PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Europe PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Key fob not unlocking - alarm going off!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2014, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Key fob not unlocking - alarm going off!

Help! Please!
I have a 2000 PT Cruiser, it was working fine all day until I picked my kids up from after school club, then the fob stopped working and the alarm went off when I opened it using the keys. (Both doors).
It's done this once before, but the fob started working straight away that time. It didn't today.
I have tried both key fobs, and changed the batteries and still nothing!
I haven't dared to try starting the car.

What do I need to do to get my car working? It's been left in the car park at the after school club for now.

Should I try starting the car with my keys? Or will this just cause more problems? I've only owned this car for 6 weeks and it didn't come with a manual, so I apologise if there is an easy and obvious solution that I don't know about!

Thanks
W
Old 12 May 2014, 02:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Key fob not unlocking - alarm going off!

It should start just fine. If you manually push down the locks from inside or use the key to lock it the alarm shouldn't go off when you use the key to unlock it. The remote may just need a new battery.
Old 12 May 2014, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.

I've already tried changing the battery in the remotes, I was too scared to get in and try starting it!

Would I need to unlock all the doors (from inside obviously) and then lock them manually to stop it from happening? (And making sure I don't lock my keys inside the car too!) I'd already tried locking it with the key (after unlocking it with the key), but the alarm still went off when I opened a door. (Although the rear doors were still locked, would that have made a difference?)

Is this a common problem?
Old 12 May 2014, 06:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

It's not uncommon. Unlock the doors using the electric switch. That should disarm the alarm. Then manually lock all the doors. You should then be able to get into the car with the key without the alarm going off. If you use the power switch to lock the doors it will arm the alarm so don't use it. Just manually lock all the doors.

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 12 May 2014 at 06:45 pm.
Old 14 May 2014, 04:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Key fob not unlocking - alarm going off!

Being a 2000 PT Cruiser there is a high probability that your RKE has gone 'kaput',and will need to be replaced.(14 years+electronic part+located in the center of the dash+just under the dashboard+exposed to heat from sunlight=KAPUT)
Of course when the RKE is replaced,you will need to have the fobs re-programmed,and that requires the use of a DRB-III scantool.....Which is an almost 99.9% Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep exclusive tool,finding an independent shop that has one is like finding a needle in a haystack.
If you get a new RKE from a dealer,the new ones may include 2 remotes already programmed.(So I've heard)

PT Cruiser RKE Part#: RECEIVER. Right Hand Drive. Keyless Entry. 2001 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER # 04671879AD

Last edited by randyincctx; 15 May 2014 at 09:15 pm.
Old 14 May 2014, 07:47 pm
Banned

Is that a new model?

QUOTE=randyincctx;523881]Being a 200 PT Cruiser there is a high probability that your RKE has gone 'kaput',and will need to be replaced.(14 years+electronic part+located in the center of the dash+just under the dashboard+exposed to heat from sunlight=KAPUT)
Of course when the RKE is replaced,you will need to have the fobs re-programmed,and that requires the use of a DRB-III scantool.....Which is an almost 99.9% Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep exclusive tool,finding an independent shop that has one is like finding a needle in a haystack.
If you get a new RKE from a dealer,the new ones may include 2 remotes already programmed.(So I've heard)

PT Cruiser RKE Part#: RECEIVER. Right Hand Drive. Keyless Entry. 2001 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER # 04671879AD[/QUOTE]
Old 15 May 2014, 09:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Key fob not unlocking - alarm going off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Is that a new model?
No...The 300 PT Cruiser is!