Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Europe PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Constant droning noise - 2003 diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2016, 05:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Constant droning noise - 2003 diesel

Hi Guys, Anyone have any advice please for the following, car MOT'd successfully last week,no advisories but: Constant droning (maybe whirry) noise from the front only when on the move and at pretty much any speed,volume may increase slightly at higher speed but not much in it.

No change in sound when wheels turned either way. No breaks in sound to indicate tyres down to tread wear bars and tread looks ok anyway.

No change in sound when braking (other than whirry noise slowing down at same volume) Has recently had one bottom arm replaced, both track rod ends, ARB links and central ARB rubbers too, also new front discs/pads.

If front of car is on stands and engine idling and in gear, no sound.

About to try front to rear tyre swap just in case but not expecting anything out of it.

Engine doesn't appear to be moving about but could mounting cause this?
How about turbo tube (no difference in performance or economy though, still a steady 45mpg).

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks. Tom
Old 16 Jan 2016, 11:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Constant droning noise - 2003 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie1 View Post
Hi Guys, Anyone have any advice please for the following, car MOT'd successfully last week,no advisories but: Constant droning (maybe whirry) noise from the front only when on the move and at pretty much any speed,volume may increase slightly at higher speed but not much in it.

No change in sound when wheels turned either way. No breaks in sound to indicate tyres down to tread wear bars and tread looks ok anyway.

No change in sound when braking (other than whirry noise slowing down at same volume) Has recently had one bottom arm replaced, both track rod ends, ARB links and central ARB rubbers too, also new front discs/pads.

If front of car is on stands and engine idling and in gear, no sound.

About to try front to rear tyre swap just in case but not expecting anything out of it.

Engine doesn't appear to be moving about but could mounting cause this?
How about turbo tube (no difference in performance or economy though, still a steady 45mpg).

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks. Tom
Your front wheel bearings may be bad.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 17 Jan 2016, 06:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes, that was one of my first thoughts. The only thing that puts me off that is the lack of change in noise level when cornering, so you can't narrow it down to either side. I have bought the bearings and will change them fairly shortly as a precaution (car is on 125000 miles) but am currently not convinced.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I should perhaps add that the drive is as good as ever, clutch and gearbox seem perfect, engine acceleration is good, no noise from power steering and that is still as smooth as ever too. Frustrating!

Last edited by Alfie1; 17 Jan 2016 at 06:11 pm. Reason: one sentence wrongly put together
Old 27 May 2016, 06:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Any chance both bearings are on their way out?

Also try running your hand around the circumference of the tyres. If you can feel any tread edges then your tyres have started stepping/sawtoothing -

The start of 'Sawtooth' rear tyres? vRS Estate 2010 year - Skoda Octavia II (2004 - 2013) - BRISKODA

My wife's Audi TT did this until we changed both rear tyres. It sounded just like a bearing but wasn't affected by corners. Almost sounded like an aeroplane coming in to land when slowing from motorway speeds! New tyres on and it's been silent ever since
Old 27 May 2016, 08:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Look up Edd China and if you live close to his shop, take it to him. Wheeler Dealers!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 04:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi guys, Thanks for the advice. Did turn out to be both wheel bearings, finally did them this week when I could get use of the press and it was a dry day, it was fairly straightforward in the end. Though it took a good hour or so to cut part of the bearing off each hub. Needless to say the usual bearing separator kit wouldn't touch it.

So, final cost 26 for both bearings (ebay) and 10 donation for the use of the press and what a difference.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What are the odds of both being shot at the same time?

Enjoy the silence
Old 07 Jun 2016, 01:30 am
Young Cruiser

Well, I've not had both go together on any car but I do tend to swap out the same thing on both sides at the same time regardless. At that cost it would have been worth it anyway just because I had the use of the press and had to take a day off to use it.