Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > The Detail Shop

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Couple of questions about claying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2004, 02:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Couple of questions about claying

I finally "clayed" my car for the first time since I bought it brand new a year ago. I did the plastic bag test before and my hand wouldn't even slide down the hood.

I have to say, claying takes time. It took me about 2 hours but the most of it was spent cleaning the 2 passenger side doors. They were full of little tar dots that did not go away after the first wash. It took a long time to get rid of them but the clay cleaned all of them out (my arms are killing me).

Anyway, my questions are:

1. I spent almost the whole detaling spray bottle that came with the clay. I read that lubrication was key so I sprayed away like crazy. Is it normal to go through almost a whole bottle in one shot or did I overdo it?

2. After claying and washing the car a second time, I did the plastic bag test again. It was smoother than before but not totally smooth. I could still "feel" a little dirt. is this normal and you have to clay more than once or did I not do a good job? (I thought I covered every inch of the car).

Thanks in advance.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 04:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Claying requires some time to get used to. Yes, you need lots of lubrication, but you can use both the QD spray AND the car wash soap. YOu must however remove as much of the surface contaminants as possible before claying. example, you should use a solvent cleaner for the tar prior to using the clay. If not, your clay you get destroyed by the tar. procedure should be, wash, solvent bath, wash again. clay using fresh bucket of soap and QD spray. quick wash again to remove the clay residue (this is where you might of had some problems.) that should get you ready for polish/finishing. hope that helps. Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 13 Sep 2004, 06:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Gary, the tar I removed was in the passenger side doors. But I ran my hand through the hood (which had no tar) after claying and washing and it still felt a bit dirty.

Should the clay have left the paint totally smooth?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 08:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Your finish should feel like glass after you've clayed. You may need to re-wash and re-clay. You may want to consider using some polish and see if that does the trick.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 11:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Keep in mind that the hood, second only to the front bumper, gets hit by themost rocks and flying debris. It might be that you were feeling small paint chips.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 09:33 am
Regular Cruiser

I didn't see any small paint chips. Is it possible to have paint chips that are not visible to the naked eye?

Anyway, the paint should be smooth as glass huh? I guess I'll need to re-clay once more or as many times as it takes. My neighbors are going to give me funny looks again ("why is he rubbing play dough in his car??") []
Old 14 Sep 2004, 12:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

ChromeC is correct about the polish, claying will remove contaminants "ON" the surface, but what you need to do next to get at problems "IN" the surface which clay does nothing for. That's where polish comes in. p.s. If you neighbor asks you why you are rubbing your car down with clay, tell him you are practicing before you use the wipped cream.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 12:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

gary,

what product would you use for a 'solvent bath'? this is new to moi.

[:I]
Old 21 Sep 2004, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Instead of the detailing spray just use car wash as the lube. I clay this way.
Wash one section at a time. Lets start with the roof.
Wash roof like normal, then rinse with water. Now resoap the same section and take the clay and rub it over the paint like you did before. When the paint is smooth rinse the soap off. I feel the soap make the clay glide more easily over the paint so you can feel everything stuck to the paint.
If there is any clay residue just rewash. BUT if you use plenty of soapy water there shouldnt be aby clay smears on the paint.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 11:54 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Rash, what purpose are you looking for a solvent? I use a professional solvent from Car-Brite, comes in 5 ga only. If you need some, I will hook you up if you need it. I use it for tar/oil/grease and other stubborn contaminants. Gary