Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Europe PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Over Heating issues on a 2000 Limited Edition Automatic transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2013, 03:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Over Heating issues on a 2000 Limited Edition Automatic transmission

My 2000 Pt Cruiser had a full service on Wednesday 27th March. I hadn't needed my car until the weekend so I hadn't drove it anywhere other than home from the garage where it was serviced.
I was driving it on Saturday 30th March and it over heated and also the oil warning light came on went off, came on and went off. I had drove about 15 miles before any of this had happened. I pulled the car over on the side of the road, the engine cut out and once again, the oil warning light came on. The oil level was fine but the engine was dry, no water or coolant. I looked underneath the car and there was a definite leak from somewhere. (I couldn't tell where from as it was night)
I had to get the car towed back home so in the morning, I had a good look to see what I could find. Upon inspecting the engine, I noticed the Heater hose Variable Valve was broken and the heating pipe was not connected to anything. Today (4th April) I replaced the HHVV and reconnected everything. I filled the radiator with water and coolant and also the coolant reservoir. I replaced the radiator cap and ran the engine to reach operating temperature. I noticed water running from under the car, when I looked in the engine, the water was coming from the over flow pipe in the coolant reservoir. Other than that, everything seemed fine. I drove the car around the block and then parked in a different spot to keep check of any leak.
After an hour, I went back to the car, there was no leak underneath at all and I checked the coolant levels once more and it required a slight top up. I topped up and after 2 hours, I took the car out for a drive. The trip was about 4 miles. The engine started to overheat, I could hear the water boiling, I switched the fans on to blow hot air into the car but the temperature didn't seem to go down, even driving at 40mph didn't cool the engine down either. The needle didn't quite reach the RED zone but when I pulled my car over to stop, steam came out from under the hood and there was a trail of water behind the car. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

I have never had any issues with my car until now, I just think the garage that serviced my car have done something. Any suggestions of what the problem could be would be very much appreciated!
Old 05 Apr 2013, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Over Heating issues on a 2000 Limited Edition Automatic transmission

Did you bleed the system after filling with coolant and water?

How to Bleed the Coolant System on a PT Cruiser | eHow.com

Has the thermostat been replaced? A combination of time and extreme heat from overheating can cause the spring to fail. The thermostat is cheap and easy to replace.

Does the cooling fan come on when you turn on the AC?

If the above options check out OK, you should check the coolant temperature sensor or the radiator itself.

How to Replace a Radiator on a PT Cruiser | eHow.com
Old 06 Apr 2013, 03:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Over Heating issues on a 2000 Limited Edition Automatic transmission

jjackson23,

thank-you so much for taking the time to read and post a reply to my problem.
I did bleed the system....I forgot to write that.
The thermostat hasn't been replaced so I will change that, the cooling fan does come on when I turn the A/C on too.
I was thinking it could be something to do with the radiator or the coolant temperature sensor.
I did notice something very odd today though, I literally drove the car from the main road infront of the house to the yard in the back, the drive was no more than 1 minute. I parked up and lifted the hood to check the oil and coolant level because the car had been parked for a few days, but there was a little steam coming out of the transmission fluid dip stick tube!
Very very strange, especially after a short drive and it has baffled me even more.
I checked the level there and it was fine, it didn't smell like it had burned and was still red in colour but with a hint of brown.
I'm thinking when the car was serviced, they just topped up the fluid and didn't change the transmission filter, have you ever come across anything like this before yourself or known of anyone with a similar experience?
(The steam from the transmission Dip Stick tube)

Thanks again for you help and especially the links
Old 06 Apr 2013, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Assuming the fan is working properly when the car is overheating, I think you should have the radiator checked or just replace it.

Your description sounds very much like a clogged radiator.

I have a 2004 and had to replace the radiator three years ago to resolve similar issues.
Old 07 Apr 2013, 10:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am taking it into a garage tomorrow to have them look at it for me. They are a recommended place by a good friend of mine so I have a feeling they will be honest with me.
I am thinking about replacing the thermostat housing, thermostat, radiator cap, oil pressure switch, engine coolant temperature sensor, I figured with the age of my car, it can't do any harm to get new parts for it. I am confident enough to replace them myself so I won't have to worry about any labour costs. If it turns out the radiator needs replacing, I can order all of the parts together from the PTcompany so I know they are all genuine mopar parts.
I think also for piece of mind, I am going to replace the transmission filter too. I put it into drive and hit the gas but nothing, the car didn't move. I waited a moment and gently pressed the gas again, the car kind of shunted I guess is the word and then started to move. My fear is the transmission is on its way out but after doing some research, it could also be a clogged transmission filter.
Fingers crossed it is nothing more!