PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT Cruiser Limited Edition with start-up problems

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2014, 11:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Cruiser Limited Edition with start-up problems

I picked up my 2003 PT Cruiser Limited Edition around mid January this year. The mileage is 97k.... It had been poorly looked after and had a few niggling faults. I took it to the local garage with requests to "make it safe" with a pre - M.O.T look over.

The MIL was on from the start.

There was a knock every time i went over uneven road, although it didn't materialise when driving over speed bumps.

The power outlets and interior lights didn't work.

The wing mirrors buzzed and did nothing.

The tyres were bald and the exhaust was shot, even though it didn't bellow.

i know, i know, quite a few faults but boy it looks good

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

The garage replaced the back box, did me a deal on the tyres and ran a diagnostic on the MIL which they said turned out to identify the lamba sensor as the fault. So they replaced that and when i got the car back, the light was out so i was happy. I think it was a bolt that had snapped (?) on the tie-rod ends or something, which caused the knocking when i drove over potholes etc... so they fitted a new bolt .. I sourced a pair of mirrors from ebay, which i fitted myself and they're ok.

A couple of days later, my insurance to drive had kicked in, so i took it for a spin. The MIL was back on . the knocking came back and one of the new tyres had gone flat !!

Back i went to the garage. A second diagnostic showed the lamba was at fault again, so they said, although i reckon all they had done was cancel the code (?) ..anyhoo, they did nothing and the light remains on to-date.

The tyre was resealed and inflated, the reason given was that the car had been stood a while and tyres go down ..lol .. my peugeot hasnt been moved in weeks and the tyres are ok. Anyway, I went with it.

The knocking proved to be the same bolt had snapped again (weird) so again they replaced it, this time i looked under the car and yeah, they had.

_ _ _ _ _ _

Nothing had been said over the power outlets, the fault i discovered myself days later. A fuse had popped. My cruiser developed niggling start-up problems in that the belt began squealing and sometimes the sentry key wouldn't fire up the car.

Back i went to the garage, armed with a belt for them to fit.... and oh yeah the squuealing stopped but the very next day the battery was flat. i thought alllsorts, was the belt slack, had a wire been unplugged off the alternatEr? I HAD ALREADY SPENT THE VALUE OF THE CAR IN REPAIR COSTS.. !

The garage said the battery wasnt holding charge, funny tho that it was ok up to that point. So i bought a new battery and .... ta-daaah ...My cruiser wont start !!!

The lights are on, the bells ring but no click or attempt to fire.

Inserting the key i get five chimes, then one. the MIL then flashes ten times and stays on. According to my OBDII scanner, there are no error codes to report ??

Can anyone help please? Basic things like fuses i've checked. i haven't swapped over any relays (as has been mentioned on other threads for folk with similar problems, so i could give that a go) I,ve changed the battery in my fob but after that I'm at a loss. Can someone offer me some very basic hints please for simple things i can attempt myself. Has the key lost its contact with the car? i dunno.

Any advice or thread links will be greatly appreciated. I'm not getting rid... I just love the curves. The Cruisers have a kinda nostalgic character, methinks.

Thank you

Last edited by JoKir; 23 Mar 2014 at 01:51 pm.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Cruiser Limited Edition with start-up problems

The MIL flashing or chimes from the dash like your saying must be a European thing because it doesn't mean anything on this side of the pond. We go by the engine light staying lit or the scanner showing what codes are stored but you say your scanner doesn't show anything. Another thing you said is that the sentry key won't fire up the car. Chrysler didn't have a key that would start the car so you must have an aftermarket remote starter that the first owner put in. They have been known to have problems and hard to diagnose over the internet.

Hopefully someone else will have an idea of why it won't start.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 02:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm just calling it a Sentry key after reading somewhere that anything but an original key wouldn't dis-arm the immobiliser. or if the programmed key loses its I.D .. thus having to be re-programmed to match the immobiliser.. ( in the way a car radio might need re-coding) .its all i can think of The car wont even jump start.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 04:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You need very basic trouble shooting.
And we need very basic information to help from so far away.
May we assume gas and not diesel.
Is it 1.6L or 2.0/2.4L?

It sounds like the starter motor doesn't turn over the engine? -starter system, battery, relays, ignition switch, fuses, possible sensor, computer

Is there fuel at the fuel rail? Fuel system-fuel pump issues
Is there spark? Ignition system-electrical issues
Is it timing? Broken-belt-sensor-computer issues
Is there an oem or after-market alarm?

