PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Europe PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What's the difference between a 119hp cdi and the 148hp engine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2016, 10:22 am
Young Cruiser

Location: The place where the Game of Thrones accent comes from.
Question What's the difference between a 119hp cdi and the 148hp engine?

Hi, I'm new but old and pretty car savvy or I used to be.
Don't take me the wrong way I'm a good egg.
Whats the difference between the two engines? I suspect its got to be mapping,injectors or turbo?
Searched the net and found nothing.
Also if I get one I will be remapping it,anyone done this themselves? I've done a couple of other cars and I can copy a tuned map if I get my hands on one so that the VIN and everything are right.
Old 17 Jun 2016, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What's the difference between a 119hp cdi and the 148hp engine?

29 HP.
It apparently was an evolution of the engine - I found this write-up from Sept 2005:
"The 2.2-litre diesel engine that is the overwhelming favourite among UK buyers also benefited from some effective remedial work, giving it significantly more power and improved fuel economy at the same time. Indeed, the engineers did such a good job, it feels like a completely new engine with lots of low-down torque and a decent turn of speed when pressed."
It doesn't say what the "remedial work" was.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Location: The place where the Game of Thrones accent comes from.
Default Re: What's the difference between a 119hp cdi and the 148hp engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
29 HP.
It apparently was an evolution of the engine - I found this write-up from Sept 2005:
"The 2.2-litre diesel engine that is the overwhelming favourite among UK buyers also benefited from some effective remedial work, giving it significantly more power and improved fuel economy at the same time. Indeed, the engineers did such a good job, it feels like a completely new engine with lots of low-down torque and a decent turn of speed when pressed."
It doesn't say what the "remedial work" was.
I know they have different ECM's as I've run two cars through Celtic tunings website to identify them to see if my MPPS flasher can read and write to them and it looks like it will.It did however give different levels of tune for the cars so I'm thinking there is something mechanically different as well
Think the first thing I will have to do is to start looking at a replacement turbos to see if they are different.

EDIT: Just been on eBay and they do have different turbos it seems.

Last edited by Trillion; 17 Jun 2016 at 12:59 pm.