PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I like the "lived-in look"

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2018, 02:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default I like the "lived-in look"

To thwart would be car thieves and/ or those who might covet my coat or phone etc. I try to keep my car looking rugged. But I would like to improve what's under the hood. I bought it used and judging from the number of parts with numbers grease penciled it's been wrecked at least once. I would like to gently clean the engine to get an assessment of what needs to be replaced with non salvage parts. However I don't have a private driveway. Any tips on products that will do some of the scrubbing so I don't have to go full blast with the power wand at the car wash? Thanks in advance. (Insert emoji gratitude face here)
Old 13 Sep 2018, 03:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: I like the "lived-in look"

I like to use Simple Green. Spray it on and hose of with a sprayer attached to the garden hose before it dries. This is a good cleaner/degreaser.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Last edited by VsandFords; 14 Sep 2018 at 11:44 am.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 07:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: I like the "lived-in look"

Purple Power works well too.

And a garden sprayer with water to rinse it off.
Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-20000-.../dp/B000E28UQU
OldMiner likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 19 Sep 2018, 12:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Purple Power works well too.

And a garden sprayer with water to rinse it off.
Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-20000-.../dp/B000E28UQU
I gotta second this. That stuff is amazing. And you can clean your drive way at the same time!
OldMiner likes this.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 04:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Oven cleaner and a power wash is my engine cleaner of choice.

Apparently some aren't good on aluminium but it's not on there long enough to dissolve anything.

Makes a fantastic wheel cleaner as well.

Cleans EGR crap out of diesel intakes in the shower when the GF is away for the week as well

But... use it at your own risk

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 19 Sep 2018, 06:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

The reason I asked in the first place is because a pigeon or seagull dive-bombed my right headlight in July in Nova Scotia. I was driving east at highway speed and he was flying west at least as fast and miscalculated. I couldn't have avoided collision if I tried. He committed suicide on and underneath the headlight. At the next town I used a coin power wash to blast him out of my life but there are still remnants of him and I think parts are stuck behind the headlight. Yes I took pics but have thousands and don't know how to upload them. In any case since then there is a worsening whirring noise that only happens when the car is rollingg and I hope it's just bird guts. Will start with simple green, then upgrade to purple and oven cleaner if necessary. Looking for the birds head got me looking and I bet that engine has never seen water unless it's raining. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am pretty sluggish and may not tackle it until next month. Having surprise surgery next week. "If you don't get to the end of the line sick or wounded you did it wrong". My motto. 😂
Old 19 Sep 2018, 11:13 pm
Young Cruiser

I doubt it's the bird, not much whistle left in him

I whacked a possum last fall with my front bumper. I feel your pain. Still need to get one to replace it.

But my worse animal story was last summer when I finally shot the ground hog that kept digging under my house. He disappeared on me after a little chase. I had him nailed until a neighbor kid yelled there he is. I winged him pretty good though. I could not find him anywhere. A few days later my son and I decided to take my mini van to the store.

We made it about 1/4 mile and I was like WTF is that smell. I pulled over and there he was. Taken a DRT nap on the top of the motor. OMG, what a mess. I got pics some where but you probably don't want to see them.
Old 20 Sep 2018, 03:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Oven cleaner and purple power both damage aluminum. Oven cleaner will also damage certain paints. I use it to remove hand lettering from vehicles. On my Dodge it would turn the white yellow temporarily, or permanently if let sit more than a few seconds. There is some dangerous advice in this thread. I have purple power, I use it as a first step degreaser, and it's not really that great. I bought a gallon last year and it just sits there while I use better (either safer or stronger) products for specific areas. It's good for cleaning grease off the floor and that's really use it for anymore, and only because I'm stick with a gallon of it.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 07:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

I use the Purple Power to clean up oil spills on my driveway when I accidentally spill some during an oil change. That's all I use it for. I agree with Rob about some of the other stuff. It IS powerful!!
rob302 likes this.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 05:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Oven cleaner and purple power both damage aluminum. Oven cleaner will also damage certain paints.
I'm not here to shill for Oven Cleaner (of which there are lots of different formulations, some of which would never harm any alloys - ovens have alloys in them too, right? ) or PP which I've never seen - but YES *some* formulations of oven cleaner can react against *some* alloys - if you're goofy enough to spray it on them and leave it - but they will not affect alloys in the time they are in contact during cleaning and then hosing clear (or even a thorough wetting, which neutralises oven cleaner)

Not a single one of the umpteen engines from umpteen manufacturers I've cleaned with oven cleaner has crumbled to dust, nor has it damaged any underbonnet (hood!) paintwork - but maybe I've just been lucky ;-)

It is a cheap and very effective cleaner. And thats why I use it. But nobody else has to.

Bollocks to Brexit