Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Europe PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Starting problems 2.4L

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2012, 01:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Starting problems 2.4L

I have a 2.4L 2005 and a problem has started happening whereby the engine doesn't start. The starter motor doesn't even try as if the engine is immobilised. After a few hours the engine started (when the breakdown guy turned up!) . The following morning same again the engine wouldn't start up. there's not even a sound of anything mechanical trying to work. I have seen a few postings on the US forums of something similar. No solutions posted.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Starting problems 2.4L

Try pushing in on ignition switch - the switch may be going.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Jul 2012, 09:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like the starter going bad. Brushes worn and loosing contact with armature. Tap on it and probably will fire up. but will need to be replaced anyway.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jul 2012, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

@Carewser, how about giving us just a little more detail on your PT? From your comments, I'd assume you are across the pond. 2.4l 2005, what model? What mileage? Have you tried pulling codes? Have you had your battery tested?

The reason I ask about the battery test (not just voltage, but a load test) is the same thing happened on my '06. Found out that I had a bad cell and a second cell going bad. Replaced the battery and has worked fine ever since. Starters don't go out that often, unless you've been in deep water, deep enough to roll over the wire connections on it. And that would mean you'd have to be standing in that water for days to affect it.

I'd say battery, unless you come up with some diagnostic trouble codes.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 12:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Model is 2.4L petrol. Its an '05 vehicle, 42,000 miles and is a UK model RHS drive etc. The battery was tested by the RAC breakdown and they said was A1. All battery connections sound too. I wasn't surprised since I bought the highest spec battery available when the fog lights issue wore out the first. No error codes either when I danced the key. Used the car again today and the start up was fine. No 'sick' noise from the starter nor clicking noises. Just fired up straight away. I have found a chrysler technical service bulletin on this site. For temp fix recommends removal of the OMD? fuse OR disconnect the Negative battery lead with ignition key OUT. If works the 'Technical Bulletin' advises replacement of the WCM and Reprogramme of the FOBS to match. Couldn't find the OMD Fuse or WCM housing (no manual). any ideas? Images?
Old 23 Jul 2012, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've moved this one to the technical forum. Called 'start up problems continued'.

Basically changed out the battery today for New 540A crank output but patient still ails. Car started first thing in the morning last 3 days but then won't start all day after this first fire up. No error codes, Battery cables all good solid & no corrosion. Earth firmly bolted to chassis and no corrosion. I get a full short from the clutch-starter switch which I assume is correct. I get 11Volts from the Ignition at the clutch-starter connector which is located above the pedals under the dash. No volts on the brown lead at the solenoid when doesn't start. If I jump a lead straight from the +ve post by the Fuse box to the solenoid (Brown lead) the engine cranks every time but doesn't start even with a helper on the clutch pedal with ignition on run.

The brown lead is an output from the starter relay. So I switched these relays around as there is 3 same spec in the power control/fuse box in engine compartment. Still no fix. I now suspect the switch circuit in the starter relay is not getting the voltage to put 12v onto the solenoid. its at this point that I am working back to the clutch-starter pedal and the Ignition.And I need a good detailed wiring diagram 'cos its a rats nest under the bonnet for a novice like me.
Old 27 Jul 2012, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This one has been fixed and closed today! Refer to the thread in the technical & performance forum. 'starter problems (continued)'.

thanks all for your input! it was the Actuator in the ignition switch assembly. A sheared piece of alloy and is a common fault apparently.
owned from New & 30 miles
Issues History:
- fog lights drain battery (PENDING-FUSE OUT-SUSPECT MF SWITCH)
- Mis firing causing judder when accelerating (FIXED-NEW COIL)
- suspension front bushes fail MOT (FIXED-NEW BUSHES)
- rear (tailgate) washer wiper leaks inside cabin(PENDING)
- Intermittent No start-No Crank (FIXED-NEW ACTUATOR IN IGNITION SWITCH ASSEMBLY)