PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Non PT owner researching

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2013, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Non PT owner researching

evening all

If this thread is is the wrong place please move.

After owning a cute little Smart 42 car for the last 2 years (have so much fun with it) I am looking at something bigger for my growing family of whippets and I to drive around in.
I have found some reasonably priced PT 2.2 touring diesel cars near me and I have fallen in love with them. I havent driven one yet but have a test drive on Tuesday.
Now.. my problem is that I dont have much to spend and I am looking at a 54 plate with 87K on the clock. I am not asking for someone to look into a crystal ball and tell me all the problems I may occur, I just want an overview of what I might expect.

I live on the edge of Dartmoor and there are a few bumpy roads around here and I have already heard that I may need to change the suspension bushes more than normal. Would that be a big issue?

Im also used to garages not knowing anything about my car (even had one trying to tell me I didnt have a turbo in my Smart car - I quickly snatched my keys back and drove away fast!) Are they an issue with garages?

Any other info you would like to enlighten me with will be greatly appreciated!

Squimbot
Old 30 Mar 2013, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Non PT owner researching

Ahhh... been a bit of a plank..... Just realised this is an American site and some of the stuff I wrote is probably meaningless to you guys - sorry!
Old 30 Mar 2013, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'll be moving you over to the European part of the forum so you'll receive a better answer to your questions.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks
Old 30 Mar 2013, 08:17 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm jealous, I wish we had the diesels in the US. I'd love to have one as I really want to experiment with biodiesel.
Old 31 Mar 2013, 04:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappyness View Post
evening all

If this thread is is the wrong place please move.

After owning a cute little Smart 42 car for the last 2 years (have so much fun with it) I am looking at something bigger for my growing family of whippets and I to drive around in.
I have found some reasonably priced PT 2.2 touring diesel cars near me and I have fallen in love with them. I havent driven one yet but have a test drive on Tuesday.
Now.. my problem is that I dont have much to spend and I am looking at a 54 plate with 87K on the clock. I am not asking for someone to look into a crystal ball and tell me all the problems I may occur, I just want an overview of what I might expect.

I live on the edge of Dartmoor and there are a few bumpy roads around here and I have already heard that I may need to change the suspension bushes more than normal. Would that be a big issue?

Im also used to garages not knowing anything about my car (even had one trying to tell me I didnt have a turbo in my Smart car - I quickly snatched my keys back and drove away fast!) Are they an issue with garages?

Any other info you would like to enlighten me with will be greatly appreciated!

Squimbot
MPG isn't that great - getting low 30's. Tempted to PX mine for a 2.4 petrol as petrol is so much cheaper at the moment.

Mine's a 54 plate with 118k on the clock - electrics are a bit dodgy (reversing light doesn't work, air bag warning keeps coming on (connector under the drivers seat), NSF speaker has blown, earth strap on bonnet and NSF suspension strut have all come off, OSF bulbs keep blowing)

Had it for two years and done about 20k - it's quite heavy on tyres, just changed disks and pads on the front (which is an easy DIY job), changed thermostat (which was a bar steward of a job), pipe going to the intercooler (which results in no skin on your knuckles), NSF wheel bearing and hub, wishbone bushes - think that's all

A very friendly, knowledgeable guy runs pt company co uk - very reasonably priced for dealer-only parts and quick service as well

Mine has no corrosion underneath and just a few stone chips on the bonnet.

Would I buy another one? Probably.

Get used to other owners waving at you

HTH
Old 01 Apr 2013, 05:46 am
Young Cruiser

I have a 2.0 petrol (and the mpg is shocking) so can't really comment on the diesel. However, I've had mine for almost eight years (70k miles) and in that time have had two kids. The car is solid and safe, plenty of room for bikes, scooters, dogs, camping trips etc. and the usual bits that you need with a family. If your handy with spanners, you can do almost everything yourself (brakes, suspension, routine services etc.). Apart from the various engines there is no difference between the models (newer generation differences aside). The only PITA is the leaking wheels.

As for the bushes, change them to Poly ones, 'Energy' suspension (i think) do an upgrade for all of them, but once you've done the lower front arm bushes, they will not need doing again (I replaced all the bushes myself about four years ago, it's not hard honest!).

Nine had serious sub frame corrosion last year to the rear driver side. The parts were about 275 all in and again I did the job myself.

They are cheap to buy and you get a lot of car for your money. If I was to get another, it would probably be a diesel. HTH

Last edited by swanjack; 01 Apr 2013 at 05:54 am.
Old 01 Apr 2013, 04:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjack View Post
I have a 2.0 petrol (and the mpg is shocking) so can't really comment on the diesel. However, I've had mine for almost eight years (70k miles) and in that time have had two kids. The car is solid and safe, plenty of room for bikes, scooters, dogs, camping trips etc. and the usual bits that you need with a family. If your handy with spanners, you can do almost everything yourself (brakes, suspension, routine services etc.). Apart from the various engines there is no difference between the models (newer generation differences aside). The only PITA is the leaking wheels.

As for the bushes, change them to Poly ones, 'Energy' suspension (i think) do an upgrade for all of them, but once you've done the lower front arm bushes, they will not need doing again (I replaced all the bushes myself about four years ago, it's not hard honest!).

Nine had serious sub frame corrosion last year to the rear driver side. The parts were about 275 all in and again I did the job myself.

They are cheap to buy and you get a lot of car for your money. If I was to get another, it would probably be a diesel. HTH
By your user name I'd say you don't live far from me (Bont)

Out of interest, what MPG are you getting? Anyone with a 2.4 wish to throw in theirs?
Old 02 Apr 2013, 04:02 am
Young Cruiser

By Bont you mean Pontardulais yes?
Old 02 Apr 2013, 07:02 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjack View Post
By Bont you mean Pontardulais yes?
Aye - with a double D :P