Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Europe PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
UK MOT issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2012, 08:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default UK MOT issues

I thought it might be worthwhile starting a thread which highlights some common problems owners have when MOT'ing their car. Perhaps it will help others and give them some pointers as to what items on the car to check before the MOT to avoid being ripped off. (Especially since this year our MOT has had additional checks added to it)

Mine would have failed if I hadn't changed the control arm bushes (which is a well documented problem on this forum and a common fault). Plus I think my front struts might fail this year as there are noisy over speed bumps and the like.

Also I was considering putting on a third brake light decal (flame design) but wasn't sure about the rule where it covers 50% or more of the brake light. I was going to wait and ask my tester nearer the time.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 11:34 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: UK MOT issues

Good idea - mines getting some new suspension goodies and a near side passenger ball joint. The front wheel knocks over sleeping policemen but my mechanic still reckons its an mot fail yet. Just annoying.
Old 09 May 2012, 07:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Well thats me MOT'd for another year. Put new control arms on with new bushes and 2 new front tyres this year.

The handbrake and headlights had to be adjusted during the MOT but nothing too expensive thankfully.

Glad I didn't waste money on track rod ends as they were fine.
Old 09 May 2012, 07:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dave,

I spent 3 tours with a total of 13 years in Harrogate with a whole host of vehicles which included 5 American cars (Pontiac Sunbird, Chevy Nova, Chevy Monza, Honda Civic, Chevy Corvette) and a hand full/variety of others (VW Beetle, Morris Minor, Ford Anglia, Fiat something-or-other, Ford Fiesta (MG).

Looking back, I went through a heck of a lot of cars. The American cars did fairly well through all the MOT's with minor upgrades. Most of them were newish and the MOT didn't start till the car was three years old.

The others on my list were all picked up second (or third) hand and all had seen better days. I dreaded the MOT's each year but luckaly I had a good neighbor who owned (still does) his own shop (Old Forge Motors) and he helped me get through the MOT inspections. He didn't test cars himself but knew what the inspectors would look for. Rust was the main source of failures on the older cars. The rust didn't have to be bad, just a slight showing on a brake hose or other part that could easily be sanded or wiped off would still fail the MOT.

Just reminiscing about the good ole days.
Old 09 May 2012, 08:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe a silly question, but what's MOT???
Old 09 May 2012, 08:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Robin,

It stands for the Ministry Of Transportation and the MOT test is a vehicle safety inspection for every car 3 years old and older to check for road worthiness of the vehicle ....and it's not easy to pass, unlike the state inspections over here.
Old 09 May 2012, 04:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Its a pain! Some testers are more strict than others. One garage may pass your car first time while another may list 5 or 6 items that need replacing and it could cost you hundreds. Depends how their monthly accounts look!

My mustang failed this year on handbrake cables. Had to get 2 new ones from ford, wait for them to ship to the uk, fit them and test the brake again. Nearly 2 weeks before i could drive it again!

Drive with no mot and crewzin's colleagues over here will pull you over and give you a bed for the night while they crush your car!
Old 09 May 2012, 10:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good thing I don't live over there, if someone crushed my car, someone would get shot!
Old 10 May 2012, 02:19 am
Cool Cruiser

It's even worse now, they have added more checks and cars can now fail if an interior warning light doesn't work! One guy I know had his car fail because there was no screen wash left in the bottle! He had to pay to get the car retested after filling it up! Another way for garages to make more money and rip people off, seems to be a UK theme these days. £1.40 a litre of petrol, do the maths to dollars/gallons and you will get a shock.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 03:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davea300 View Post
One guy I know had his car fail because there was no screen wash left in the bottle! He had to pay to get the car retested after filling it up!
Mine passed. First time under the new regime. First time I was really panicking to be honest as I was not aware of the extra checks this time. Took nearly an hour. And when they did the screen wash, I really thought, 'please no, not a fail for that surely' luckily there was some left, but I had forgotten to check it recently.

In all fairness to the MOT centres, there is an automatic free test if you fail for upto so many days after. It isn't much in their interest to fail the car as it costs them time, which is money. Although there are dodgy ones out there, and easy to pick up on as when you fail, and you need parts, their buddy next door gets recommended for the work.

I was just pleased mine passed. Until next year.