PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > The Detail Shop

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to Prevent Peeling, Oxidizing Paint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2019, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to Prevent Peeling, Oxidizing Paint?

I'm about to buy a new 2002 PT. My old 2002 PT has super faded, peeling paint and the seller on the new PT swore up and down that his paint was perfect. Well, I went out and looked at it today and it's *almost* perfect, but I can see one spot where it's just starting to oxidize. What do I do to arrest this and keep it from going bad like my old PT? Do they make car sunscreen? I know I should keep it in the garage whenever possible, but a lot of time at work, I have to park outdoors.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 07:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: How to Prevent Peeling, Oxidizing Paint?

regular waxing will help keep the paint from fading and failing. If there is a spot already going bad, not much can be done to reverse the damage.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 25 Nov 2019, 09:47 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: How to Prevent Peeling, Oxidizing Paint?

If the oxidation is limited to the clear coat, as it usually is, and hasn't gone deep into the color finish, those small spots of oxidation might be improved by renewing the clear coat finish. It could possibly be a rattle can job if it's no too extensive. Try to blend it best you can. Of course a good buffing afterwards is in order.

SOOO BIG's right rear quarter had a parking lot scrape that was only as deep as the surface clear coat. That refinish was done similarly, involving some light wet sanding and a blended shot of clear coat. Not a rattle can job, but it still had to be buffed out to good as new.

SOOO BIG had three layers of clear coat applied during his complete repainting in 2014.
Even though parked out doors constantly in Florida, some of the most intense sun exposure in the nation, over five years later, SOOO BIGs finish hasn't oxidized at all.
I've never used wax, Just regular wash and rinse.
Good luck.
Happy PTin', ptprice

rear1.jpgfront1.jpg

front2.jpgrightfront1.jpg

rightfront2.jpg

rtrear1.jpgrtrear.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 26 Nov 2019 at 02:16 pm.