with me to the car wash, stray the offensive area, let it soak a few minutes and then lightly clean as usual. This all works well and as my photos show, my engine stays pretty clean.
This may sound kind of strange, but I don't think so, I always clean my car before taking it to a shop for any kind of work. I want them to see how I take care of my car, I always get compliments from the shop on how well maintained it is, and I give them a clean car, I expect them to give me back a clean car.
Gkon likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 14 Jul 2017, 07:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
This may sound kind of strange, but I don't think so, I always clean my car before taking it to a shop for any kind of work. I want them to see how I take care of my car, I always get compliments from the shop on how well maintained it is, and I give them a clean car, I expect them to give me back a clean car.
I'm the same. Although, many times I've brought in a clean vehicle only to get it back full of footprints and fingerprints. Needless to say, I ask them to clean it to the condition I brought it to them before I'll take it.
rckstein likes this.