Good Luck

Old 24 Mar 2014, 08:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for taking time to read my lengthy opening thread and for your comments. My Cruiser is petrol/ gas and it's a 2.0L .. Sorry for not mentioning it. Today I swapped over the starter relay and the horn relay to verify the integrity of the starter relay .... still no joy.

The OBDII scanner doesn't find a code but picks up "oxygen sens mon inc" and also "catalyst inc".... however I'm assuming these are mentioned purely because the engine wont fire?

**( 1.6 ??? ...wish i could find one of those)**

Last edited by JoKir; 24 Mar 2014 at 08:38 am.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 03:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Some minimal trouble shooting info from the 2004 shop manual.
STARTER FAILS TO ENGAGE.
1. BATTERY DISCHARGED OR FAULTY.
CHARGE OR REPLACE BATTERY, IF REQUIRED.
2. STARTING CIRCUIT WIRING FAULTY.
REFER TO FEED CIRCUIT RESISTANCE TEST AND FEED CIRCUIT TEST
3. STARTER RELAY FAULTY.
REPLACE RELAY, IF NECESSARY.
4. IGNITION SWITCH FAULTY.
REPLACE SWITCH, IF NECESSARY.
5. PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH (AUTO TRANS) FAULTY OR MIS-ADJUSTED.
REFER PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH TEST, IN THE TRANSAXLE SECTION. REPLACE SWITCH, IF NECESSARY.
6. CLUTCH INTERLOCK SWITCH (MAN TRANS) FAULTY.
REFER TO CLUTCH PEDAL POSITION SWITCH TEST, IN THE CLUTCH SECTION. REPLACE SWITCH, IF NECESSARY.
7. STARTER SOLENOID FAULTY.
REPLACE STARTER ASSEMBLY, IF NECESSARY.
8. STARTER ASSEMBLY FAULTY.
IF ALL OTHER STARTING SYSTEM COMPONENTS AND CIRCUITS CHECK OK, REPLACE STARTER ASSEMBLY.
9. FAULTY TEETH ON RING GEAR.
ROTATE FLYWHEEL 360, AND INSPECT TEETH AND RING GEAR REPLACE IF DAMAGED.
10. PCM DOUBLE START OVERRIDE OUTPUT FAILURE.
REFER TO PCM DIAGNOSTIC. CHECK FOR CONTINUITY
BETWEEN PCM AND TERMINAL 85. REPAIR OPEN CIRCUIT
AS REQUIRED. IF OK, PCM MAY BE DEFECTIVE.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 01:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok so I've spent half the day perusing some diagnostic procedure manuals as well as the owners handbook (to see if I had overlooked anything obvious like making sure my foot went right down on the clutch pedal at start ..)

I think I've overloaded my grey matter with technical stuff and it sort of clouded the issues rather than gaining any clear answers. so I took a break from trying and did a few tiny jobs like re-enter the radio code, seen as I had disconnected the battery. I also pressed in all the fuses although I couldn't fathom why the i.o.d wouldn't come out .. oh and I shut the hood, I know it sounds daft but its one more "connector" I suppose... anyhoo, after a cuppa I tried to start the car and.... it struggled to crank. it actually tried to turn, tho I wouldn't say it even did a 360... so then I thought the battery has lost power after many start-up attempts... but the headlights remain bright... what have I done, anything? could the clutch pedal switch be faulty?

Still no dtc's on the OBDII
Failing daylight now so i'll give it a rest till tomorrow. !

Last edited by JoKir; 25 Mar 2014 at 02:24 pm.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 04:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Most car electrical systems do not require much power. Lights on doesn't mean a good battery. The starter requires lots of amperage and a battery can be too weak for the starting circuit needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKir View Post
... so then I thought the battery has lost power after many start-up attempts... but the headlights remain bright... what have I done, anything? could the clutch pedal switch be faulty?
...!
Old 25 Mar 2014, 04:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You may in fact have a battery issue. If the battery is stable but below 12 volts, the electronics will act very strange on some cars.

I don't know what kind of service is available where you live, but here in the US there are several parts stores that will change you battery and then test it for free. You might consider doing this if available. The battery will likely need to change overnight before testing. To be exact, it often hard to properly diagnose a bad battery without first attempting to change it over time.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: 2003 PT Cruiser Limited Edition with start-up problems

Also....Worn cables and/or bad connections may not be allowing full power to reach the starter motor.
Make sure cables & connections are Bristol fashion!

Tags
2003, codes, electrics, faults, ignition