PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2.2 diesel crd belt issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2012, 01:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2.2 diesel crd belt issues

Hi all,

My 56 reg touring has the Merc 2.2 engine which is great! However it has gone through 3 belts / thrown the last one in 60000 miles. The previous 2 belts were broken so new belts were fitted by local garage (no problem) however this belt has not broken it just came off so I decided to have a look myself.

The inner wheel arch liner had come loose and fouled the belt (rub holes in the liner). Tried putting belt back on and have 2 issues that I hope someone can help me with.

1) I think I know the track of the belt but not sure. (Haynes manual has no info on diesels by the way). Does anyone have a diagram for the track of the belt?

2) I think there is a good chance the tensioner is gone. I have a new tensioner and have the bolt out of the old one however how do you get the old one out of the engine bay and the new one in? There is so little room as the engine almost touches the wheel arch frame its difficult to get a hand in let alone the tensioner out.

If someone has done this and can tell me the procedures that would be great or if you have any ideas it would be helpful. I love the motor but have learned over the last year that it is not main stream so has quirks that one has to overcome. Changed other stuff like suspension strut etc myself by the way so just send over your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 29 May 2012, 03:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2.2 diesel crd belt issues

OK,

Since last time a new brain has been applied to the problem.

We now know the answer to 1) and 2) and we know that the real problem is that there are two bolts holding the tensioner, the top one is fine but the lower pivot one is snapped off. Not much room in there and I don't have the kit to extract snapped bolts.

Does anyone know if extracting the tensioner pivot bolt is do able on the car?

I'm just having fun with this honest!

Dave
Old 29 May 2012, 05:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2.2 diesel crd belt issues

Ok sorted.

Local garage says an hours work (I have already removed most of the stuff to do it anyway).

Sometimes helps to just type it up to sort it in my head.

If anyone does have an engine handbook for 2006 2.2 crd engine I would still appreciate the contact as its the one main part not in the haynes manual.

I will keep looking at this thread to see if anyone has replied.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 29 May 2012, 10:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sorry Dave, we don't have 'em here, the 'e' manual everyone passes around is gas only.

I have an '01 hardcopy and that's 2.4 only ... If we could help- We would- But looks like you're on track.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: 2.2 diesel crd belt issues

Hi Dave
I dont know if you still check into this site but i have same problem as you with 2.2 turbo diesel. I dont think there is a hand book for this model i cant find one anywhere.did you get the drive belt tensioner sorted out as i have the same snapped of bolt on mine.I tried a spring loaded one on mine but it was no good not strong enough bouncing on the belt ,just need to find someone to drill out old bolt for me now and then use high tensile bolt so it wont snap again.Also tried to find a stretch fit belt so no need for a tensioner but alas no luck there.

cheers doogle
Old 12 Sep 2012, 04:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

hi if you can dill into the nut you use what they call an easy out.you can buy then from most motorfacter shops. cheers gray
Old 16 Nov 2012, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Dave

Don't know if it's way too late to help, but I got the manual from here (one of the 'sticky' threads..?!) - although it's ostensibly for the petrol engine, it does actually have a lot of info on the diesel too - it's certainly helped my mechanic locate/diagnose problems over the past couple of years!

Tags
ancillaries, belt, crd, diesel, tensioner