Advertisements
rear wishbone bolt

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By davesquire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2015, 11:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry rear wishbone bolt

I am changing the front left (nearside in the UK) wishbone (suspension arm?) and have removed everything except the rear bolt that seams to be loose but not undoing. Is there any way of getting to the nut on top of this? It looks like its in a box section of the suspension and totally inaccessible. Is that so?
Changed the other side no problem.

2006 touring crd (the merc engine one)
Old 31 Oct 2015, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: rear wishbone bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesquire View Post
I am changing the front left (nearside in the UK) wishbone (suspension arm?) and have removed everything except the rear bolt that seams to be loose but not undoing. Is there any way of getting to the nut on top of this? It looks like its in a box section of the suspension and totally inaccessible. Is that so?

its called a lower control arm here. There are some pictures and write ups on accessing that nut through the floor board. Someone will likely come along and post it up for you. I put anti seize on my bolts to prevent this in the future.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Oct 2015, 02:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesquire View Post

What has happened is the captured nut with square washer is probably spinning
inside the cage.
Under the carpet there is a recess exactly where you need to access the spinning bolt, it a depression just below the brake pedal, I made short work of mine with an air chisel and cut three sides, left the top for a hinge.
Your choices are to get some someone to tack weld the nut to the frame, then heat the nut cherry red which will most likely free the nut.
Or you can try to heat the nut and then jamb something in against the captured nut to try to keep it from turning.

Heating the nut sometimes takes more than one try, then cooling it with spray lube WD 40 or blaster. Reheat, cool, reheat I used impact gun.
Try not to just force the bolt and break it, If you have to drill it out, thats a lot of steel to dril and a real pain.
but if the bolt breaks you would have to drill it out.
May be you can jamb something in there to stop it from turning.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 01 Nov 2015, 03:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks JoeX.
Since posting, BBS suggestions came up and lo and behold I found its a common problem with as you all say a known solution in the States.
Like you I have a bit of a track record with old motors (but not as many as you) so generally have the kit to fix it. I needed a way to do it as I was pretty fed up after all the work I already did for this years MOT test.

Thanks for the advice on how to remove nut. That's great.
Out there and at it in a bit when the fog has gone and the neighbours are up. Its 8.44am here so still a bit early. I have access to an excellent engineers supplies and Chrysler dealer if I have to cut the bolt so no worries.

Thanks for swift response and all your help.

Will come back and let you know progress asap.

Cheers, Dave
Gkon likes this.
Old 01 Nov 2015, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Have a hole in the floor in the right place but struggling to stop very rusty (as good as round) caged nut from rotating.

Anyone any ideas apart from welding it? Would prefer to not weld if poss. I am OK with flat sheets and general bodywork like sills and floors but that's a bit confined in there for me. My old welding mask doesn't help and I don't want to screw up the bolt thread by mistake.

Left it all soaking in penetrating oil for now but need to have it done by Friday.

Thanks in advance, Dave
Old 02 Nov 2015, 02:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Weld eventually held (its right rusty and filthy in there)

At last, bolt forcefully removed with knackered thread.

It was crossed when put in during assembly. Great QC.

Obtained new bolt from local engineering supplier to correct spec. All threads OK. Re assemble tomorrow.
Old 02 Nov 2015, 05:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Glad you got it out

Tags
bush, suspension, suspension arm, suspension bolt