Advertisements
UK Members-how much to replace head gasket

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2016, 02:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default UK Members-how much to replace head gasket

Not sure yet, still a few more tests to be done but if it does prove head gasket is blown (overheating, bubbling up through header tank) any idea how much this would cost to replace in UK.

I assume this is a pretty big job, I have done this on older cars without OHC but not keen on pulling the timing belt and cams, etc.

2L petrol no turbo
Old 25 Apr 2016, 03:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: UK Members-how much to replace head gasket

Before letting someone tell you it's the head gasket, have the system pressure tested. Be sure to include the radiator cap and the hose running from the filler neck to the over flow jug (header tank). I recently had a problem with mine and the thermostat wasn't opening soon enough and was causing bubbling in the (header tank). I replaced the thermostat and still had the problem. So I replaced the radiator cap and that cured the problem for me. Do you see any white smoke coming from the tail pipe? Check the oil and see it there are any bubbles on the dip stick and lastly, remove the radiator cap and see if the antifreeze looks like a milkshake. If you don't have any of these symptoms, odds are that you DON'T need a head gasket.
ptprice likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 26 Apr 2016, 09:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the advice.

I swapped rad cap with my PT so its not that, water is not frothy or creamy and no bubbles on dip stick. I have not checked for white smoke, good call. I do have a thermostat on order. Will be trying that this weekend.

Only other thing that is making me think it might be head gasket is that sometimes when the car is started from cold it feels like it is firing on 3 but a couple of minutes and tickling the throttle and all is well.
Old 26 Apr 2016, 04:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You may just need to put some new plugs and wires on it. Have you ever done that and if so, how many miles or years ago? I like the OEM recommended Champion spark plugs for mine, but everyone has a preferred brand. I just figure the engineers put that specific plug in it for a reason and that's good enough for me.

Old 28 Apr 2016, 07:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi

I am the rep for UK Cruiser Club Kent Area, are you a member of the club, if not it may be worth you joining as you can get discounts on part.

I use a mechanic in Higham, just down the road from you, he is called A1 Chrysler, it my be worth you contacting him, his name is Terry Cloke telephone number 07437 583783, my number is 07971 152515 if you want a chat about this.
Old 02 May 2016, 01:58 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks all. I replaced the thermostat this weekend and had to take the inlet manifld off to get to the thermostat housing and found white gunge in one of the inlet pipes and white exhaust fumes. Neither are good signs. See photos.

I guess that if there is water getting in to the inlet manifold it can only come from a burnt/damaged inlet valve along with either a head gasket gone or damaged head to get water in to the cylinder in the first place.

This being the case I think it is terminal for this car. Such a shame my wife does enjoy driving her PT.

What makes it worse is I spent 1200 last year having the autobox completely rebuilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car1.jpg (98.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg car2.jpg (94.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg car3.jpg (86.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 02 May 2016, 06:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Yeah, those are not good signs. I'd suggest getting it to a shop ASAP. It does look like an oil and water mixture to me.