Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Europe PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch pedal switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2013, 02:43 am
Young Cruiser

Default Clutch pedal switch

As you all know, in order to start the engine, the driver has to keep the clutch pressed. (The model is 2005, 1,6 liter, manual transmision).
Recently I faced the following problem. There are times that I must have to keep the clutch presse ALL THE WAY down. Even though, sometimes the starter motor, doesn't make contact and only if I press the clutch repeatedly 3 - 4 times, then turning the key, the starter begins to spin and everything goes ok.

As I understand it, there must be a switch somewhere near the clutch pedal, that controls the circuit to the starter.

Do you know where exactly shoud I look for?
Can you tell me where in the web shall I order a replacemet part? I do not want to pay some 60 euros just for the switch in Greece.

Thank you for your answer on this.
Old 06 Feb 2013, 06:06 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch pedal switch

Are you sure it's the switch at the clutch pedal. It might be a poor/dirty connection at the starter motor?

But, taken from my Hayes manual:

'unplug the the electrical connector to the switch (located near the top of the clutch pedal) and check continuity between he connector terminals with the clutch pedal depressed.

If there's continuity between the terminals with the pedal depressed, the switch is okay, if there's no continuity between the terminals with the pedal depressed, replace the switch. If there's continuity between the terminals when the pedal is released, replace the switch.'

You'll need a multimeter to test for continuity (cheap on e-bay) and they are easy to use, despite what they look like!

Did you get your other 'emergency start' problem fixed?

Last edited by swanjack; 06 Feb 2013 at 06:16 am.
Old 02 Mar 2013, 06:55 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks Swanjack for all the info.

Today, my wife called me on the mobile, just to tell me that she could start the engine, because of this switch.
To cut the long story short, she is unable to push the clutch with the same strength as I do, so every time I push the clutch, the engine starts and every time she tries, the result is null.
I believe on Monday, I will have it checked. I do have all the necessary equipment handy.

As far as the emergency start, no, I didn't check it. BUT I HAVE TO.
You know how it works at these situations. When everything works fine, we don't bother looking. And some day, destruction strikes and we hit our heads to the wall for not being precocious.

Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited by Batfalcon; 02 Mar 2013 at 07:01 am.
Old 05 Mar 2013, 02:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Update.

The removal and replacement of this switch, require an ultra flexible type of body, which I haven't.
So I decided to wrap a tie wrap around the metal of the clutch, in order to push the switch a little earlier, or in other words to make the switch connect, with less route of the pedal.
The test was successful, but the tie wrap slipped from it's place, coming back to where I started.
So I suppose that the switch is to be replaced, or adjusted.

The service man asks 65 euros for the part , plus the labor, so I am asking you guys, if you know where I can buy at least the part.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05 Mar 2013, 03:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

rock auto has 2 different versions. it's a "neutral safety switch". they have multiple images to look at. see if it is the same as yours. price is $21 + shipping

RockAuto Parts Catalog
Old 05 Mar 2013, 05:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for all the help.

From what I see at those 2 items you linked, none of them.

I will try to shot a photo tomorrow and I will post it her, so maybe it will make things easier.

Thanks again.
Old 06 Mar 2013, 05:54 am
Young Cruiser

It's impossible to shot a photo underneath this cover, so I ask you, if anyone knows how to remove this plastic cover under the steering column.

Old 06 Mar 2013, 08:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Last edited by rob342; 06 Mar 2013 at 10:00 am.
Old 06 Mar 2013, 08:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfalcon View Post
It's impossible to shot a photo underneath this cover, so I ask you, if anyone knows how to remove this plastic cover under the steering column.

Stick your finger in the hole and pull the light color piece towards you. I hide stuff there when I park in Chicago.

Try this switch PT Cruiser Maintenance for electrical parts, sensors, switches, spares and replacement fuel pumps
Old 06 Mar 2013, 09:41 am
Young Cruiser

Thank you.

Newer updates.

The problem WAS NOT the pedal switch. It was due to this part, which is inside the steering lock.

This part is placed at the same axle as the key, but deeper inside. The narrow end fits in a slot in a plastic round shaped part, where all the cables end.
It turns the above mentioned slot and makes the necessary contact.

As you see the metal narrow end is broken. It sure did not brake on our hands. We should had felt the cracking if it did. Maybe it was like this from the beginning, when we first bought the car, who knows?

All ended well, the mechanic had a spare lock from a crashed PT and made the change.

As far as the switch, false alarm.

A VERY SPECIAL"Thank You", to all the members who helped me.

Michael.

P.S. Watch this video at 3:06 and you will see this part

Last edited by Batfalcon; 06 Mar 2013 at 09:45 am.