overheating issues - again :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2013, 10:17 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Garya1682
Default overheating issues - again :(

hey guys

seems as though the overheating issue of my 2002 auto pt cruiser is hounding me

this is a complicated problem which Ive run out of ideas on what the hell is wrong :/

basically the fan its self comes on and high speeds perfectly fine but then if I idle in traffic for 5 minutes or sometimes less the low speed fan will not come on at all thus causing the temperature to rise. now both high speed and low speed relays have been replaced which didn't cause the issue so ive given up and taken the car to the garage but they checked it and told me it could be 2 things

1) the ecu is not telling the low speed relay to come on when it should - meaning the ecu needs replacing

2). the fan is faulty and is not reading the signals from the ecu to the relay and then to the fan

if it was a fan issue surely it wouldn't work at highspeed either? im real need of advice here as ive already rebuilt the engine of this car and spent over 900 in parts getting it fixed and im still having issues I don't want to sell this car but I wont have a choice soon as I need transportation :/

thanks if anyone can help

2002 cruiser
2.0L PETROL AUTO
80k miles
Old 08 Jun 2013, 10:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: overheating issues - again :(

Sounds like the fan. The low speed and high speed run on different brushes in the motor and it is not uncommon for one set to wear out. In fact, it is quite common. I would start with replacing the fan.
Old 08 Jun 2013, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the fan at the plug to see if you have low and high . One speed can go out . If fan is good read the temp from the obll port with a good scan tool that shows the temp reading. If it is reading to low it will not turn the fan on . Make sure you have a new heat sender in it so you know it's good. I had to replace the pcm for this but I had codes for rich fuel and not operating at thermostate rating. My gauge also reading to low. Wire the fan over first to be sure you have both speeds.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Jun 2013, 01:39 pm
Young Cruiser

thanks for the posts guys. this problem has been annoying me for months. ill take your advice and order a new fan and see if that does any good

@busted_pt

ill try that out and see if that helps too, thanks for the advice

any one know if a faulty ecu could cause this? ive been envolved with cars for almost 5 years now and ive never had a pt cruiser in with an ecu causing an overheating problem :s

2002 cruiser
2.0L PETROL AUTO
80k miles
Old 09 Jun 2013, 11:11 am
Young Cruiser

Don't order a new fan, you can replace the brushes for a fraction of the cost.
Old 09 Jun 2013, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjack View Post
Don't order a new fan, you can replace the brushes for a fraction of the cost.
You can get a fan here for $50. u.s. Brushes harder to find. here.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Jun 2013, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garya1682 View Post
thanks for the posts guys. this problem has been annoying me for months. ill take your advice and order a new fan and see if that does any good

@busted_pt

ill try that out and see if that helps too, thanks for the advice

any one know if a faulty ecu could cause this? ive been envolved with cars for almost 5 years now and ive never had a pt cruiser in with an ecu causing an overheating problem :s
Re read my post again on the pcm.
TEMP GAUGE READING TO LOW

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Jun 2013, 01:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You can get a fan here for $50. u.s. Brushes harder to find. here.
A full assembly over here is about $300 new, a new motor is $130, brushes are $60. The guy I got my brushes from just wanted the stumps of an old one, and he made up four new ones from its dimensions. The only thing that wears out before the car does is the brushes
Old 29 Jul 2013, 04:09 am
Young Cruiser

well its been a while since I made this post and it has taken almost as long to find the issue but it turns out all the over heating issues were caused by would you believe it, the wiring loom running through the front of the car 3 cables had worn away and split (so mad I didn't check them first -.-) so I wired in 3 replacement cables for the broken ones and replaced the others aswell for the sake of it and I also replaced my fan motor and now my fan kicks in when required on low speed so I am once again a happy cruiser.

one last issue to fix with my pt is my ignition the tumblers inside it have worn away so I can start the car and pull the key out with the ignition still running which had me scratching my head for a brief period but ive got the part on order now so shouldn't take that long to fix

on another note ive ordered some new wheels and tyres for my baby they arrive on Tuesday and ill upload a picture If anyone would like to see the finished product

all that has been replaced so far:

New engine mounts front
Head gasket repaired + new head
Cambelt replacement
Water pump replacement
Fan motor replacement
Coil pack replacement
Power steering pump replacement
Radiator replacement
wiring loom at the front replaced
High and low speed modules replaced
Temperature switch replaced
ecu reprogrammed
New wheels and tyres to be replaced

taken a while but ive finally reached the finished line with a revived pt!

2002 cruiser
2.0L PETROL AUTO
80k miles
Old 29 Jul 2013, 06:00 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garya1682 View Post

one last issue to fix with my pt is my ignition the tumblers inside it have worn away so I can start the car and pull the key out with the ignition still running which had me scratching my head for a brief period but ive got the part on order now so shouldn't take that long to fix

My ignition lock was the same and I lived with it for years, until MOT time this year. The new MOT rules need a working steering lock and the busted ignition lock stops the steering lock from working. I got a barrel from a scrappy for $10, took my old barrel apart noting down the tumbler teeth 'code', took the new barrel apart and recoded it to the old one. Ignition and steering lock both work now.

What I have had this year though is a defective hand/parking brake. Part of the mechanism sits in the rear inner brake shield guard and the area where it sits had rusted away. Two new guards from a scrappy for 10, cleaned and hammerited and job done. The ones from the scrappy had already been welded to overcome the weak spot in the design. On line I found a US supplier that was charging $140 each for new brake shields. I'd check yours out and see if they need some repair before they are too far gone.