Advertisements
PT cruiser diesel loosing brakes when mill is on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2015, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT cruiser diesel loosing brakes when mill is on

hello Chrysler lovers,

i need some help and advice from any Chrysler guru's out there,
im a mobile mechanic who recently worked on a UK spec 2.2 pt cruiser diesel turbo.

the issue at the time was a blown turbo boost pipe, a problem im finding common on diesels.

anyway i replaced the faulty pipe was a bitch of a job but im glad to say that all leaks are sealed and the car is now boosting normally.

fast forward 2 weeks and the owner is now complaining that she is loosing her power assistance on her brakes from time to time. so i went to take a look and this is exactly how and what happens....

first i drive and the brakes seem normal, i pump them a few times to see if the vacuum is ok and it seems fine, i continue driving,

the MIL light illuminates and the car goes into limp mode and stops boosting

my first thought is a faulty EGR valve.. however when the car goes into limp mode, well so do the brakes.

not only do they loose the vacuum but it takes ages to re spawn that vacuum which assists the brakes.

i pulled over opened up the bonnet (hood for my american friends) and got the owner to press the brake pedal, to my absolute surprise, when she was pumping the brakes i seen the actuator for the turbo moving in correlation to her foot moving on the brakes.

my understanding is that most cars (especially those of a European origin) have the power brakes system fed off the vacuum of the inlet manifold.

am i safe in assuming that on the pt cruiser the brakes are connected to the plumbing of the turbo?, and if anyone has input on any common faults with this model it would be appreciated
Old 09 Feb 2015, 12:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT cruiser diesel loosing brakes when mill is on

We don't get the "tractor" engine here, but the petrol engine PT uses engine vacuum for brake assist.

What do you mean by " actuator for the turbo " - throttle??? Wastegate???

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Feb 2015, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
We don't get the "tractor" engine here, but the petrol engine PT uses engine vacuum for brake assist.

What do you mean by " actuator for the turbo " - throttle??? Wastegate???
ha "tractor engine" love it!!

umm for the wastegate also i forgot to mention that i have tried plugging in a OBD reader but the OBD i got is European and does not contain american codes
Old 09 Feb 2015, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgracer View Post
ha "tractor engine" love it!!

umm for the wastegate also i forgot to mention that i have tried plugging in a OBD reader but the OBD i got is European and does not contain american codes
Try this to get codes...
How to retrieve fault codes.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Feb 2015, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

hey guys, regarding when i said about the actuator moving when the brakes are applied, this is the part in question found between the firewall and the engine.

does anybody know exactly how the power assisted brakes are plumbed in?
ive followed most vacuum hoses but the disappear in the bowels of the beast!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pl4651-k03_turbo_actuator_for_chrysler_auto_part.jpg (10.1 KB, 11 views)

Tags
brakes, egr valve, pt cruiser 2003, turbocharger, vacuum