TIPM dreaded problem

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2018, 01:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: TIPM dreaded problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Good thing you got your other head light going. Gives you more time!
more time to procrastinate
Old 12 Apr 2018, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

what about this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Integrate...-/391399658051

Obviously, I would be looking for one that doesn't require dealership programming.
rckstein and myckee like this.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 02:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfromwales View Post
what about this one?

Obviously, I would be looking for one that doesn't require dealership programming.
I think that one will be fine. They ship to the UK too. After you pay the shipping and tax and pay to return the core, the 200 core refund you would get back, will have been all used up. So your final price will be right around the $500 USD mark I would guess.
rckstein likes this.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 04:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for taking your time to do that.

Is the figures you quoted correct? The final amount being $1000+??

I've clicked on your link but all i see is a part that is out of stock?
$1000 for the dealership one is about the going rate.

RockAuto had the CARDONE in stock when I made my post.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
155k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 14 Apr 2018, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
what about this one?

That one should work fine, it's the same one I had in my PT, and per my previous post, the dealership confirmed that your PT uses the same as the NA.

It's plug-n-play, just follow the simple included programming instructions.

Here are the Dorman TIPM installation instruction:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f39dr85vbn...tions.pdf?dl=0

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 14 Apr 2018 at 06:17 pm.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 03:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Barry; The 'dropbox.com' address above from Rickstein is interesting info. The parts manual for a 2006-2008 PT shows 2 TIPMs. one for a convertible. One for a wagon.

If the headlight is the only problem you have, I'd open the TIPM and look inside to see if there are signs of water stains. If not, yours is probably just as dependable as any other used/reman unit you would install. Which brings up the question, what do they do to it call it a reman?
Old 15 Apr 2018, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Barry; The 'dropbox.com' address above from Rickstein is interesting info. The parts manual for a 2006-2008 PT shows 2 TIPMs. one for a convertible. One for a wagon.

If the headlight is the only problem you have, I'd open the TIPM and look inside to see if there are signs of water stains. If not, yours is probably just as dependable as any other used/reman unit you would install. Which brings up the question, what do they do to it call it a reman?
That's what I would like to know, what do they actually do to the TIPM to "remanufacture" it?!

When I bought the Dorman, I opened it up to see the inside and this is what I found:

Everything on the circuit boards is sealed under some sort of an epoxy or other compound that helps to keep the circuit board and components protected from water intrusion. In the above pic, near the bottom edge of the circuit board you can see the sealing compound.

So if they "remanufacture" these TIPM's, how would they remove the sealing compound to replace any board components, without actually destroying the circuit board?

In my opinion, they basically have to replace the entire circuit board with a new one, with new components?

Also, I can't see them reusing the case as the Dorman one that I got was in a new case.

So if it's all new components, then again, what do they "remanufacture" on these, and why do they need a core back if they don't reuse anything?! Inquiring minds would like to know. I would like to get in contact with a company that actually does any "remanufacturing" and ask them.

When I removed the old TIPM from my PT I also opened that one up as I wanted to see the condition inside. The 11 year old TIPM was just as clean and nice inside as the new one. There was no evidence that any water had ever gotten inside the case, so that's a testimony as to how well sealed these must be.

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 15 Apr 2018 at 08:26 am.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 10:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
That's what I would like to know, what do they actually do to the TIPM to "remanufacture" it?!

Of the two Dorman units I had pass through my hands, one had a similar label as Rick posted, with a Dorman branded top cover. The second one also had the Dorman sticker, but the factory Chrysler sticker was also there, and it had the original Chrysler top cover too.

I now think that the refurbishing is as simple as re-flashing the unit. The programming on them likely becomes corrupted and a simple reflash is all that is done to refurbish them.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Of the two Dorman units I had pass through my hands, one had a similar label as Rick posted, with a Dorman branded top cover. The second one also had the Dorman sticker, but the factory Chrysler sticker was also there, and it had the original Chrysler top cover too.

I now think that the refurbishing is as simple as re-flashing the unit. The programming on them likely becomes corrupted and a simple reflash is all that is done to refurbish them.
I currently have the $1000 MOPAR replacement TIPM in my PT and it came with a DORMAN top cover:

So it could be: (1) that DORMAN "remanufactures" them for MOPAR, or (2) MOPAR just buys the replacement DORMAN top covers to supply with their units. But I don't think it's (2) because I had bought a replacement MOPAR top cover and it did not have the DORMAN name on it. So MOPAR does make their own top covers and if they remanufactured the TIPM's themselves, then they would most likely supply their own plain top cover with their TIPM's. So it must more likely be (1), that DORMAN "remanufactures" them and puts a MOPAR sticker on them and a DORMAN top cover.

But the label on the box from the MOPAR TIPM says it was "Made in Mexico"

This is just too confusing, how a DORMAN top cover got on a MOPAR made part?

But one thing I don't like about the DORMAN top cover is that it does not have the fuse legend on the bottom side of the cover, like the OEM cover does. The DORMAN just gives you the fuse location # then you have to refer to the Owner's Manual to see what location controls what circuit.

On the underside of the OEM cover, it has the fuse # as well as what circuit it controls. Had I known this, I would have kept the OEM top cover and not have sent that in with the core. I wish I could find an OEM top cover with the legend, but even the new OEM ones now only come the same as the DORMAN, with just the fuse #.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 17 Apr 2018, 05:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The good news is that you have a genuine authentic Mopar cardboard box!!!

Did some snooping about TIPMs last night and found some interesting info. from 3 different sites.
RPM Extreme .com reprograms them.
TSB 08-021-06 - shows that TIPMs can be reset for the tail/signal lights. The trucks pulling trailers that short out their lights are screaming. And I don't blame them for not buying another Dodge truck if the dealer charges them a grand to fix a taillight.

Plowsite.com claims that the same TSB flash will turn on non working headlights.

You Tube 'Dodge headlight problems' -- 'don't waste your money' also has a car owner [female] who tells an interesting story about her Caliber headlights.

I'm able to change headlight on or off when I open the door with the remote. While in the front seat. With a few touches of a button.

The pay-in doesn't stop.

Tags
tipm