Advertisements
Interior Lights and locks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2013, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Interior Lights and locks

Hi.
I'm new to the forum.
I've just bought my first PT Cruiser, a 2001 Touring.

I've just noticed that the interior lights don't come on when I open the doors. The dome light comes on when I press it, but other than that nothing. The boot light doesn't work at all. The bulbs are all fine. Can anyone help with this issue?

Also, the key doesn't fit the boot lock, it goes about half way in, but feels like it gunked up. is this anything anyone's come across?

And one last thing. It only came with one key and no remote. Can I get these without going to Chrysler as I was quoted 85 +vat for the key, 35 for the fob and 35 to program them.

Thanks,

Parker
Old 02 Mar 2013, 07:07 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Interior Lights and locks

Parker, it seams to me that only a professional electrician can fix your problem with the interior lights. Keep in mind that they do not just turn off when you close the door. They dim off. So maybe the circuit that controls them is faulty.

The door lock obviously has been abused. I can't explain the fact that the key does not go all the way in.

Finlay the remote. Just an idea. Try to contact Chrysler USA or maybe on the ebay.
Old 04 Apr 2013, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Parker

I can only suggest seeing an electrician about the lights, it sounds to me like there could be a break in the circuit somewhere from the door to the actual dome light itself. If they switch on, that shows there is no problem there, it will most probably be the wiring around the door. I am no expert, it is just a suggestion of what the problem could be.

As for the key remote. You can purchase them on Ebay as Batfalcon suggested, it is possible to re-programme the key fob to your Remote Keyless Entry Module (RKEM). I am in the process of figuring that out as I have recently replaced mine and the replacement only came with 1 key fob remote.

2 button Chrysler PT Cruiser Neon remote control central locking key fob | eBay

If you copy and paste the above link, it will take you direct to a a fob for sale on Ebay, it only has a day remaining though so act quickly, bidding starts at 99p

Once I have done that, I will quite happily let you know how to do it if you manage to get some key fobs.
Old 09 Apr 2013, 07:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Parker

Cabin lights
Before you go trolling off to see a sparks ! have you first tried the obvious? The interior cabin lights have an overall control on the multi switch (indicator and light stalk) on the L/H side of the steering column. It is looped with the instrument light fader.

I have met a lot of new owners in the UK that are not aware of this feature and overlook it.

Failing that; a sparky is your best bet unless you know what you are doing yourself - and beware of your standard 'auto electrician' lots of them have little or no experience of these cars and you can run into a big bill for a xmas cracker fix that costs nowt.

Boot light
I don't think the 2001 models have a manual switch for the boot light but it could be linked with the cabin lights --- if they are turned off the boot light may not work.

Tailgate lock
This is a problem I have come across plenty. Normally if the key will only go part way in it is because of lack of use and it gets 'gunked up' try spraying some Lockeas or WD40 and letting it soak for a while then slide the key in and out a few times to free up the tumblers in the lock. Whatever you do DON'T force it as a broken key is the last thing you need.

If that fails then a Company called ACD in Lancs (contact on UKC website) will sell you a replacement with a key for a fraction of the cost. ACD are one of the clubs preferred suppliers & for many a good reason

Key fob
If you have a car that was built for the UK then it will need a 2 button key fob to work the central locking and alarms. Beware! there are a few cars here in the UK that are/where imports: To find out for sure have a look at your VIN number it is visable through a view window on the top of the dash left hand side of the windscreen. If it was buit specifically for the UK then the eleventh digit will be a U. and you need a 2 button fob. If it was built in th USA (Mexico) then you should be able to use a 3 button fob and those you can program yourself. Either of these can be got easy on eBay UK for a few but if it is a 2 button you will need to have it programed as there is no DIY programming method. I am working on this problem as a personal project (can't understand why nobody has sorted this one yet? at least not to my knowledge) but it is 'in the wings' as they say

Can't understand why you where quoted so much for a key I would suggest you try again somewhere else.

