Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Europe PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intermitant power.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2012, 05:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Intermitant power.

Hi i have an intermitant problem with my 2004 2.2crd PT.
When i am driving at about 30 to 70 mph. i notice that when i want to increase my speed the car don't respond like it should.At time's i do get the quick response from the engine,sometimes from a standing start it just slowly speed's up,or speed's up quickly.This is an intermitant fault and at the time of the slow speed's there is no warning light's.

Feed back would help me as the wife don't want to trade in the car.
Thank's for reading.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 07:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Intermitant power.

You didn't say if automatic or straigh? If straight a fuel additive may help and couldn't hurt in either case.. If automatic, is the car down shifting?
I'm from the states so if your cars have a fuel filter this could need replacement. Our cars don't have one.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 30 Dec 2012 at 07:51 am.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 10:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi it's a manual gear box,and diesel.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Intermittent problems are hard to diagnose over the Internet without lots of information to go by. As Busted said, could be a fuel starvation problem because of the filter or fuel pump or injector. Runs good when normal driving but not getting the fuel it needs for that extra get-up-and-go.

I placed your question on the EURO part of the forum so hopefully someone with a diesel will have an answer for you. As busted said, they don't make the diesel engine for the U.S. and 99% of the owners on the forum have the gas engine.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks
Old 31 Dec 2012, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is happening at the same revs regardless of what gear you are in? Does the turbo still kick in? just started to happen recently or progressively getting worse? does it happen when cold or up to temperature? How long have you had it? when was it last serviced? when was its last fuel filter done? much black smoke from it when you nail it?

Soon as i got mine (about 3 months ago) i stuck some forte diesel system cleaner in, then took it for a long run. I've always used forte every 6 months on any diesel i own, especially if its the wifes and mainly used for short journeys as they tend to clog up a bit.

If you don't drive it much the gearing isn't great for keeping the turbo spinning and off boost the engine is quite low on torque, which can feel like a flat spot.

Last edited by damien4884; 02 Jan 2013 at 04:40 am.