Thinking of buying a pt Diesel mpg advice please

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tobymelodeon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2015, 03:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Thinking of buying a pt Diesel mpg advice please

Hi

Just joined as I am thinking of buying a pt! Had one way back in 2007 and at the moment I'm running a generation 5 celica but needing something a bit more economical! So what should I expect mpg wise on the diesel? I seem to remember being disappointed last time as it was way down on what it said on paper! But aren't they all! Also what do I have to look for when I view one?

Thanks in advance

Rich
Old 01 Apr 2015, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Thinking of buying a pt Diesel mpg advice please

Welcome.
MPG depends on many factors.
The PT goes thru suspension bushings (bushes) - the diesel is quite reliable, there are issues with tubing to intercooler working loose.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Apr 2015, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

im gonna guess you are NOT in the USA???? beacuse we can not ahve the desiel over here i think it is a 2.0 crd motor and from what folks on here have said its in the 40mpg range but since we can only have duramax or cummings or powerstroke or what ever is in the VWs we really dont know

Im LOVE a desiel with a 6 speed tranny in the 2 door truck format
Old 01 Apr 2015, 03:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
im gonna guess you are NOT in the USA???? beacuse we can not ahve the desiel over here i think it is a 2.0 crd motor and from what folks on here have said its in the 40mpg range but since we can only have duramax or cummings or powerstroke or what ever is in the VWs we really dont know

Im LOVE a desiel with a 6 speed tranny in the 2 door truck format
In the UK it's a Mercedes 2.2 CRD - mine does about 34-37mpg urban, 40 on a motorway run. If you're looking for economy, don't buy one IMO
Old 01 Apr 2015, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod9669 View Post
In the UK it's a Mercedes 2.2 CRD - mine does about 34-37mpg urban, 40 on a motorway run. If you're looking for economy, don't buy one IMO
well if you are looking for economy go for a prius or some other ugly thing a GAS Pt will just get a little over 20 maybe 23-24 so you are looking at 10mpg better and yes i know desiel is higher over here no idea what it is over there

id love a Desiel PT but slas its not to be
Old 02 Apr 2015, 03:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys!

I'm not after something that's mega economical although that would be nice! It's just that I'm running a '92 generation 5 celica at the moment and wanting something that I'm not going to be worried about killing on the sheffield school run! Wanting it to still turn heads but not cost me stupid amounts in fuel!

Rich
Old 21 Apr 2015, 03:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have 2 CD-R cruisers and get very different consumption from each...
02 crd gets about 35 round town and about 40 on long runs
04 crd gets 40 round town and nearly 50 on long runs...
Depends how you set them up and how you drive. Love mine tho and would never go back to an old boring car!
cruserdad1976 likes this.

2002 PT Cruiser CRD in Bright Silver.

Current Upgrades
Chrome door handle cups, chrome pillar covers, tinted windows, custom vinyl flame decals, alloy wheel decals, Enrgy bush kit, Engine cover MOD, LED Side Repeaters
17" Ace Manta Alloys, Red Brake callipers, Front grille MOD

Project list (wish list)
Rear bumper mod to DIY roll pan
Custom paint job (probably purple front end with flames running into the silver)
Air intake upgrade...
Old 25 Jun 2015, 02:10 am
Young Cruiser

Mine's an 03 and I get a minimum of 43mpg and nearer 48 on a run.

Apart from the front suspension bushes/ARB links (all cheap), the biggest issue seems to be blow-by on the injectors,giving clouds of black smoke. These frequently strip threads when you are repairing/changing them but thread repair kits are easily available,easy to use and cheap (25 per),particularly when you only change the washer.Expect replacement injectors to be about 125 each. With about 60 worth of tools to be able to do it yourself.
Old 18 Jun 2016, 03:46 am
Young Cruiser

Location: The place where the Game of Thrones accent comes from.

Fuelly website is good for mpg figures. Though of the 300 PT cruiser entries only one is diesel.
Chrysler PT Cruiser Mileage | Fuelly

He's getting 41mpg average which is about the same as a Merc with the same engine.
Old 25 Jun 2016, 01:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

On a run from Dorchester to Manchester and back a couple of weekends ago I got 52.3 out of my crd. This included around 2 hours of stop start traffic on the M6, and driving around Manchester town centre. I was chuffed to bits with that!

Currently pootling around to and from work (approx 45 miles per day) I'm getting late 40's, but this is mostly A road driving.