Advertisements
2002 pt cruiser boiling issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2013, 12:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Garya1682
Default 2002 pt cruiser boiling issue

hey guys,

I need a little advice on my 2002 pt cruiser 2.0.

I purchased this vehicle about 4 months ago and sure enough a week into driving it around it showed signs of a blown headgasket i.e throwing water out the pipes and overheating so when I actually got it to the shop and looked under the hood properly it was a mess.

heres the list of problems that have been fixed so far

blown head gasket and warped head - replaced
leaking water pump - replaced
cambelt casing cracked and shattered - replaced
cambelt - replaced
ENGINE MOUNTS - BOTH REPLACED
power steering pump - replaced
spark plugs - replaced
coil pack - replaced

so after this was replaced I have been driving it around for approximately 2 weeks and the overheating issue has popped up again, only if I stop then the temperature rockets and I get the pull over warning with steam coming out the engine, so I checked my fan to realise it wasn't coming on at all. not at idle speed or in movement so my immediate thought was check all fuses and check the highspeed relay and low speed relay, these have both been replaced and it is still doing it... I also rigged the fan up to a separate power supply just to eliminate a fan issue and the fan came on and works perfectly fine.... so I don't know what else it can be? the fan switch its self? if so where would this be located as I cant seem to find it anyway

if anyone can help me with this issue ill be extremely gratefull. this has cost me a lot of money so far and I really want to fix this car fully.

heres some pictures of my pain in the backside baby
http://i42.tinypic.com/vijix3.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/34j2a15.jpg

Last edited by Garya1682; 29 Apr 2013 at 12:19 pm.
Old 30 Apr 2013, 08:51 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 pt cruiser boiling issue

The fan has a high and low speed on two circuits, did you check on hard wiring that both circuits were working.

There was someone a while back who had a similar problem, the post was in the tech and performance section, cant remember what the outcome was.

The fan only comes on when your doing less than 30 mph, why not just hard wire an override switch an turn it on when your tootling about town?

The fan is also tied in with the A/C, can't remember exactly how, but it has been posted about as well in the tech section.
Old 30 Apr 2013, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with Swanjack. The two speed fan is most likely your problem. One or both speeds are probably burnt out (common problem). For a fast test, let everything cool down (overnight) and in the morning, turn the engine on and turn on the A/C (you do have A/C, right?) and the fan should come on automatically either low or high speed (depending on who you talk to). If it's not on, the low speed has burned out.

You also what to check the relays and fuses that operate the fan (check you owners manual) to see that they are all working.

Now, after I said all that, the instructions I gave are for the 2.4 ltr gasoline engine. Hopefully your 2.0 ltr is about the same.
Old 30 Apr 2013, 10:39 am
Young Cruiser

Could also be a problem in the block connector that connects the fan to the loom.
Old 01 May 2013, 05:26 am
Young Cruiser

thanks for your replys guys, I appreciate it a lot. I will look into your suggestions.

also ive done some more digging around and my friend whos an electrician for Chrysler had a look today and told me that the powertrain control module wasn't doing its job by telling the fan when to come on. ive done some digging around and this appears to be connected in or to the ecu system? and he also said something about reprogramming the ecu may fix the issue but I don't really think that wil solve this issue :/

he also said hes 95% sure this is why the original sellers that I brought it from sold it so cheap because they couldn't find or possibly afford to get this problem fixed but continued to drive the car around which may have been the cause for the headgasket to blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjack View Post
Could also be a problem in the block connector that connects the fan to the loom.
that was what we checked today and that is apparently working fine
Old 04 May 2013, 10:34 am
Young Cruiser

so after testing literally everything........ it appears it was a wire running from the front wiring loom to the relays and then to the fan its self, replaced the wire and now the fan is working correctly.

also noticed my electric drivers seat had been disconnected from the loom due to broken wire so I fixed that too and now my electric seat works and removed a pointless phone charger cable that was hardwired directly to my battery draining my power. so as of now shes 100% fixed

2002 cruiser
2.0L PETROL AUTO
80k miles
Old 04 May 2013, 10:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Gary,

Glad you found the problem and everything is fixed. That's not something easily diagnosed by someone here on the Internet. Good job hunting it down.

In case anyone else didn't click on your signature photo, nice pic of your car. You town looks a little familiar but then most UK towns look somewhat alike. I spent 12 years in Harrogate, Yorkshire.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 May 2013 at 10:42 am.
Old 05 May 2013, 11:12 am
Young Cruiser

thanks where I live is aprox an hour from Yorkshire so its not far

and now the car is driving perfectly even been to the shop today to get a complete chrome grill and some new alloy wheels, although they don't look it in the pics 2 of the wheels are badly scratched . now that one is fixed im on the hunt for one for my partner now!

2002 cruiser
2.0L PETROL AUTO
80k miles