Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Europe PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Impossible to press 2.2 diesel clutch pedal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2016, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Impossible to press 2.2 diesel clutch pedal

My 2.2 turbo diesel has a strange intermittent problem.

After driving at high speed the clutch pedal becomes impossible to press. Knocking the gear box into neutral coasting to a halt and waiting a few seconds results in the clutch pedal working again.

A garage has looked at it but without the fault present couldn't diagnose the problem. Fluid level is ok.

Any suggestions please?
Old 07 Nov 2016, 02:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Impossible to press 2.2 diesel clutch pedal

First, I've never seen a 2.2 turbo diesel PT and I've never had the privilege of working on a PT with a manual transmission. However, I have worked on many trucks and cars with a setup similar to your PT.

That said, the clutch is hydraulic. And the slave cylinder is integrated into the throw-out bearing where you can't inspect it. But here's something to try. Jack the PT up where someone can get beneath it. Have them hold and twist the rubber hose running from the clutch master cylinder. As someone else pushes in on the clutch, the rubber hose may stiffen since the fluid inside is pressurized at that point. If the person operating the clutch canget it to jam, continue to the hold down on the pedal with it jammed. If the stiffness in the hose remains, it may be in the slave cylinder or clutch itself. If the hose is not stiff when jammed, the jam may be in the clutch master cylinder.

This is a useful procedure on some other vehicles and may be on a PT as well. And it will cost nothing to try. Hopefully, others with PT clutch experience will chime in with other helpful advice.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Nov 2016 at 02:29 pm.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Impossible to press 2.2 diesel clutch pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwindonCruiser View Post
My 2.2 turbo diesel has a strange intermittent problem.

After driving at high speed the clutch pedal becomes impossible to press. Knocking the gear box into neutral coasting to a halt and waiting a few seconds results in the clutch pedal working again.

A garage has looked at it but without the fault present couldn't diagnose the problem. Fluid level is ok.

Any suggestions please?
Did you resolve this issue?

Tags
2.2, clutch, diesel