Are you a member of UKC? if not get in touch with them as the club is full of loads of folk who not only know what they are about but understand these cars as well. You are 2 far away from me otherwise I'd come and take a look but there are other members of the club near you that will help.

Hope this is of some help if you need more then get back to me and I will see what I can do
Old 10 Apr 2013, 05:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As to interior lights, there's a door switch that is likely at fault - I don't think it's the old "pop-out button" kind, but a sensor one.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Apr 2013, 09:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
As to interior lights, there's a door switch that is likely at fault - I don't think it's the old "pop-out button" kind, but a sensor one.
It could be a door switch but it would need to be all of the switches faulty for the interior lights not to work at all.

There is a switch for each door: the two front doors are inside the lock mech and the 2 rear doors have N/O (normally open) plunger switches fitted.

If it is not the master switch on the multi function then it could be any number of things. These interior lights are controlled on a switched earth circuit that is, essentially, controlled by a circuit that controls fades, times, etc. It receives it's instructions from a number of places the signal from the door switches are among them.

Because they are earth switched any ground anywhere in the system will cause them to illuminate. So, One faulty door switch would be unlikely to be the root cause of the problem.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 03:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Fuse #13 controls several interior lighting circuits; dome light, cargo lamp (rear), visor mirror lights, but also the power mirrors and key immobilizer.
The under-hood PDC fuse #18, 20a, controls the above fuse plus the radio.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 04:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Fuse #13 controls several interior lighting circuits; dome light, cargo lamp (rear), visor mirror lights, but also the power mirrors and key immobilizer.
The under-hood PDC fuse #18, 20a, controls the above fuse plus the radio.
OP has already stated that the dome light is working on manual (ie when he presses it) and has not reported that other interior circuits have faults which I would expect if fuse 13 or 18 are out. If the dome light works on manual then the fuses controlling those circuits must be intact.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 01:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Where is Parker? The OP hasn't returned to update us.

I am unclear (not being British) about the dome light.
In the US, the headliner dome lamp turns on/off by the door circuits or the MFS dimmer circuit. There isn't anything on the unit to press.
Across the pond, the dome lamp may also include an intrusion sensor for the alarm system. PDC fuse #18 is the power to the siren.

NOW (my confusion), does the OP refer to the overhead console light?
This has two separate fused feeds. Pushing the left or right side light lens turns on the light independently of the fuse 13 circuit.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 05:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Where is Parker? The OP hasn't returned to update us.
Indeed I think he may have lost interest or maybe joined the English club?
I have joined here to obtain information about these cars that is not well known or I can't find this side of the pond and to help any fellow Englishmen that find this and do not realise that there is a huge group here in the UK for these cars

Quote:
I am unclear (not being British) about the dome light.
In the US, the headliner dome lamp turns on/off by the door circuits or the MFS dimmer circuit. There isn't anything on the unit to press.
Across the pond, the dome lamp may also include an intrusion sensor for the alarm system. PDC fuse #18 is the power to the siren.
I have seen dome lights that have a manual on them in this country but I have also seen them that don't. Same with the intrusion sensor

Quote:
NOW (my confusion), does the OP refer to the overhead console light?
This has two separate fused feeds. Pushing the left or right side light lens turns on the light independently of the fuse 13 circuit.
Again without the OP there is little more advice that can be given. My opening post pointed the OP at the multi switch simply because I have found that (next to a blown fuse) ignorance of this control is the next most popular problem with interior lamps not working and it is oft overlooked.

You would be surprised at how often I have asked "do you have it turned on" and received the answer "but where's the switch?" lol.
Same with the panel light fader; I get loads saying " my instrument lights are not working" or "they are very dim. Can you tell me how to get at the bulbs?" when often it is just that new owners have overlooked the control switch for them.

Often the most obvious cause of a problem is the simplest answer!

You appear to be knowledgeable on the electrical circuits on these cars?
Have you seen my other post requesting information?

Tags
boot lock, interior lights, key fob, trunk lock